U1 Day 17-19: PD Discussion Topic

I would have to explain the concept of the Turing Test to students by giving them a video and clip of how it works then break into groups of three, representing the three aspects of the test, evaluator, computer and human. From there they can role play with questions in each group with scripted questions to try to bebunk the concept. I think the students would have a great time and benefit in their learning.

How do you plan to set up your classroom to best facilitate the Turing Test Activity? What other resources might you use in this lesson? Do you have any links for different chatterbot websites?

I will definitely brief my students about the expectations about the activity and how the classroom community expects to be respectful and controlled during the activity (I have a class of almost 40). I will then allow them into our lobby area so that there is more room to move about and to interact. I will definitely follow up with a video to explain the activity further.

Students used the chatterbot website in another class I’ve taught and really got into it. They were laughing and saying “Hey, listen to what she said!” throughout the activity. I’m looking forward to the lesson. I’m going to try to post two students outside. One with a chatterbot link and one without and use two additional students for the go between. Then I’ll allow the students to ask a question to both and see if they can tell the difference, or how long it takes them. I’ll have the questioning students in teams and ask them to form a consensus before they answer the question.

I would like to introduce this lesson by showing clips of Lost In Space, 2001 Space Odyssey, Terminator, etc, then discuss with class how Hollywood’s expectations of artificial intelligence has changed over time.

Trying to answer before reading responses. I think just having the kids be mobile in their groups is the best way to facilitate this. Fortunately, my class is small, so when moving to the chatterbot activities they can be well dispersed in their groups around the room.

For the Turing Test unplugged; I think I’d like to use some sort of jigsaw scenario for this so that I get the kids mixed up and rotating their groups better.

New to chatterbot sites, so I can’t offer any - will be reading on!

I will show a short video on the turing test and then have students pair in groups of 4 and create a poster on what they got out of the turing test video and report out to the class.

For this one we will likely rely on what the course provides as resources. We’re finding that groups of 4 are not working well as it is too easy for 1 or 2 students to “check out”. Pairs seem to work best but we may need to go with three’s to reduce time to share out.

I have two connected classrooms through two doors, so I have options on how to run this. If I didn’t, we could use cell phones and text questions and answers from a distant location.

I want to introduce this lesson on the first day and have it done as a unit project.

I will have students discuss which items/concepts in a crime scene are better explored/analyzed by a human, and which items are better done by a computer, and WHY. I will bring them to the crime scene lab and set up a faux crime scene with different elements, such as: muddy footprints, blood spatter, shell casings, and tissue samples.

This is a great YOU TUBE video about AI need to include this in the lesson .“E3 2009: Project Natal Milo demo”

I will also use the hallway when facilitating the Turing Test. I will also utilize a few of the great links provided like the one for the IBM Watson and the A.L.I.C.E. I will also try to find samples from movies that relate to artificial intelligence like the Terminator, War Games, and I, Robot. We also may do a comparrison between the Apple Siri vs Android Cortana.

My students will watch the short video about the Turing Test and we will talk a little bit about the man himself. In order to set the test up my class is in the library at my school so there will be plenty of space to send people down book isles. For the first run through this lesson I think I will keep it simple and stick to the resources provided by code.org and the curriculum.

The chatterbots will fit nicely with my online class. I’m not sure how to facilitate the Turing Test Activity without them.

I really enjoy this forum…there are so many great ideals out there from fellow teachers. I really appreciate all of you. I like the one ideal of having the students either using iphone and or Skype (group of my students in one room and another group of my students in another room). I am also thinking about using dragon…the software that will type when words are spoke into the headset. Lastly, In addition, there is certainly value in watching the short video about the Turing Test, so that the students know that scientists/innovators have different ideals and this could be one of them.

I will consider using an online AI site to emlulate human conversation such as: http://alice.pandorabots.com/
to execute the Turning Test part of the lesson.

Allowing student to actually interact with a chatterbot will show students the reality of the Turing test and will be a great extension to this lesson. I also think a group discussion about the future of AI and technology would be interesting as well.

Do you know the name of the video or could share the link?

I have a large lab so I think I will be OK to spread out the students/groups. We could also go across the hallway and use the cafeteria. I would like to find the video that demonstrates the Turing test and plan to use some of the chatterbot sites discussed in this forum. Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!

I am hoping to have the JQ as a closing to the previous lesson so that we can begin talking about intelligence the day before. Then a homework assignment would be to check out a few different real or imaginary AIs out there to come to class with a better understanding of what AI is and could be one day. So then the start of the class would be sharing out on their homework, and then we would do the Turing Test including some follow up journaling and discussion. I am modifying the Computer Intelligence Activity as some of the links don’t really work.