Computer Science in Science PD: Meet and Greet

My name is Cathy. I have been teaching middle school science for 17 years. Before that I taught at the elementary level. The last few years I have also taught a fun (at least I think it is) Forensic Science elective course.

I’ve been teaching a lot longer than 3 years (closer to 33 years if you count the time spent teaching elementary school) but I’m new to computer science too.

1 Like

Hello! My name is Sandra and I have been teaching for 14 years. For the past three years I have been teaching technology. Currently I am the technology coordinator for my school.

I’m Joseph Gonzalez. Taught almost 20 years, teaching at Carnegie MS in LAUSD. Love computers and have screwed around with them since I was 12 years old. I teach Math/Science 7th grade right now.

Hi…My name is Brian, and I teach 8th Grade Science in Charles County, MD. In addition to teaching science, I have a passion for teaching technology. I’ve been my school’s Lego Robotics coach for the past two
years, and I plan to continue to be so. Eventually, I plan to switch to teaching technology, so I’m really looking forward to enhancing my knowledge through the Code.org training.

1 Like

Hello Everyone!!! My name is Saray Felix, I have only taught for 4 years. I teach high school Science courses with NO experience to CS. My background is mainly in molecular science.

Very Proud to hear that you enjoyed your first year of teaching!!! I hope that you continue to do the work that few appreciate but many need!!! You are an Awesome teacher for helping our students to be better citizens!!!

Hello I am Lakeisha Williams a science teacher for over 10 years.

Hello. My name is Laura. I just finished my 20th year teaching 7th and 8th grade science.

My name is Sarah Williams and I teach in Charles County Maryland. I have taught mathematics at the middle school level (6, 7, and 8) for 10 years and engineering through Project Lead the Way for 6. I have some experience with different languages of computer programming and am ever seeking more knowledge regarding the area. I was trained last summer in the Bootstrap Algebra aspect of coding and implemented it with students. I have also experimented with other code.org resources with after school clubs. I look forward to adding Project GUTS to my repertoire and to sharing the knowledge with my students.

Awesome, Kim. I love collaborating with you. You always have great ideas! 8th grade curriculum is very hands-on, and the students enjoy the units.

Hi Sharon, I share your love for computers, science and math; however, I would like to be more comfortable using computer programs. I will be looking to you for advice. This program sounds like fun!

Hi. My name is Jenny Ferries and I am a middle school teacher in Bellevue, WA. I taught elementary school for 12 years and will be starting my second year of middle school in 2015-16. This year, I taught math, science and social studies. I will be starting an FTC team this fall and we’ll compete in MATE underwater robotics again in the spring.

Hi, my name is Ashley. I’ve taught for 7 years, but I’ve only taught science for two years. I’m looking forward to incorporating computer science into my middle school classroom.

Steve,
I will be taking the class in Frederick County.

My name is Cheryl. I have taught secondary science for the past 15 years in Maryland. I’ve taught all 7 grades (6-12) in all areas in both public and private schools.

Hi, my name is Justin and I have been teaching science at the middle school and elementary levels for the past 12 years. Prior to this I worked in an industrial laboratory and then as a project manager in eCommerce.

Hi Jenny,

What is an FTC team?

My name is Melanie. I just finished my 19th year teaching science. For the last 8 years I have taught 7th grades science before that I taught high school chemistry.

Hi! My name is Kimberly Ketchum and I am a computer teacher (STEM) . I have taught at the middle school level for the last 3 years. I am very interested in learning code and how I can implement it into my classes. I have introduced my kids to the code.org website and they seem very excited in learning. Can’t wait for next year!