Teaching Computer Science: Your Plans

I am a ToSA and therefore don’t have my own designated students throughout the day, so my work in CS is more to show teachers how they can integrate CS in their day as another way to provide meaning lessons for our students. I’m excited that there are both plugged and unplugged lessons and love the progress monitoring component. The main challenge is getting teachers onboard who don’t feel like they are equipt to teach coding or don’t see value in it. I hope to get early adopters to share their experience and get more onboard.

I am seeing the possibilities of using coding throughout the year. We started a few years ago just
using coding for “Hour of Code” week. The kids were hooked from Day 1 last year. I set up my first class/course last year and it was fantastic. I set a small time 2x/week, and then whenever there was an extra few minutes, they loved going in and completing another task. When they found out, they could go home and continue their lessons, you’d think I offered a trip to Disneyland. This fosters critical thinking, creativity and so much more.

I teach kindergarten. in the coming year, we will be response for computer science curriculum. My plan for teaching computer science is to start with basic computer skills. My students come in able to use an iPad or smart phone, but have some trouble using a computer, mouse, etc. So, I will spending going over the parts of the computer but also how to use the mouse, double click, go to websites, etc. Then my plan is to use the code.org and the lessons they have. We do not have computers for each student so my thought is to have the students do some of the lessons during center time. So students might have a week to complete lessons/puzzles. I will use the videos code.org provides as a whole group lesson just to make sure the students understand the main concepts. I am also interested in using the unplugged lessons again, just to solidify their learning. We have access to Bee-Bot which works with coding and I use them in centers.

Since I teach kindergarten, my plan is to start at the beginning of the year with the basics: introducing computer hardware, practice logging into the computer, and teaching how to use a mouse by using Mousersize. The next step will be to implement Coding by using the unplugged lessons and watching coding videos which will give students a foundational understanding. Students will then have an opportunity to practice the skills learned in the unplugged activities via using classroom computers or visiting the computer lab at least once weekly. With the help from my ITC, I hope to provide only minimal support so students can become proficient with the skills of coding and debugging. I realize the importance of having students use the computer as often as possible so they will become 21st century students. The challenge will be to make sure computer time is provided and not pushed aside for reading, writing and math. It is equally important!

I am a Special Ed teacher. My plan is to start introducing the vocabulary of computer science and slowly showing my students the games and skills associated with coding.
I will definitely be using the unplugged lessons as well as the class lessons provided. These skills that are used are tapping into their higher level thinking and will keep them engaged.
I also like the whole teacher page where I can see and track how my students are doing. It will keep me in tuned with what they need help on, what frustrates them and what they enjoy.
I plan on making Computer Science a more important part of our day rather than just a “once in awhile thing”.

I teach third grade. My students have done coding a few times this school year but not near as much as I would like. I would like to start by doing a better job of incorporating coding into my math rotations. Coding requires so much critical thinking so I think it would fit in best with math. I love how the code.org courses walk students through the lessons. I think using this program would make it easy to differentiate for the different technology levels in my classroom. I anticipate that some of my students who have difficulty in other academic areas might really excel with coding just do to the interest level! I think I challenge that I might encounter would be students just seeing coding as a game. I worry that they will try to click until they get the right answer and will miss out on the critical thinking.

My question for the community would be “How did you find time to fit in coding lessons?” “What part of the day did coding fit best into?”

Hi am an IBPYP prep 2 teacher from India. We were introduced to code.org this year and we were expected to begin teaching children immediately. I felt extremely clueless until I took up this PD course and now this seems like so much fun. I went over the lesson plans and actually found so many concepts that coincided with my curriculum goals for my students. I am looking at coding through the leadership lens and its actually working beautifully. We merged the concept of conflict resolution with debugging and problem solving with persistence. Since we have just begun the magic is yet to uncovered. I am eagerly waiting to post the results here soon.

I teach third grade. My students have done coding a few times this school year but not near as much as I would like. I would like to start by doing a better job of incorporating coding into my math rotations. Coding requires so much critical thinking so I think it would fit in best with math. I love how the code.org courses walk students through the lessons. I think using this program would make it easy to differentiate for the different technology levels in my classroom. I anticipate that some of my students who have difficulty in other academic areas might really excel with coding just do to the interest level! I think I challenge that I might encounter would be students just seeing coding as a game. I worry that they will try to click until they get the right answer and will miss out on the critical thinking. My question for the community would be “How did you find time to fit in coding lessons?” “What part of the day did coding fit best into?”

Lucinda Craft
Kodable and code.org has been incorporated into our centers. This gives students the opportunity to explore in a safe environment. Because they are learning together they are sharing and collaborating on what to do next or how to solve a puzzle. I like that they are helpful with their peers and want to share what strategy has worked for them. My goal is to incorporate coding earlier in the school year. I am most excited about using the skills I have learned to teach the students coding. The students enjoy using the codepillar during developmental centers. I will use the codepillar at the beginning of the year next year and look at the additional attachments that are available.

I teach Kindergarten. Since we are coming toward the end of the school year I would like to continue trying different things we have learned about with the students I currently have. Next year I would like to start at the beginning of the year teaching basic computer skills such as parts of a computer, how to use a mouse, how to click and double click. It might be fun to have an unhooked mouse or 2 to practice clicking with in a center filled with in hooked key boards and other computer parts. Then we would move on to using code.org both on the computer and unplugged. I would prefer to do the activities in one of our computer labs, as a whole class, so that I can be available for students and so that I can make sure students understand what is being taught. In class I would like to use center time for things like mousersize (skill practice) or in a center that has unhooked key boards and a mouse or 2 so they can explore and learn about the computer parts as well as practice putting in their user name and password.

I am currently teaching CS Discoveries as a semester long class (block schedule) to 8th graders in middle school and its going great!!

I have the opportunity (and I’m going to do it!) to teach a 9 week course to 7th graders. I’m going to use the Computer Science Fundamentals Express course to do this. Hopefully, this will help recruit students to my CSD class but also hopefully just introduce more students to the concepts such as persistence in this curriculum. Since this decision was just approved yesterday, any advice anyone can give me on this course would be really appreciated. I’ve just started going through it myself and it seems a little too easy but that might be good!!

What are your goals for your classroom? How will CS or code.org resources help you meet those goals?
My goals for classroom is to implement Code.org in my 4th, 5th, and 6th grade Technology classes. We have participated in the Hour of Code this past year and the students seem to enjoy coding. By using these courses, students will be able to have fun and we are working on standards that are aligned with the curriculum.

• What are you most excited about when it comes to implementing some of these resources?
    The lesson plans are very detailed and seems user friendly. I know there may be problems along the way but their are resources to help if you get stuck.

• What challenges do you forsee in trying to meet your goals?
    Time constraints

• What questions do you have that this community might help you answer?
    Once I get started I might have some questions but none as of now.

I have already started this with my 4th graders (my 5th graders are a little too high to start from the beginning). I need to do more of the Unplugged activities though. I’ve done the My Robot Friend (or Loopy Robot…whatever it’s called). I did that with my 5th graders, and after seeing the progress of my 4th graders, I’ll add that in for this week. The challenge I currently have is, not necessarily boredom, but my 4th grades have done this in the lab for 3 weeks now. I think it’s valuable, but I do see some of them getting tired of doing it right now. So, I think this may be a year long/semester long type of project. Work a few weeks, do something else (including unplugged), then come back to this. They are enjoying it though!

I have not used Code.org coding in my 4th grade classroom yet since I am still somewhat new to coding; I have done a few unplugged introduction activities. Since there are only 7 weeks left in my school year, and I teach all subjects (therefore it’s hard to find time), I hope to create a weekly “Hour of Code” time where students can work on coding through Code.org. I’ve done something similar with “Genius Hour” for my students. I’m hoping this weekly time will be enough to at least get them started, and I can also let them work on coding when they have finished other work early. I love how Code.org has all of the lessons laid out and I also love that I can track a student’s progress at any time.
I’m most excited about using a mixture of unplugged and plugged activities, and I’m also hoping that students will be as enthusiastic about this as I am!
I see the biggest challenge as TIME. Our school has wonderful resource classes, and students are in two to three resource classes a day receiving instruction and enrichment, but that means there is less time for me in the classroom with them. So even though I’m going to do one hour a week, I hope I can truly stick that keeping that time carved out for coding. I also worry that once a week is not enough frequency and students might forget what they learned last time. I’ve already been using a lot of technology and applications in my classroom as blended learning tools, so I know students will be able to catch on and I have some students who pick up on technology quickly, so they should be able to be a resource to their classmates if I am busy helping other students with their coding lessons.
My biggest question right now is if I can be effective with only doing coding once a week for an hour?

I would like to begin some of the computer science lessons with my K classes next year. I think it would be great to get them set up so that they could work on it independently as they have time. I think that the skills that they learn through CS would help my students grow in other areas as well.

My mainly challenges are going to be having enough technology and also time. I only have 5 iPads for my classes of 20+ students. The iPads and wifi are unreliable and do not always work. I also struggle with time. I teach 1/2 K and it is already difficult to do all the other required curriculum. I would like if students could do some of the work at home, but of course, I cannot require this.

I am interested to hear if any other 1/2 K teachers have found solutions.

What are your goals for your classroom? How will CS or code.org resources help you meet those goals?
One goal is to try and expose all the children in my building to coding. I’d like to start with the youngest students to open up their minds to something new.

What are you most excited about when it comes to implementing some of these resources?
I am looking forward to giving the unplugged activities a try. I think these are fantastic and I really like the idea of having a lesson that doesn’t involve screen time.

What challenges do you foresee in trying to meet your goals?
One of the biggest challenges I can foresee is the lack of computer time. As the school moves towards a 1-to-1 environment it will be easier.

What questions do you have that this community might help you answer?
I’d like to learn more about a few features I see in the dashboard. Like assessments and projects.

1. What are your goals for your classroom? How will CS or code.org resources help you meet those goals? I am going to implement teaching coding in my classroom next year. I will use the unplugged lessons and videos on code.org to help with my instruction.
  2. What are you most excited about when it comes to implementing some of these resources? Looking forward to implementing coding independently, and with partners during centers.
  3. What challenges do you foresee in trying to meet your goals? Getting into the computer lab frequently may be a challenge due to time constraints. I will definitely use my classroom computers during centers though. My own computer knowledge may be a challenge too.
  4. What questions do you have that this community might help you answer? I worry a little that the students will progress further than I am able to help them. There are always students in the class that can help me out though!

Hi. What is CCEdu? and Kodu?

I am an Instructional Technology coach so I don’t have a classroom. I work with the entire school and go into classrooms and work with students and teachers. My goal is to develop a scope and sequence for each grade level to build lesson plans based upon the Virginia Computer Science standards.

What are you most excited about when it comes to implementing some of these resources? I am most excited about developing these resources and sharing them with my school. It will be a lot of work but is something I have wanted to accomplish for some time now.

What challenges do you foresee in trying to meet your goals? A challenge would be helping teachers find time to implement the computer science and coding standards. We also don’t have enough computers and we only have one lab which is primarily used for testing.

What questions do you have that this community might help you answer? Has anyone else created a scope and sequence of lessons? Anyone else out there from Virginia?

After posting your initial plan, feel free to revisit this thread in the future to update us on how things are going!

• What are your goals for your classroom? How will CS or code.org resources help you meet those goals?
My goals for my classroom will be to introduce the vocabulary and start with unplugged lessons to build some understanding with hands on practice. Gradually I will move my students to the computer to further their skills and understanding of coding. I will use the videos on code.org to support instruction.

• What are you most excited about when it comes to implementing some of these resources?
I am excited to see how my students will work together to problem solve the puzzles.

• What challenges do you foresee in trying to meet your goals?
The challenges I see are limited time and devices.

• What questions do you have that this community might help you answer?
How to find the time to incorporate these lessons.