U1 Day 15-16: PD Discussion Topic

If there happens to be PB allergies, we could just make a butter and jelly sandwich. I don’t plan on the students actually having to eat it anyhow. Otherwise we will stick with the PB. We did this in my PD session and it was very engaging and entertaining. I believe my students will feel the same.

Placing a x on floor for the robot to stand. Students write the code to direct the robot to candy jar, while holding a wolf. Once they reach the candy jar they teach the robot to decide what to choose or it just has to stand there.

I will use scratch and have students write the procedures of a certain task

I think students will enjoy this lesson. Instead of peanut butter, I will use Marshmallow fluff and jelly. This will alleviate any concerns with peanut allergies.

I really enjoyed the in-class activity that we performed at the training in Chicago at DePaul University. Instead of peanut butter they used applesauce. Not quite the same as peanut butter but it was something spreadable. I would also use the steps to making French Bread Pizza and let the kids enjoy while learning processes and following directions (or their favorite recipe they can collaborate on as a team).

I would also like to add that anything that uses a process (whether it be road maps or painting a picture) you could also use for this exercise.

I will use a lesson plan similar to the Unplugged “Move It, Move It” lesson plan. I break my students into groups and take them outside. They decide who the “robot” will be. I give them signs with a set number of commands. I instruct them how to use these commands before we go outside. I place numbered cards on different places in the quad. Each group starts from a corner so it is fair and just. The first “robot” to collect numbered cards that sum to exactly 21 wins. Course I am in Vegas hence the number 21 being significant.

I have asked my students and so far no allergies but maybe making brownies or cereal or even pizza might be fun.

I’ve thought about ways to bring a local flare to this lesson, something that would bring some history or pride of our area. For now, I will go with a paper airplane, avoid the phone calls from parents about peanut allergies, and continue looking for something that really stands out for my community.

I had done this lesson when I was a college student in the 90’s and taught it for 8-10 years, so it is old hat for me. That’s why I am looking for something original and unique for our area to integrate some different topics and subject.

I think I will use the idea of making paper airplanes instead of peanut butter and jelly if there are peanut allergies. I also think that I will use the cafeteria as a space instead of my classroom

After reading other’s suggestions here, I like the idea of asking students to write instructions to make a paper airplane. Another idea could be to write instructions to walk toward a door from a starting location and open the door.

I am going to use PB&J for this lesson. If there is a peanut allergy then I will use s’mores. I had a lot of fun doing this activity at the PD and I know my students will enjoy it also. I think I will have them start out with drawing a picture and writing the instructions first so that they get a sense of how precise instructions need to be.

We are going to have each student write a set of instructions for how to get to a room of their choice in the school. Then, they will swap directions with another student. Students following their written instructions will take a picture os where they ended up and share withe the class.

There are so many options for this lesson. How about an algorithm for origami? Drawing a house? Making a taco? Have fun with it so that the students do too.

P & J will be good. I will use that for my lesson

I’m staying away from potential allergen issues and will most likely be doing (A) the paper airplane activity, as seen in my summer PD; and/or (B) create directions for getting to another room in the building, as my high school is enormous and will likely cause much confusion if they were to follow someone else’s steps.

I may also use the “program a robot” mini-activity in which students must give me instructions to complete a simple task in the classroom (i.e. turn off the lights). I will usually have fun with it and run into the wall or stand on desks if that’s what their instructions dictate. Always a fun time!

• Divide the class in teams – each consisting of three students
• Each team will have two programmers and one human robot
• Programmers will have to write an algorithm for the human robot to follow
• Distribute different scenarios for the programmer to write the algorithm
• One programmer will read the algorithm for the robot to follow
• Debug the algorithm, try again until the task has been accomplished

The paper airplane activity seems to work best for my students.

Id like to integrate following hiking trails, especially because of how close our district is to Mt. Rainier National Forest.

The dollar store offers apple sauce and pudding in single serve cups. These could be substituted for peanut butter and jelly.

I will have the students write instructions for another student to go from one location to another (such as the front doors of the school to their home or library, etc.) I will then ask the student receiving the instructions to go onto google earth, street view, and see if they get to their destination.