Discuss Your Favorite Module Experience from Phase 2 (In-Person)

Working on the chemical reactions was a great one and cannot wait for my kids to start coding.

I liked the in person spread of a plague simulation. I know students would be able to manipulate and come up with all sorts of questions to real life ecosystems.

I enjoyed the entire experience of learning something completely new! I am excited to teach my students about coding!

I started to feel more comfortable and more overwhelmed towards the end. I did start to understand it but I also realized how much more there was to know. I thought it started to be fun but I had no book. It was hard to follow along without one.

As the first day of the PD began, I was wondering as a computer teacher what CS in Science had to offer to someone with no experience in teaching science to middle grade students. As the PD progressed I began to see just how much CS in Science had to offer me. I had a great experience with Module 1 as I was able to learn and get familiar with the basics of programming in StarLogo Nova. After the first day of PD, I spent more time practicing at home.

As I continue to explore the many facets of StarLogo Nova, I think I will feel more comfortable with the other modules in time.

I liked the ecosystem module the most because I felt the most successful with it. It was cool to see all the little bits we had learned come together in such a way. it was great being able to continue practicing the pair coding experience and working with a colleague to start thinking about what this would look like in our classrooms.

What I remember from the professional development was being able to work with a fellow educator and working out the coding and exploring out what was going on. In the program when we were working together and following the step-by-step procedure to run the program it was an interesting dilemma. We felt like we were students in the classroom learning something new; so it presents a new perspective in how our students feel when we teach them or we want them to learn something new. The module I was the most engaged with was with the chemical reaction. I teach eighth grade science and this module would supplement my teaching.

My favorite module was the water module. I remember working with my team mates, making all of the information we had learned come to life on a simulation

My favorite module was the chemical reaction module. I really loved the pair coding strategy.

I really enjoyed the challenges provided as extension activities. Having pre-made ideas for the more advanced students to keep working is a big boon for me because I teach at a Gifted & Talented School.

I remember how difficult I thought this was going to be to learn, and was surprised to find out that it was fairly simple, once you had the color coded “cheat sheet” for the categories. The best experience was with the chemical reaction module. I felt that the module will help my students see what is going on in chemical reactions and help them understand how mass is conserved during a chemical reaction. I can’t wait to create some programs for different chemical reactions.

My favorite module was the ecosystem as I teach Biology honors in addition to physical science. I thought there were many ways that module could be used and adapted. I feel this module could really help students with the topic of ecosystems and the relationships and interconnectivity of all parts of the system.

This was by far one of the best pd’s in which I’ve ever participated. I loved the none techy simulations too - looking at complex systems.

1 Like

I felt like the pace of the training was perfect. The collaboration between the teachers was very helpful. I loved how we were able to help each other out. A lot of it is trial and error, which the students really need to practice. I liked the Chemical Reactions module we did, but being an Earth Science teacher, I would have rather have seen the Groundwater Module demonstrated.

Module 4- Chemical Reaction was when the light bulb went off for me. I was able to manipulate the bar, turn it side ways, and make it disappear. That was the module that I was able to navigate with ease compared to the other modules. However, I will continue to need more practice. I look forward to another in-person session to work on lessons in a group.

It was an eye opener to see how few commands or steps can lead to the movement of the “turtle” and create a picture or whatever you want.

I remember wnating to explore, then give me some direction. Some of the exploring left me off balance because I really did not know what I was doing-then a uhuh moment when a fellow students helped me out. I was working with the ecosystems module. When I saw what some of my fellow students were creating I was getting excited in anticipation of what the students will be creating.

I have no particular favorite. I worked the most with Chemical reactions. I like manipulating the variables to get a variety of results. In working with my students, I know they are looking forward to Module 3 work. However, Module 2 is the best fit with my sixth grade curriculum.

I enjoyed working with Christie! I also enjoyed time to explore and practice on my own.

I felt the most comfortable with module 1, and I struggled through the module that I selected for the remainder of the three-day PD (Ecosystems).