Computer Science in Science PD: Introduction to Complex Adaptive Systems - Discussion

Initially, I am thinking of an ecosystem as a complex adaptive system within life science. I am also realizing that we see them within smaller groups of an ecosystem such as populations and communities. It is very interesting.

Air and water molecules that form part of a weather system interact with each other and weather patterns emerge.

Symbiosis is an example of a complex adaptive system. Agents are acting on their own, it’s leaderless, and patterns emerge.

In terms of physical science convection currents and airfoils come to mind. The molecules in fluids move as stated in complex adaptive systems.

I can see these systems in the living world and the interaction of organisms and there environment.

Our Solar System is a CAS. All the celestial bodies rotate and revolve around the Sun at different speed; however they are perfect synchronized.

Food webs are a complex adaptive system. Each organism acts as an individual, but yet forms a pattern when viewed from a larger perspective.

As a math teacher, I have not dealt much with Complex Adaptive Systems yet. However, I can see them all over the place in my day to day routine. The ant hills that I try desperately to get rid of in my yard to the patterns of bass as they migrate in Lake Lanier where my son and I fish are both systems that I encounter regularly. The movements of the individual is an important aspect of both systems and the ability to use simulation to track fish patterns makes for better days on the lake.

In Physical Science I would consider molecular motion as being a complex adaptive system.

I have been teaching about the Great Lakes ecosystem. This is a very complex system. It would be interesting to model individual Lakes; multiple Lakes in the system; invasive and native species.

I would say the hydrologic cycle is a complex adaptive system. Population growth, land use, pollution, greenhouse effect work either for or against sustainability of our water source (especially fresh water source needed for human survival).

The human body in general is a CAS. Meiosis and the combinations of genetic material and mutations that occur to make each individual unique is a go example of a CAS. The management of resources can also be included in this topic.

1 Like

The many interactions that occur in an ecosystem would be an example of a complex adaptive system.

Chemical reactions are an example of a CAS. The molecules must bump into each other and react in a way that allows them to reach a more stable configuration.

1 Like

That would be a great idea for a module. Analyzing what happens to native species in a local ecosystem once an invasive species is introduced. We have plenty to choose from here in the Everglades.

In physical science we see lots of complex systems. Molecules come to mind as they change states of matter and flow in terms of heat. I also think you could make gravity and other forces complex systems as well.

I teach physical science - there are some correlations I can see with the movement of atoms within different states

I teach Physical Science I would say elements and molecules are complex adaptive systems.

In my content, the behaviors of fish in an ecosystem, or the interaction among species in an ecosystem.

Something as everyday as the schools we teach in, the rules that are implemented, how those rules are enforced and the culture it creates might be considered an example of a complex adaptive system.