Nextech Forum Introductions

In our online PD you will have many opportunities to connect with other teachers through a forum. Take this opportunity to introduce yourself by sharing the same information that each of the facilitators shared on the previous level. In your first post take a minute and introduce yourself by sharing your teaching background and any hobbies or pastimes you enjoy! STEP 1: To get started, click on "Continue Discussion" below to be taken to the forum page. Click the "Reply" button under the previous introduction posts to add your own. STEP 2: Come back later and read new posts and respond to someone else's post by clicking on "post a response" to go to the forum page, then clicking "reply" on the comment you wish to reply to.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://studio.code.org/s/ECSPD-NexTech/stage/6/puzzle/2

Hi! I’m Dooley, and I’m located in Indianapolis, Indiana. I have been teaching for about 13 years in the inner city. My interests are astronomy, record collecting, history, and like many of you, I’m also a tech junkie. I’m looking forward to reading everyone else’s posts, and am astonished that I am the first one to get the ball rolling. I’ll be slightly provocative here and ask everyone else a question…is it really necessary to teach EVERY student how to code? I vote yes, and I’ll explain why after I read some other replies!

Good morning. My name is Lisa Hawk. I am a teacher at George Washington Community High School in Indianapolis, IN. I have been a teacher for 13 years. I teach Computer Science, Hire Technology, and Culinary Arts. I have been using a teaching computer skills since the late 70’s and coding for the past 4 years. My hobbies are riding our motor cycle with my husband and playing bassoon with three different community bands.

Hey, my name is Nick Weyer, and I teach at Tell City Junior-Senior High School. Our school is in the southern part of Indiana, along the Ohio River. This year is my 8th year teaching, all at Tell City. I teach mathematics: algebra I and II and business mathematics. I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, especially my wife and our son Jack.

I think it is! We don’t need all students to become computer scientists, but I think all students need at least some grounding in coding in order to understand how their world works.

Welcome Nick! Looking forward to working with you.

Welcome Lisa! Very unique hobbies, I must say! Tell us more!

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

Hi everyone! My name is Sharon Jackson. I teach at Franklin Central High School - right outside of Indianapolis. I have taught a variety of business courses for the past 30 years, but love the technology courses most - web design, programming, MOS Certification, etc. My hobbies include traveling, going to the gym, and gardening.

Hello everyone! My name is Shannon Dugan and I teach computer science at Arsenal Technical High School. I also teach various computer courses at Ivy Tech. This will be my 8th year of teaching, and I have taught various computers courses and a year of SD SPED. I have various interests including photography, comics, LARP-ing and I volunteer with a local animal rescue. (ARPO) Guess who designed their website, with the help of a few students? :wink: Gotta love service learning and project-based!

Hello Folks. I’m Adam Broughton and I teach at Hamilton Southeastern High School in Fishers, Indiana. This upcoming year will be my 15th in our corporation. I presently teach Securities & Insurance, Accounting, Personal Finance, ICT, and now ECS.

I enjoy any activity that allows me to be outdoors. I spend much of my free time coaching my two boys in the sports they are involved in. Lots of fun!

I have a lot to learn with ECS. I’m a newbie, but looking forward to trying something new and different.

Hello all…I am a bit late to this forum, my apologies. My name is Kent London and I am a new teacher at Beech Grove High School, Indiana. I am coming from a 26 year career in healthcare as a hospital administrator. Computer Science seems like it will be a lot of fun teaching and watching students being challenged by the very technologies they use daily. I enjoy camping, golf and lots of cooking. I have 5 kids, 2 dogs, a cat and a fish…interesting home life!

Hello! I wanted to make Kent feel better by being even more late to the forum. My name is Tyler Sausaman, I teach at Carroll Jr/Sr High School (the small school in Flora not the big school in Fort Wayne). I am en engineering technology teacher and have been doing this for fifteen years. I coach track, and the robotics team and outside of school I enjoy spending time with my wife and son and doing just about anything out doors.

Hello all!

My name is Adam Erler, I am a math teacher at Hammond Academy of Science and Technology in Hammond Indiana. This will be my second year to the profession but it is already shaping up to be an exciting one. I coach the science Olympiad team and run the schools physics club.

Hello! My name is Kristin Lidstrom, and, like Adam, I teach at Hamilton Southeastern High School in Fishers. I have been teaching for 10 years - primarily Marketing courses. I also teach ACP Business Administration through IU and occasionally ICT. I am new to ESC but look forward to the challenge!

I love to travel, and have been traveling internationally with students for 9 years. Seeing the word through their eyes is really something special!

Hi, my name is Tim Kilgo and I am a teacher at Arsenal Tech in Indy. This will be my 6th year at Tech, I previously taught in Little Rock, AR for 3 years. I currently teach Computer Tech Support to prepare students for the A+ certification and Infrastructure of the Internet to prepare students for the Cisco CCENT. I have previously taught Career Exploration classes, Personal Finance, and Microsoft Office classes. I enjoy spending time with my family, hiking, camping, and church related activities. I look forward to working and studying with you all next week. Have a great weekend!

Hello, my name is Julie Alano and I teach at Hamilton Southeastern High School along with Kristin and Adam. This will be my 18th year teaching all at Hamilton Southeastern. I have taught Algebra I and II and ICT in the past and this year I will be teaching AP Computer Science, Computer Science 1, and ECS. I have taught computer science for 14 years and have incorporated some ECS units into my course over the last couple of years. I am also starting the CybeRoyals Tech Squad at HSE this fall to work with students and teachers as we go to BYOD.

I have many interests and am involved in many activities. I am the head girls track coach at HSE and have served as secretary of the Indiana Association of Track and Cross Country Coaches for 14 years. I grew up on a farm that is now an orchard with 1800 fruit trees, so you may see me selling produce at a local farmers market. You may also find me listening to live Irish music as my husband is a part of a few traditional Irish bands here in Indy. I also love to shop, travel, and spend time with my family.

I also helped to start the Hoosier Heartland Chapter of the Computer Science Teachers Association (CSTA). If you are not already a member, I will get you more information. I was just at the CSTA conference in Dallas and I’m using that as my excuse as to why I posted this so late. :smile: