Computer Science in Science PD: Introduction to Complex Adaptive Systems - Discussion

I am going to have to agree with several others and give my best example of a CAS to be the human body.

An example of a complex adaptive system in physical science is electron configuration.

We determined in class today that ecosystems and population dynamics would be an example of a Complex Adaptive System because it has many agents all following simple rules, is leaderless, is self organizing, and difficult to predict. I also think that genetics and heredity would be a complex adaptive system.

I can see how a CAS applies to equilibrium in chemical equations… and maybe half life models in radioactive decay

Ecosystems - specifically invasive species such as zebra mussels in the Great Lakes and Puget Sound.

The systems of the Human Body could be a complex adaptive system.

I teach an ecology unit to 6th graders that really shows complex adaptive systems. I think that using CS will really help my students see the patterns that we discuss and try to represent though games and graphs!

Weather patterns would be a complex adaptive system - the interaction between atmospheric factors and the land and water features of earth’s surface.

Thanks for this example. Easy to use to get my students thinking about an every day observation in terms of CAS.

The motion of molecules is a complex adaptive system.

Solar system is example of a complex adaptive system. There is the sun and all the planets and celestial bodies moving at their own pace. While they are independent of each other, they all show some similar patterns and it seems to follow some similar rules.

I think it would be interesting to look at viral videos and memes on the Internet or specifically social media.

Rivers are an example of a Complex Adaptive System. No leader, behave by a simple set of rules, and there are emergent patterns.

Normal functioning cells in conjunction with mutated cells or even the entry of a virus on a cellular level, I think, would be examples of complex adaptive systems.

I like this. Or the transfer of energy in oceans that create the currents there.

Energy is an example of a complex adaptive system as many independent variables lead to a unified pattern of energy flow.

I agree with you! This is something I am excited to teach my students about this year, and I am even more excited to bring in coding to this unit!

When I teach about climate change, what is happening in the Arctic is an example of positive feedback. The warmer is gets the more ice melts. Since the water is darker than the ice it absorbs more radiation and melts more.

What an interesting thought! It definitely as features of a CAS, but I think I would argue the “leaderless” element. I don’t think there is a leader in the traditional sense, but I think in many instances we see collusion to produce the desired outcome.

An example of a complex adaptive system that comes to mind is storm clouds. There is no one “leader” cloud, but when a group of storm clouds interact different results will happen.