Computer Science in Science PD: Introduction to Computational Science - Discussion

The advantage of computational science over the way I learned science is it makes the science come alive. Whether it is watching molecules change due to pressure, a fire spread over terrain or the way and epidemic spreads it makes more sense and more real when watching the simulation as opposed to solving a math problem about the situation.

Instead of just running 3 trials in one experiment, one can now run virtually unlimited numbers of trials and various experiments, with minimal resource use.

An example of an experiment I might conduct in computational science is radioactive decays of alpha, beta and gamma particles, this is related to how we get the heat generated from the sun in the real world.

Science is taught very differently now then when I was in school because it was all textbook based before. I find that it now depends on the teacher and if they are willing to go out of their comfort zone and learn the computer science part of science and give students the ability to put their learning into action. I find that students are able to take ownership of their learning when they have the chance to see it in action and not just read about it in a textbook.

I think computational science is a more hands on approach to understanding complex science scenarios. I think an algae bloom in the ocean or river would be an interesting investigation for this.

when looking at the wind flow over an airfoil, we always used computer simulation.

This would be great for use with stream tables, love the ROYGBIV

The difference between what I learned in science class and what is accomplished by computational science is that computational science is able to address problems and concepts that I was unable to test in the classroom. The models it creates are far more complex and are able to consider far more variables than I would have been able to calculate.

The example in the video of predicting the growth of forest fires and being able to improve response to the fires and evacuation decisions makes me think that it could be used in Houston to produce better predictions of the impact of hurricanes and flooding to where the city can be more prepared.

Perhaps I can use a model to help explain to student’s what nuclear fission is. When we discussed renewable resources I just explained it to them. I don’t think they truly understood it A simulation would give them more of a mental picture although having them go to a nuclear plant would be impossible.

That’s a great idea, we simply tell kids that this happens and expect them to learn it. If we can simulate it than they could have some evidence to support their claims.

Computational Science helps with real worlds issues in an interactive way. When I was in school we learned through textbook and not many hands on activities.

computational science would be a great way to show the body systems and how they work together. students could see the oxygen flow into the body and follow it’s path as travels through the circulatory system to reach it’s final destination

Wow, learning about computational science is amazing. It is similar to how I learned science with topics and experiments but the ability is expanded exponentially. There are many experiments I could conduct that would not be possible in a traditional science lab. One might be how the erosion of a river running through a town might take place over time. Students could analyze where buildings should be built for the long term and what has already been built that might be problematic.

Computational science is different because it allows students to run experiments of real-world issues that might not be possible within the constraints of a classroom or school year. A good application of computation science could be running a natural selection experiment or decay rate lab.

Computational Science is a great tool that allows learners to become actively engaged in what they are learning. It is definitely a different way of learning science by applying real world situations by using simulations to observe various outcomes. This would have been an exciting thing to do when I was in middle/high school. I can see students getting excited about what they are learning when they are allowed to use computational science.

When I was in 8th grade computers were just coming out! This computational science is amazing! Students nowadays can use these models to see how systems are connected and how predictions can be made concerning real day problems. Students can look at problems globally not just what is in their local community. I can see students developing a simulated experiment with water usage and water waste.

When I learned science in school it was mainly using a textbook. We completed labs in class, but they were simple. I remember labs really focused using measuring tools. Nowadays students have a hard time understanding measuring. I would like to have students work on an experiment that shows a systems potential and kinetic energy. It would give students a nice visual of energy moving from potential to kinetic energy as the system completes a specific task.

When I learned science complex systems were only discussed. By using computational science models each student can experiment with systems that would take years or far too expensive to study.

Students could use computational models to study the effect of loss or gain of predators in an ecosystem

Computational science allows you to experiment with real-world issues in a setting that you can afford. Schools don’t have a lot of money, so if you can show students a simulation of what might occur in a hurricane, they will have a better understanding of what can happen and what steps need to be taken to ensure people’s safety.

I have used a lot of very simple computational models in the classroom. These models are so simple that the students can use dice and playing cards to operate the model. These analog models are transparent; but they are much simpler than the fabulous models made by professionals. The use of models can make difficult concepts clear and logical.