U1 Day 17-19: PD Discussion Topic

I might show a couple clips from Star Trek Next Generation. Data’s struggles and the crews guidance as he tries to become more human I think make the issue and differences between a computer and a human clear and its fun

1 Like

The library is a great idea. I’m wondering if I could use the public library. We are a small school so we don’t have a library.

I’m not really sure how to go about the Turing Test. It almost seems too elementary for high school students and so many opportunities for getting off task are available. I am leaning more along the lines of using some sort of video to explain it and letting the students come up with their own version of a test.

From the beginning of my classroom, I’d like to have an open dialog and discussion about the two mindsets of learning: fixed vs. malleable. This conversation about intelligence will continue throughout my course and will make this lesson on artificial intelligence more engaging.

I’m going to follow the lesson and improvise if necessary since this is the first year to teach this subject and then make adjustments next year to fit my classroom and students.

I too am very limited on how I can arrange students in my computer lab-- I will have them work in groups of 3-4 more than likely. Interesting lesson-- could see my class touching on the Turing Test and A.I. etc. I would probably show them a portion of Stanley Kubrick’s Artificial Intelligence movie as a wake up for the first five minutes or so since this class takes place at 8;15 a.m.

I’m not sure how I will set-up my room yet. This will be my first time teaching the Turing Test, but I have read some really good ideas I will utilize during this lesson.

The facility where I teach (juvenile corrections) requires eyes on the students at all times. This will be a problem for me if I am to do the Turing Test Activity. I like the idea of preparing the responses ahead of time and displaying them on the SmartBoard. But that won’t be as much fun for the students. I will give it a try and make changes as needed for the next time that I teach it. Who knows, maybe I will think of something brilliant.

I think this lesson can be successful if it is well planned. I would need at least one other teacher or administrator to help me so that the students could be in the hallway who are the “person” and “computer”. I think that after completing the Computer Intelligence activities I would assign some readings about artificial intelligence and we would have a class discussion around the topic around the pros and cons of artificial intelligence.

I’m going to have my students talk with someone in their group and then have them talk to a bot. They will record the similarities and differences.

This lesson is a nice way to summarize the unit. It ties in several essential ideas about what a computer actually is and what it does. I think that a nice way to teach this lesson is to use the Amazon Echo. Amazon Echo will answer questions that it is asked. Similarly, you could use Cortana (Windows), Siri (Apple), or Google. It is interesting how each responds and could all be used to apply the Turing Test.

As stated in my response from before, I am still a bit unsure about how to proceed. The Turing Game should easily be accomplished using the hallway for the person and computer. Nevertheless, I will look for more info before I coach my students through this one.

I plan on doing what pretty much everyone else is doing and having the two students stand outside the classroom where no one can see which one is being talked to by the runner.

Additionally, here is a site containing more chatbots that is used in one of the labs for AP CS

https://sites.google.com/site/webtoolsbox/bots

1 Like

I will have the students complete questions at the end of one period. I will ask for volunteers to play the part near the end of class. I will work with the students during the study block to make sure they are well versed on how to respond to questions in front of class to give them a more authentic activity. Then I will stat the class with the Turing Test Activity.

I plan on having several tablets set up with different clips from movies that feature artificial intelligence, e.g.Terminator, I, Robot, Star Trek, and 2001: A Space Odyssey. At each of these tablets, I will have a poster paper for students to list how these are or are not an example of AI.

I am not sure exactly how I will run the lesson but I do know that I want to incorporate a little bit of discussion about artificial intelligence and Isaac Asimov’s “Three Laws of Robotics”.

I will bring in my Amazon Echo and demonstrate. We will discuss if this is intelligence or not.

We will both learn by doing. I will introduce the lesson and the students will arrange the class how they feel it should be.

let students play with a chatbot for a period to find deficiencies in its answering

Have students experience several different chatbots and compare the responses they got from each one. Discussion forum online about which ones were more human-like and which ones weren’t. Also discuss the difference between cinematic depictions of AI versus the real thing.