Computer Science in Science PD: Meet and Greet

Hello, I am also a CPS teacher. With technology, How do you plan to implement code.org lessons?

My name is Wendy Garz. I have been teaching for 21 years. I am currently teaching 6th grade math and science. I have very little experience with CS.

Hi, I’m Reda. I teach 7th and 8th grade Science. (Life and Earth) I also teach an elective called Science & Technology Lab. I look forward to learning code, and discovering ways to integrate it into all of my classes!!

My name is Andrea and next year will be my 5th year teaching 7th grade math and life science.

My name is Jennifer and I am beginning my 10th year of teaching a combination of language arts, math, and science in middle school.

Hi
My name is DeeDee Mann. This will be my 19th year teaching, but my first year teaching computer science in my science classes. I’ve always taught junior high science except for student teaching when I taught at the high school level. I’m looking forward to adding code.org to my classroom. I think it will enhance their real-world knowledge of how predictions can be made.

Hello all, My name is Josh Bearman (pronounced just like it is spelled). I am a 4th year Middle School Science teacher in Richmond VA. I have taught, Life, Physical, and Earth Science and will be teaching only Earth Science in the upcoming year. Before becoming a teacher, I have been a marine science grad student, an environmental educator, and, most recently a touring bluegrass musician.

My name is Donia Spott and I’ve taught Physical Science to 7th and 8th graders for 22 years. It’s been 25 or more years since I had a programming course so I’m excited about learning this!

Hello,

My name is Mindy Westfall, and this year will be my 3rd year teaching middle school science. My grade level varies each year, but this coming year, I’ll be teaching 7th and 8th grade science. I have a B.A. is Management Information Systems and got a certificate in website management, so I have a little bit of familiarity with coding, but not in a teaching aspect.

Hi Victoria!

How long have you been teaching? And what grades do you teach?

Mindy

Hi, My name is Julie Reissig. I have been teaching Life Science over twenty years now in Texas, Colorado, and now Virginia.

My name is Julie and I am new to code.org. too. I look forward to implementing what I learn

Hello. My name is Michele. I teach middle school science including Physical and Earth. I have been teaching middle school for 17 years. I also have taught math for some of these years. Before switching to education in college I was a computer science major, but my heart took me in another direction. I am happy to have the opportunity to revisit this field.

Hi Jennifer. I sometimes struggle teacher physical and earth sciences, but the fact that you are teaching three different subjects is like, “wow”. How difficult is it to prep for all three?

Hi! My name is Elif and I have been teaching for 14 years. I am currently in Chesterfield, VA and am excited as well as nervous about this coding adventure.

Hello, my name is Terry Galion. I teach 6th and 7th grade science in Orange, CA. I have no prior experience in computer science but am greatly looking forward to using it in my classes.

I am with you in the sense that I am a bit anxious about this. Although I have taught for over a decade I do not have much knowledge I computer programming. I am hoping that the basic knowledge I have will suffice. I am positive that this will improve our teaching.

My name is Cheryn Clark. I have completed 7 years of teaching to gifted students in 6th grade Science and Earth Science. I love using simulations that students can manipulate to engage them further and I am interested in seeing how Code.org can further engage my students.

I’m in Chesterfield as well! Been teaching at Matoaca Middle for 7 years. Glad to know other Chesterfield teachers are involved in this.

My name is Greg Cipolla and I’ve been teaching middle school science for 16 years with no computer science experience.