Computer Science in Science PD: Meet and Greet

Hi,
I am Patti and I have been teaching science for about 18 years in middle school. I did the hour of code with my students, but that is the extent of my teaching code.

Hello, my name is Jenna. I teach Science to students in grades 6th and 7th. It is my first year teaching and I am excited about bringing Computer Science into the classroom.

My name is Lori Mortensen I teach at New River Middle School is Ft Lauderdale FL. I teach Physical Science 8th Grade and have been teaching for 5 years. I am excited to be incorporating Code into my class.

Hello, my name is Adrienne and I teach 6 grade science at William Dandy Middle.
I have currently been teaching 6 grade science for 6 years. Prior to that I taught Math.

Wonderful! I teach 6 grade Earth Science. Would love to see if the content specs are any different for 8 grade.

Hello Everyone!
I’m Elizabeth and I’ve just finished my 12 year of teaching. I’ve primarily taught language arts with a little bit of social studies. I am the odd man out here since I do not currently teach science. I will be teaching 7th grade computer courses at our middle school this year. I have the honor of creating the curriculum for the course since it will the first year for it. I know I’ll have to teach GAFE, but I really want to incorporate CS into the framework for the course. I’m hoping that this course will give me the tools I need to do that and to support our science classes at the same time. I look forward to working with everyone this year.

What a great experience for you and your students! I can’t wait to work with Code.org at a little deeper level.

Hi, my name is Barbara Humphreys and I teach Marine Science at New River Middle School in Broward County FL. I have taught all three grade levels of Marine Science and 7th and 8th grade general Science. I am just finishing my 14th year teaching. I have done the Hour of Code the last two years and am very excited about teaching code through my classes.

You might have seen me at the Baltimore game last year. I chaperone the kiddos going to Washington D.C./New York trip. I am unable to go this year as we only had 9 students going. Where are you taking the coding class?

Hi, my name is Paola. I teach Physical Science and Comprehensive Science 3 in Miami-Dade County. I just completed my 21st year.

HI! My name is Melissa Goulet. I teach 8th Grade Science. I look forward to incorporating computer Science throughout the incoming school year.

1 Like

Same Here. Nice to meet you

Hello my name is Scherita Wrentz. I’ve been teaching for over 26 years. I teach Physical Science ESE students. I love science and I can’t wait to learn new and exciting ideas through Code.org. I’m in the Miami-Dade County school district.

Hi! My name is Amy. I just finished my 20th year of teaching in middle school. My first six years were in Science, and the last fourteen have been in technology. This past year I taught my first engineering course and the kids loved it. I am excited to learn more about coding and incorporating computer science into my curriculum with the science teachers on our campus.

Hi Scherita! I agree with you - I love science, too and want to see how I can bring these new and exciting ideas to my classroom (and to me). :grinning:

1 Like

Hi everyone! My name is Emily. I’m a middle school science teacher with 11 years experience. I’m at Sawgrass Springs Middle School in Florida. I don’t really have too much computer science experience so I’m excited to learn something new.

My name is Mr. Reyes. I’ve just finished my 7th year of teaching middle school Comprehensive Science- 6th, 7th and this year 8th! CS will be new for me! This was my 15th year in public school, however 23rd in some level of education.

This is my seventh year for me too!

My name is Peter, and I currently do not teach any Computer Science courses, but I anticipate teaching some next year.

Hello. My name is Daniel. I have been teaching computer science for 5 years to 7th and 8th grade. Looking forward to learning new material and sharing it with my peers.