U1 Day 10: PD Discussion Topic

I’m looking forward to analyzing data to find connections. I’m hoping to get to Unit 5 by the end of the semester because I think the ability to find, store and analyze data is one of the more important topics of the next decade, especially with the advent of IoT. I think students will find it interesting to see the patterns and conclusions data produces. Hopefully they will begin to make connections to their lives and produce change.

I like the room activity and the TED video. I think that students will understand how much data is available in graphics.

I love the room activity. I think the students will be shocked to see how differently they pictured the room.

I think this lesson will open up a whole new world of ways of looking at data. (The TED Talk is awesome!) The students will see that data can be represented in amazing new ways.

The room activity will open their eyes to how differently others see things and how we “fill in the blanks” with our own experiences (drawing basketball shoes instead of high heels).

Students will find the analysis of different ways to represent data quite interesting as I did.

I would like to present this to my kids in much the same way it was presented to us in the workshop. We had a lot of fun with this activity, and I’m sure my students will enjoy it as well.

This is an ECS-pertinent data visualization called Diversity in Tech which was done by David McCandless and team. Check out that whole “Information is Beautiful” site for other great supplements for these lessons.

This lesson made me think a lot about how I present information and how I read different types of data. I would like to challenge my students to represent data in different ways for different purposes and or audiences.

I will use the lesson that we did in class as well as use this video

I am looking forward to the different interpretations the students will identify when they view the different pictures of the room and data to interpret their story/findings. I believe the students will be able to recognize incomplete data and what can and can’t be measured when interpreting the data. I think it will lead to some interesting discussions.

I think that I am most looking forward to laying the groundwork for why data is important for unit 5. I think there was a bit of a “why are we doing this” in reguard to the image generation in unit 5 last year, so this is really going to do a great job of showing why that is important. The one thing that I am trying to decide is weather of not I want to use the video here during this lesson, or later as part of one of the lessons in Unit 5.

Big data is beautiful. I am looking forward to the many ways that my students will see things differently through the lens of data.

There are a number of ways to display data. Students will come up with new ideas to do so.

I found the aspect of how visual we are the most interesting.I believe that the students will take away a more conscience awareness of how data can manipulate.

I wonder how students are going to make connections between types of data in the Room Activity and what kind of discussion the activity will generate. I want to see how students organize and represent data.

Wow definitely using the Target Pregnancy article for both telling a story and internet safety.

I like the way David McCandless’s story of Data Ted Talk draws them into thinking about data. This would be a great time to have them do some data collection. This summer we collected: time, location, duration/length of text/phone call. It would be good to introduce the data collection idea early…I’m not sure what the topic should be yet but some ideas are: nutrition: meats, vegies, sweats, snacks, water, sugar drinks, energy drinks, exercise steps: use an app or counter, walking, running, sports, entertainment: computer, phone, tv, car, outside, inside…

As a class we could generate the topic for our data collection or we could have several groups collecting the data. We would weekly compile the data on a google spreadsheet for the pairs…fun to add photo evidence. After…collection period is over by on day 10 I suppose we would start collection of data in 3. on Day 10 watch the video and give a challenge to the group to represent the data in 3 ways to tell 3 different stories.

Show students how data collection can influence decision making and how patterns are used to make decisions.

Data can tell pretty much any story but in the classroom, the most amazing data seems to others seems to be birth dates and ages of the kids. Some are surprised at the differences in age or that another classmate has the same birthday as a student next to them. It’s pretty strange that most students (I have found) have a similar birthday that sit together (without even knowning!)

Students will be blown away by the data that the video shows. Especially the video games. Students will take away that data can tell a story and a lot of the time it is not realized until it is visually shown to them.

I’m looking forward to ask my students what they think about the “new oil”. How valuable will be.