Computer Science in Science PD: Introduction to Complex Adaptive Systems - Discussion

There are so many complex adaptive systems in science from the way organs in the body work together to the way weather patterns emerge from a complex system of molecules and energy working simultaneously together.

New science teacher, but speaking scientifically, I would say evolution is a good example.

In the past, I taught Chemistry and I would say that molecules create patterns and are apart of a CAS. A complex adaptive system can also be seen in the ecosystem.

I agree! It would be a good starting point with which they’re all familiar and would get them talking about science/computer science without even knowing it.

Any molecules that make up a larger system are all parts of a complex adaptive system. You could apply this in many areas of science depending on the topic/grade level you are currently teaching.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is the energy transfer in a lava lamp. Convection occuring happens on the macroscopic level due to expansion/contraction of the wax/oil in the lamp, but also on the particle level due to changes in the kinetic energy of particles.

Plant growth/life cycle/survival are part of a complex adaptive system. Plants interact with each other and other biotic & abiotic factors.

The first CAS that comes to mind is the Ecosystems unit, specifically the food web. As one population thrives, another will decrease decline of the original species.

I see weather as being an example. A large flock of sheep in distress especially. They follow but do not have a leader.

I have taught this before with 6th graders. And this complex adaptive system would be great in the computer modeling system.

We just had a tornado blow through northern Illinois. I wonder if this is classified as a complex adaptive system. The individual parts aren’t making decisions but there are rules and emergent patterns.

The circulatory system can be considered a complex system since there are patterns found in the pathways blood takes. Each part (capillaries, arteries, veins) behaves in an individual way, but they all act together to keep the heart functioning.

I love finding patterns in anything, and I love how an ecosystem always has a link from one place to another and back. Like the example of the flock of birds, there isn’t a leader in that system.

Symbiotic relationships, the ecological relationships among various organisms, demonstrate complex adaptive systems. In commensalism, there is a relationship between organisms where one benefits positively while the other is not affected at all; in mutualism, both organisms benefit positively from the relationship; while in parasitism, only one organisms gets positive benefits while the other is harmed. All three relationships help perpetuate and support the process of life.

I teach life science and would say that the systems of the human body are complex adaptive systems. If we think about the endocrine system and the hormones our body produces to regulate other areas, it’s pretty complex.

I would agree with you. We might think of a tornado as being random, but there is a definite pattern on how they form and move.

While watching the flock of birds, I couldn’t help but think of kids on the playground. I began to think that that would be a good project for kids to model. First they could identify the rules of the playground and then model kids’ movements and see how close it comes to the actual movement on actual recess. Just a thought.

I agree that ecosystems are a Complex Adaptive System because of the changes going within the ecosystem.

In Chemistry, complex adaptive systems occur at the atomic level. Atoms all behave in a certain individual way. They also follow certain rules when it comes to how they behave in an element as a whole. When changing between the different states of matter, each element follows a certain pattern of changes.

The endocrine system is a complex adaptive system in living organisms. It is leaderless, has a feedback loop, and adapts to changes. Amazing.