Teaching Computer Science: Your Plans

I have finally received the approval to teach my 8th grade students CS Discoveries. This was a little work in the making. I suggested it last year and had already had great success with the Hour of Code. My plans for this semester is to do the lesson plans exactly as they are. Once I get a feel for what they are, I will add my own little personality to the mix.

I am truly excited to get this going. Who knows, I might be able to teach Computer Science to each grade level at my middle school.

My goals for our computing club is for students to gain and enhance skills in computational thinking, creativity, learn about algorithms and key concepts (sequencing, loops, functions, conditionals) in coding.

Code.org’s learning resources are well planned and easy to use. As a teacher, I feel confident and I am excited to implement the courses knowing that all I need is readily available, fun and easy to understand.

The challenges I forsee are

diversity and gaps in the students’ attitudes to learning about computer science

getting students to be equally engaged in the unplugged activities as the online ones

acquiring enough computers

Question
Any ideas on other fun ways (aside using colourful flashcards) to help children learn and remember key computing vocabulary?

Hi, I will be teaching students in grades 1-8 in an after school program. Previously we have only studies Maths and English, however this year, I want to incorporate the Code.org course. We will use kindle and I have seen by working through the online professional training that the kindles will work!!!

I like the idea of pairing students. I am also looking forward to seeing how the students adapt…This is a first time for us!!!

My Plan for K-5 Technology Classes

• What are your goals for your classroom?

I teach grades K-5. I have already introduced coding in some way to grades 1-5. At the minimum, they have done some Hour of Code activities. My current 3rd-5th graders have used Scratch to create animations. I have not taught all of the terminology and concepts in a cohesive way and that is what I want to accomplish by using the code.org CS Fundamentals.

I am currently on sabbatical, studying computer science resources so I can revamp curriculum. When I return to school in April, I plan to spend the rest of this school year using the code.org curriculum in grades K-5.

• What are you most excited about when it comes to implementing some of these resources?

I think I am most excited that the lessons are laid out for me and have all the resources (videos, ideas, etc) in one place. What a time saver that will be with planning! I am also excited to see how my students respond to the lessons.

• What challenges do you foresee in trying to meet your goals?

One of my challenges will be that grade level teachers will ask me to do something in computer class that fits into their curriculum, like have students create a presentation about ecosystems they are studying in 4th grade. While that is a worthwhile project, I sometimes feel like I have to put aside my technology goals. I will have to navigate carefully if that happens.

• What questions do you have that this community might help you answer?

One of our goals each year is a Student Learning Objective (SLO). Next year, I want to have a SLO about coding in one of the grades. The challenge is that they want us to use a standardized assessment as a pre test and post test. Standardized can be a commercially available assessment. I have yet to find something that is acceptable when it comes to tech skills. Does anyone know of a coding assessment that I might be able to use as a pre and post test?

My goals are to use code.org to enrich my remedial Algebra 1 students. We have time between testing and this would be a good addition to adding in a deeper understanding of what a function is. I’m most excited to see students applying information and developing a rigorous problem-solving mindset in a different setting. I foresee challenges in having students fully connect the process to the problem-solving method we use in math class. I think students will be successful at completing their puzzles but might struggle to connect it to previous content.

I recently moved to another country and wanted to reinvent myself. Teaching a foreign language is an interesting topic but I found it struggling that me and my colleagues knew so little about computer science. That’s why I entered this course and hopefully I’ll be able to adapt it in my future workplace.

What I’m most excited about is the playfulness of the exercises, the pair learning and the unplugged activities. I understand learning as a social and active process so I really liked code.orgs approach to make a topic you initially relate with sitting alone in front of a screen so engaging.

My personal challenge is to engage more with computer science myself and become an expert along the way.

I am a retired teacher without a classroom, but I decided to take the course to learn and hopefully volunteer facilitating CS resources in a small group. I believe in exposing every kid, especially girls, to the fundamentals in CS in a positive learning environment. I’m excited to see students discovering these new skills and feel the way I felt the first time I solved a problem and worked. A little late for me, but I am hooked! My challenges will be finding a few kids to “borrow” as we all continue to build confidence as we go. Every student should have the opportunity to experience computer science!

This is a new thing at my school and I plan to have it at the end of the year after the students are done with their national examination. I would start with smaller group to begin with as our school facilities are very limited. Plus. most of the students do not have access to internet at home. So, planning is crucial here. I’ll see if anyone shared their success in pioneering the course at their schools. I really want to expose and get my students do the course to keep them up with today’s and future challenges.

Good Afternoon,

My goals are to actually have the opportunity to introduce code.org to my students. I am excited that these types of programs are available to students as young as kinder. My challenge will be to get computers for a class full of students so that I will be able to use this program at our school.

My main goal for the classroom is to get my students to connect their love of technology to the important skill of problem-solving and perseverance. I also want to get my students to know how to use technology in effective ways and to be great digital citizens. CS or code.org helps me meet these goals by providing me with lesson plans and an excellent platform for students to work on
I’m most excited about the fun I know the students will have. I also am excited about the different ideas that show me that one doesn’t necessarily need computers to learn valuable computer science skills
The challenges I foresee in trying to meet my goals are challenges most teachers face in the classroom daily. Challenges like burnout, lack of funding, and simple things like a bad internet connection can make a great platform like code.org frustrating.
I am curious about student input in the curriculum. Can any lessons be modified to fit individual student interests? Is there any part of the forums were I can see how different types of students feel using this platform? Are there any ideas for special education?
Thank you for all your help, I look forward to participating.

My goal next year is to help classroom teachers of grades K-2 use Bee Bots to practice basic programming. We will put mats on the floor with pictures or use blocks to build a maze. I will introduce coding using the Pre-Reader Express. I hope that the first lesson “unspotted bugs” will not confuse them when they go to use a bee to program, since a bee is an insect. That’s a challenge that I forsee. I am most excited that first grade teachers can use the bee bot to program a robot to follow a path around a map. Map skills are taught most directly in first grade, I believe. I think getting first graders logged in to Code.org will be challenging, even though you are helping us out with a secret picture being used as a password.

I’m excited to have my students think about their games and apps through a different lens. The unplugged lessons are a perfect way to introduce computer science at the beginning of the year when students haven’t learned how to “use” a laptop, computer, or iPad yet. I also don’t have to worry about having a device for all students since it is encouraged for students to work together on one device under both of their names.
My only concern is weather my school district has certain games blocked and/or if they need to be downloaded as an app in order to use them. For a few hour of code games it was necessary to download in order to actually use the game but my school district has a block on downloading apps. Other than that, I am very excited to begin!

I’m definitely looking forward to bringing some of the unplugged activities into my classroom, especially at the beginning of the year. The concrete practice is a great way to set the foundation for future activities.

I found myself struggling with some of the puzzles and hope that with continued practice, I’ll gain the confidence I need to help - and teach - others!

Honestly,

at this point of the year I don’t have a plan yet.

The plan is to implement the ISTE standard “computational thinking”. Since ISTE partnered up with code.org I was looking in detail at the resources. They would help the teachers to structure their lessons.
The challenge will be to make it a priority, to convince leadership, then to get involved with the curriculum leaders. If it isn’t the priority of the school with all needed professional development and support, teachers won’t be convinced and won’t make any time for it. I’m still wondering how the communication to the teachers will look like. Another question is how can we integrate it to our curriculum and make it meaningful for student’s learning.

I am hoping to improve my CS unit fir my 6th grade science classroom at Coyote Springs Elementary School in Prescott Valley AZ,
This year was my first attempt teaching CS as part of my science curriculum. We used Google’s CS First and Scratch. It was a fun little story telling activity, but I am excited at how the Code.org curriculum has fun puzzles and activities to help get students to think about more complex programming ideas.

Hola,

1. Mi meta, que mis alumnos puedan comprender el sentido de hacer código y ayudar en la solución de problemas.
  2. Me entusiasma saber que estos recursos nos ayudaran a que los niños entiendan mejor y cada vez mas codificar.
  3. Que mis alumnos me puedan entender lo que les puedo transmitir a través de estos curso.

My goal is to expose my students to to the programs and foster a positive learning environment. I know the kids will love the activities and see progrmming as a puzzle. I am eager to discuss the resources wit other teachers at my school and see if we can develop a vertical format so all students can benefit. Our school had an after school coding club. I would like to take it into the instructional day at every grade level. I know there is always a time constraint as there isn’t enough time to get through the curriculum as it is.

I am thrilled to start the new innovative school year with the coding for grade 4 compacted mathematics. My goal is to expose all my students to the coding and all the resources during the math block. Getting time out of the math block would be challenging but not impossible. I can foresee students trying to skip the directions which I think are critical to learning. I have a question on how the teachers are utilizing this site to teach programming. How often?

My goals are for the second graders that I teach to hone their thinking skills code.org will help them with this because it challenges them to think logically.

I am most excited about the puzzles, because unlike other online resources, code.org shows them how to solve a problem instead of focusing only on the result.

One challenge I foresee in trying to meet my goals is the level of language fluency and in some cases the intellectual development of some of my students.

Are there any proven ways to differentiate the instruction or assessments?

I see lots of possibilities to use the code.org lessons and coding concepts to link to other subjects that we are already learning. We teach lots of how to solve word problems, and the problem solving steps would work the same way for a word problem and for a coding problem. The same is true of functions, if you understand how they work, then the same concept can be applied in math. Sequences are big in reading, and there is possibilities of connecting those principles too. So everything I was learning, I see the connections to things we already do in the classroom that these lessons would help strengthen that learning.
Challenges are finding things that are relatable for students, or students who still think this is too hard because they didn’t learn problem solving techniques and so have no idea how to persevere when things get tricky. I see the community being able to answer questions about how to use the classroom feature with my class and suggestions for how to get kids unstuck and help them keep trying until they get it.