Teaching events

I really like the idea to do a read aloud for books like “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” and “The Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly”. I also like the idea of playing games with repetitive events like “Simon Says”.

For my Kindergarteners I like the activity given of the paper remote control that triggers the students to make a certain movement. The kids will be able to relate to the remote control because most have used one to play games. The movement aspect will be very exciting for the students as well.

Once I finish this stage of the lesson I feel like I will have more ideas on incorporating events into the classroom. But I do like the paper remote idea.

I will explain events to the students using a remote control. What does each button tell to rc device to do? then we will use buttons on the control to tell students what to do.

I teach first grade. We use a math program that students in my class are introduced to early in the year. There are many events that happen as they solve math problems with their player. I woul have the students name some of the events that they have come across and make a poster we could keep adding to over several days. I would play the game using the elmo and computer so we could look together and add any more to our list. I would have them work in pairs to go back through and use a different section of the math areas to compile a list of events that we could also hang in the room to share and compare. Maybe a home work assignment where they could teach theor parents about events on some of the games they play with on devices at home.

I would explain this to my students by doing something like the lesson suggests with every time you do something the computer reacts. That idea is key to understanding this core computer concept.

What a great idea! I use that book to teach cause and effect, which what an event is in programming.

I teach high school math, so I would want to compare events to something that students are familiar with in my classroom. In the code.org examples and curriculum, they used the ideas of remotes and video games. Along those same lines, I would compare events to using Chromebooks. All of our students have Chromebooks, and without probably thinking about the programming behind it, they push a button or click a link and expect something specific to happen. We could talk about how when they click the email icon, they know that their email is going to open up. They don’t want it open and on their screen all the time, so the email opening is responding to the event of the student actually clicking on that button. I think that this could be a helpful way to describe events, since our students use their Chromebooks daily.

I really think that Simon Says is a great way to introduce the concept of events to younger students. For older students, you could use a more complex game like Night At The Museum, or even the H.O.R.S.E. basketball game.

How would you explain the concept of events to your students?

I would explain that an event is an action that causes something to happen. I would give multiple examples and ask students to come up with their own.

When introducing the concept of “Events” to my first grade students, I relate it to something that happens automatically. It is a reaction that must happen right away. I like to brainstorm a list of things in our lives that happen automatically. Some ideas are: when the phone rings, someone must answer it. When the bell rings, we must stop our recess games. When the page is finished reading, the bell dings to turn the page. Some times we have interactive events such as teacher/student call backs - “One, two, three, eyes on me…” “One, two, eyes on you!” On the computer we see events when we click the mouse on a book to read or to open an app.

I like the idea of talking about their daily activities as events and the resulting action. The read aloud idea of When You Give a Mouse a Cookie will certainly resonate with the primary grades.

I would turn the script around a little bit on the kids. I would ask the kids to find things in their days that cause them to do something. For instance, their phone has sound notification for text messages, phone calls, and other app notifications. I would suggest that they are under the control of the world they wish to live in and all different types of things that happen on a daily basis are controlling their events to take place. The phone is one example. The clock and key times in the day like lunch time, pack-up and dismissal time, or when the teacher does something that caused the class to take action like pick up a ball or turn out the lights. The kids are actually the program that is following the events programmed throughout the day.

In the younger years I would definitely use the read aloud method. The remote method would be great for a PE lesson. We could also make a Maths game using an equal sign if doing factors we could place a number on the board and the children that know the answer raise their equal sign and give an answer.

I often use 3 or 4 learners. One learner is the instigator, the others have an action (out finger on nose/cover eyes/sit down etc…) to do but only if the instigator points to them. If the instigator points to some one else, nothing will happen as that person does not have an action.

Think it would be fun to go through a series of sounds and ask kids what they would do when they hear that sound. Maybe a fire alarm, or the chimes for switching centers or the harmonics for getting the kids to stop, look and listen to the teacher.

I teach a multi-age classroom of 4/5/6 graders who all had some experience with code.org last year. This is our second year using code.org district wide, so students have not all done the same lessons even if they were with me last year. It is important for me to remind students to let those who have not learned the skills yet to get a chance to answer questions and figure things out on their own.

I like the idea of using games to introduce events. I will have all of my students play some of the same game so that we all have a common experience while also let the gamers’ share their expertise. I think having a common game experience will help students make a connection with the concept of events more concrete.

Los eventos son acciones que hacen que algo suceda.
Una manera en la que los eventos se pueden entender y que está muy relacionado a los estudiantes son los videojuegos.

UN evento es una situación que activa una acción. Por ejemplo, un evento sería el timbre en la hora de clases. Saben que cuando toca el timbre la clase termina y activa la acción guardar útiles u ordenar puestos para salir. Usando un ejemplo como este trataría que mis estudiantes entiendan lo que es un evento.

:slight_smile:

Lo mejor es usar un video juego, asi le queda mas claro a los alumnos y tambien a traves, de papeles indicando que evento sucede al apretar tal o cual.