CSD Unit 5 Lesson 5 Representing Numbers

csdunit5
binary

The activity guide for Representing Numbers has some errors on the answer key.
Question: In a 6-bit number system, what’s the biggest number that you can make? _(answer removed) is the correct answer
Question based on Lesson 5 bubble 5: How many inches is the longest tail on a dog? _(answer removed) is the correct answer
I extended the activity by asking the students to find the binary code for small words like dog, cat, home, web. I had them look up the ASCII table we used in lesson “ASCII and Binary Representations”.
It was priceless to watch their face light up as they made the connection to the limit on RGB values (0-255, 8-bit limit) after this lesson.

@mmathews

Hi Maya,

The answer key was updated this weekend, so you should now see “(answer removed)” as the correct answer for the 6-bit number system. For the question about the longest tail on the dog, the answer is (answer removed). The 5 bits in binary are “(answer removed)”, which converts to (answer removed) in decimal. The second half of the bit stream (number of spoons balanced on the face) is “(answer removed)” or (answer removed).

You’re the second person who’s asked about the tail on the dog question in the past few days, so if I’m missing something, please let me know.

That’s great that the kids were able to make that connection. Those are the best moments!

Elizabeth

Thank you @elizabeth_admin! Would the line just above the image be confusing?
“Don’t forget to make sure that the “1” bit is always the right most bit. If you have extra bits on the left side of the widget, just keep them turned off.”

@mmathews

Hi Maya,

Thanks. That makes sense, and I think we can do a better job of clarifying the task. I’m logging this and we’ll take a look for our next round of revisions.

Elizabeth

(image removed)
Hi Elizabeth,
The answer to the dog’s tail and number of spoons is still (answer removed). See image.
Maya

Hi Maya,

The answers are correct as they are. We’re going to look at the wording on our next round of revisions to try to make it more clear. I’m following up with you on private message so that I’m not giving answers out in a public forum (which I didn’t realize I was doing last time, oops!).

We’re also hoping to get a teachers-only forum in the future so that we can discuss answers more easily.

Elizabeth