Discuss Your Favorite Module Experience from Phase 2 (In-Person)

During the PD I worked on the ecosystem model. I enjoyed exploring the different breeds and shapes that could be used to make the model more lifelike. I also liked how you could make the agents interact with each other using the collision blocks. The graph feature helped me to generate a balance between energy used and number of agents.

I like module one a lot, since I didn’t get to attend the first days’s session. We broke out into groups so my group did not have an opportunity to do the water module. I would like to explore and do work with that and the other modules before school starts.

We did a showcase at the end of the final projects, and a gallery-walk for the module one projects. I really enjoyed seeing the projects that every group created, and their presentations of them. My favorite module was the first one. It was interesting to model how a disease could spread in a population.

Water as a Resource was my favorite module, because it was the one my group went most in-depth into. It was really helpful to walk through the module and think about how I will incorporate it into our current curriculum.

My favorite Module was Module 2, I believe it was the predator and the prey. I will be teaming with another science teacher and I think my students will be most interested in setting up a World with grass, rabbits, and predators. It will be interesting to see what 7th graders create and the inferences that they will come up with for this simulation. .

I remember being fairly overwhelmed with a lot of Phase 2. I really enjoyed working with @jean_makusky to complete the predator prey simulation. We did some really advanced things, and I was proud of what we accomplished.

I enjoyed the training very much. I was taken back to my high school experiences with the original Logo. Only this is way easier since you don’t actually need to type in the code. The thing I liked most was the immediate feedback you get from the computer. It either worked or it didn’t and I think this will help the students with troubleshooting skills and redesigning. I have quite a few students who consider their first draft of anything the final product. I worked on the ecosystem module and am excited to explore the others.

My favorite day was when we created the pumping models. It gave me a taste of the frustration that my students feel. Although it was frustrating it was a good experience. It has allowed me to get a glimpse into how the feel to the exercises. I also enjoyed the challenge of trying to make the model work the way it was supposed to.

I loved the 3 day summer training, by the end of it, I felt pretty comfortable with completing the modules and coding. I appreciated the workshop leaders and their positive attitudes. Everyone was extremely helpful and it made the time so much more enjoyable. I liked the fact that I could work with teachers who taught the same curriculum as I do, especially since I am going to be teaching a new grade level this year. I chose the chemistry module doing the chemical reaction program and found it to be quite fun. I plan on getting my students involved with coding during our extended learning time as soon as possible in order to get them familiar and comfortable with “playing” with the program.

I really enjoyed the in-person PD experience. What I remember and enjoyed the most was working with another teacher to figure out how to get our model to work the way we wanted it to. Hopefully my students will enjoy it as much and learn more by working with each other. The module that I feel like I had the best experience with is Module 4: Chemical Reactions. What made the module feel special was how students can see how the limiting reactant causes the chemical reaction to stop.

Hi all–
I liked the ecosystems with the sharks and other elements of watching the variables change and the reactions therein from the varied variables.

“The module on Chemical reaction was my favorite module because I was able to modify the different variables to see what happens to the rate of chemical reactions. It was fun to me and I’m sure students will have a better understanding of how metals react given a particular situation.”

I really enjoyed the training. The facilitators were knowledgeable and helpful. I feel as though I learned the most during module 1. It gave me the tools that I needed to work on planning module 1 with my curriculum. I am excited to try it. .

I feel as though I has the best experience with Module 3 - Ecosystem as Complex Systems.
The reason this module is so memorable is due to the underlying knowledge I had coming into it. The class size was cut in half and therefore my questions were addressed in a more timely manner thus allowing me to progress and learn at a much quicker rate.

I felt I had the best experience with the ecosystem module because by that time I was developing some degree of understanding. I also enjoyed the smaller groups. There was a little less noise and fewer distractions.

I identified more with the chemical reactions module. It is geared more toward the 8th grade curriculum that I teach. During the PD I learned quite a bit, but would have liked more time to run through the module.

I believe that the ecosystem module is the module I would feel comfortable implemementing. The PD was enjoyable and frustrating at times. Working in smaller groups helped.

We were only able to work with module 3 in our summer pd in Richmond. I really liked the physical activity at the beginning of each unit to give us something to connect an activity to. We had some computer issues, most of mine were keeping logged on, as we were kicked off the system every couple hours. I personally am having trouble wrapping my head around the commands I need to do what I want the model to do. The model grass and rabbits, tie in great with the life science curriculum we would be able to use that model in more than one way. Tie it to predators, human intervention in the environment and even the effect of natural disasters on an ecosystem.

The summer workshops were very informative. At first, I was very overwhelmed because I am not confident in my computer skills. However, after the three days I did feel a little better. Would love a refresher after not seeing it during the summer.

My favorite module was Module 1 being able to explore and create my own world and agents. My 6th grade Earth Science students would love that freedom as well.

I remember feeling overwhelmed but proud that I could step outside my comfort zone and try new things in the classroom. It was really an eye opening experience working with various teachers from different schools sharing ideas and connecting with each other. The code program is still challenging for me, I don’t feel 100% ready to implement in my classroom. It would have been nice to have time to go over the commands to see what they do and how they affect the coding. My favorite module though was they chemical reactions which gave a clear visual of what happens during a chemical reaction. The kids should be able to better understand what happens when the reaction occurs.