General Discussion for Lesson 3.12

Use this thread to discuss your questions and comments about how to run the lesson.

HELP! I’m having trouble figuring out how to trigger the image being clicked without the background also being clicked, and jumping to the GAME OVER screen. What am I missing?

Hi Michael

Would you be willing to share your code? It might be helpful if you shared your code so that other teachers could take a look and hopefully give you feedback about what is going on.

-Dani

Absolutely! Link: https://studio.code.org/projects/applab/XK4UscDH4eUVTGroAWKJqA

Code:

onEvent(“startButton”, “click”, function(event) {
console.log(“startButton clicked!”);
setScreen(“gameScreen”);
});
onEvent(“doughtnut”, “click”, function(event) {
console.log(“doughtnut clicked!”);
playSound(“NomNomNom.mp3”);
setPosition(“doughtnut”, randomNumber(-100, 270), randomNumber(-150, 400));
});
onEvent(“gameScreen”, “click”, function(event) {
console.log(“gameScreen clicked!”);
setScreen(“gameOverScreen”);
playSound(“Sad_Trombone-Joe_Lamb-665429450.mp3”);
});
onEvent(“startOverButton”, “click”, function(event) {
console.log(“startOverButton clicked!”);
setScreen(“welcomeScreen”);
});

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing your code. This is a known issue in App Lab. When you add a click handler to the screen it will always fire. Our recommendation to students in the lesson is that they add an image element that fills up the whole screen as a background and attach the click handler to that instead.

Hope that helps!

Dani

Thanks, Dani – That was one of the ideas they brainstormed. Good to know that that was a “workaround” and not an issue with our code itself, which was our major concern.

Thanks again!

Dani,

I tried to upload a jpeg to the App Lab to take up my entire background, but the image did not upload. When you have the chance could you please take a look at my code?

Thanks,

Dillon

Dani,
Disregard previous post I was able to troubleshoot.

Dillon

When I look at student code in code studio I can only see the code and not the design view. Is there a way to see what the students have done in the design view?