U1 Day 17-19: PD Discussion Topic

I would set-up my classroom as a talk show studio. I would use a talk show setting where we create a video segment conducting the Turing Test. After some research, I found the following chatterbot websites that can be utilized in the classroom:
Cleverbot.com
Elbot.com
Jabberwacky.com

I think the video you had us watch is great and the students will love it. As far as setting up the test in my room that will take some work as it is a single classroom and I would have to find a way to isolate the students

I should be able to conduct this in groups of fours.

Some chat-bots that I have used are:

Alice
http://alice.pandorabots.com/

Cleverbot

Jabberwacky
http://www.jabberwacky.com/

John Lennon Artificial Intelligence Project
http://www.triumphpc.com/johnlennon/

I plan to use a large bed sheet to separate the two “contestants” from the rest of class, with potential questions projected at the front of the room. Something that I will bring into this lesson are the advances with personal assistant apps such as Apple’s Siri, Google Now, Microsoft Cortana, and SoundHound’s Hound (which understands context of questions asked). Additionally there is a large database of chatbots, including some previous ones like SmarterChild from the AOL instant messenger days, that I’ll have students browse located at chatbots.org

I think in addition to tasking various students roles for the activity, after that’s done, I would allow groups to investigate chatbots to explore their answers and determine any that are inaccurate.

Because my room happens to have 2 entrances and walls that do not go to the ceiling, I can have 2 students step outside each of the 2 entrances and run this activity easily. I like the idea of introducing it with a clip from the movie. I’ve not seen the movie, but imagine there may be some other clips that could easily illustrate what we are doing.

There is a clip in the movie, Pirates of Silicon Valley, where Bill Gates tells Ed (last name???) that without his (Bill’s) code his box is just a bunch of blinking lights. This I think drives home the idea that computers must be told what to do by humans.

I can make some arrangement with another teacher in a near by classroom to host some of my students. I’ve read about using Skype as an alternative, I like this idea and I might consider it too.

My classroom has two different doors that open to the hallway. This might work as substitution for the two rooms. I think having students predict how they think a human and computer will answer each question is essential. I think it’d be interesting to extend this to an experiment with Siri, since students might have had experience with it.

I had my students play 20 questions as a class first and then I had them go to the 20q.net website. Students were quite surprised and how often it “guesses” what they’re thinking of in under 20 questions. They can get feel for how the program “learns” about its wrong answers.

I plan on researching the Turing test and supplying the information to the students. In addition I will have the students complete a group or partner project using the Turing test basis. I appreciate the information and all the additional resources for teaching this lesson. I have not used a chatbot/chatterbox site although I am planning on using one such as cleverbot.

Put a student in the front of the classroom facing the wall and the rest of the students behind then just simply assign a number 1 or 2 to one live person and one computer. I will be the mediator and the person can’t talk but write the answer down. that way their is no audio ques. I would also find footage and articles on IBM’s Watson and the work it is doing today and the jeopardy episodes. nope, no links.

It really is not easy to respond to this as there is a variety of types of rooms in the building where I am in. If the room were big enough, the 4 selected students could be asked to stay in the back; if not they can stay outside the room.

With regard to the other resources, chatterbots are a new things for me and would just stick to the listed resources and explore them myself.

The concept of computers being a tool to accomplish our ideas limited by our imaginations will be solidified.  The input, code and outputs will be concepts that will evolve as we see computers as extensions of our thoughts to make life better.  The fact that we are very advanced, but we do not have AI is humbling.

After this lesson I have learned the logistics to run the Turing test and several modifications baed on my classroom environment.  I was thinking of using Web. 2.0 tools such as digital posters to do it like the original test, but the students can believe that I have manipulated the computer and the test might no be as effective.  I will definitely use the four kids  and place them in two different rooms.  I also plan to give the audience a copy of the questions double-sided (human - computer) and space for the students to record their answers so that they may use them as evidence in the discussions.  I will make sure to elicit the questions we should ask form the students and I will leave some space in the hand outs for those class-generated questions.

I pan to use the bots provided and then use IBM WATSON to explore how it is able to understand unstructured data and most importantly, how Watson continue sot “Learn”. Watson link: http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/ibmwatson/what-is-watson.html

This is going to be a little difficult to set up in our environment (all glass walls). The class is made up of older students, so I do not anticipate any behavior issues, so we would send them out to another room or hallway. I would also like to investigate the Eliza software, it may be more conducive to our environment.

This strikes me as a difficult thing to do well. In whole group I think some would lose engagement. Fortunately, I have time to think about it and to get to know my students.

I think that I should be able to screen off part of the room. Plus I have a short hallway and a small storage area. I should be able to make something work.

Not sure how I will do this one. WIll have to borrow from a few members in the forum.

Madohuf

Using the resources found at < http://edu.symbaloo.com/mix/ecsunit1-hci15 > . Especially like this resource that can be found in the ’ AI vs. AI ’ folder < http://viewpure.com/vphmJEpLXU09 >.

I will plan to have the human and computer actors either in the hallway or in a part of class they is visually sectioned off from the rest of class so the go betweens can get answers anonymously. I will have my students also think about which questions from the list would be most likely to differentiate a computer and a human and pick them strategically. The initial discussion will be important for framing how to choose questions in that we want to contrast speed and accuracy with creativity and flexibility.