General Discussion for Lesson 3.18

Use this thread to discuss your questions and comments about how to run the lesson.

Hello, it’s your favorite typo finder (again) –

The flowchart that introduces the level dropdown asks if it is “to” hard. Should have two o’s?

FWIW, shared the App Lab environment with our Engineering teacher yesterday, who is using Python to work with their robots…he is jealous.

It appears I am a dumb-dumb and missed the word “equal.” My bad. Sorry about that. Hope we didn’t waste anyone’s time.

No worries Michael and keep letting us know when you find bugs and typos. Glad to hear you’re enjoying App Lab!

Greetings – for whatever reason, when it comes to Puzzle 13, this threw me: “Remember you have to check the smallest case first. Which set of numbers is larger (guess > secret number) or (guess > secret number + 2) ?” I can’t seem to decipher how we’re defining “the smallest case first.” If I follow the flowchart, it all makes sense and is easy to put together, but I still want to understand what this means.

Also, in the flowchart where it says “the user guess is less than my number plus two” shouldn’t it read “the user guess is less than my number minus two?”

I filled out a “bug report” from within the lesson, and Sarah Filman responded with the following commentary (Thank you, Sarah!):

For the instructions, we will update the text to clarify, but “smallest case first” is trying to get at the idea of you needing to check the most specific/narrow case first in a sequence of conditions, or else that case may be “trumped” in the logic flow by a more generic/broader condition.
So for example:
Condition 1: guess > secret number
Condition 2: guess > secret number + 2

Given the same rules of the dice game in this level where I want to give a different message for numbers that are within 2 above my number versus numbers that are even bigger than that…
Assume in my code I’m checking condition 1 before condition 2:

• Let’s say my secret number is 7 and the user’s guess is 8. Check condition 1: 8 > 7 is true, and the code inside the ‘if’ for condition 1 will execute.
  • Now let’s say the user’s guess is 11. Check condition 1: 11 > 7 is true, and that same code inside the ‘if’ for condition 1 will execute
    The problem is that Both 8 and 11 are bigger than 7, but only 11 is bigger than 7 + 2. So to get this code to do what I want, I have to check condition 2 before condition 1. There are “fewer” (or as the original instructions talk about a “smaller set” of) numbers that are greater than a number + 2 than there are numbers that are just greater than a number.

Wow, this lesson is being very hard for my students. I think next time I will bring in some dice and try an unplugged version.

Hey Caroline,

Please share with us (and the community) what you ended up doing. We’re trying to develop ways to add more unplugged activities throughout this unit and would love to know what did or did not work here.

Thanks as always for the helpful feedback!
GT

I ended up just pushing through it. More than half of the students needed one on one attention. I also psudo coded it on the white board.

We also just did Lesson 20 and I think the first page of that helped some.

I would do this differently next year. I’m not sure how. Maybe write out the pseudo code on paper before we start coding. Maybe some multiple choice where they have to predict what will happen if different code is run?

Also it just seems like a lot. Its a hard long lesson than the last bubble is a killer! It feels like we are going pretty fast.

19 went smoothly. I felt like 18 took 3 times as long as 19.

Students are doing 20 over the weekend.

Getting to 18 this week. If anyone has a chance I can’t find the bug in my code that is not allowing the score to go below -1.

Thanks in advance!

hey, @cspphs1-- try grabbing the link from the ‘share’ button in the top-left side of the screen to give us access to you code for that level!

My apologies.

Dillon

hey, @cspphs1!

this looks like a design mode issue-- try increasing the size of ‘label3’ so nothing’s getting cut off.