U2 Challenge Decisions

Here is my Lesson plan for unit 2: day 5-7 cornrow braiding. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxWvscrI0TD6d2Y0anpDelhZaEE/view?usp=sharing

I’ll be working on Day 13-14: Linear and Binary searches.

I will be doing the cornrow curves lesson. I’ve ordered yarn to create wigs for the cornrow hairstyles my students will create as a summative piece of their learning.

I completed my challenge on Day 10-12 Binary.

I will be working on Day 13-14 Binary and Linear Search: Tower Building Activity. Students will be using manipulatives to determine the best execution method, in addition to dry erase boards to document their findings for a gallery walk.

Lesson Plan

I will be working on lesson 17

Binary Lesson for me.
I am looking forward to implementing everyone’s suggestions and ideas from here & the CS10K website.
I feel like getting my kids engaged is going to make this class rum more smoothly.

At this time I am sure everyone has done this lesson already. I really enjoyed the problem solving unit as well as my students. The best reaction was the binary section day 13-14 Challenge-2-PageLessonOverviewTemplate.docx (26.4 KB)

I will be using the minimal spanning trees as my challenge.

Melissa,

Sorry I’m just seeing this - but I really like your reflection piece. In this day and age of instant information, it’s important to have students thinking about their process and how they got to a solution.

Brad

I will be working on Lesson Plan: Day 15-16 Sorting Algorithms. Anyone interested to teaming up for this one will be welcomed.

I worked on the binary lesson and created additional worksheets for students to solve.

I would like to work on Lesson Plan: Day 10 - 12 Binary Number System. I already completed this lesson with my class and applied several extensions. One, I had the students write a secret message which they encode in binary. The instructions are to complete this task and then to switch codes with someone else in the class so they can decode each others. I also had the students complete find the binary numbers for decimal numbers from 0 to 76, allowing them to further practice with numbers larger than what was offered through the csunplugged activities.

I would like to work on days 10-12 Binary Number System.

In this lesson, students will learn how to write their last names in binary. Students will then create a two to three word slogan using binary. The class will practice interpreting what they hear and converting back to determine the message. What are some ways to keep students engaged? What are ways to break it down further to those who don’t “get it”?

Lesson

I will be working on the minimal spanning tree lesson from day 17 also
Val Wheeler

I am going to work on binary.

I will be working on the Binary Lesson. I will have the students create a Binary art. They create their name using the binary and ASCII codes. But instead of using the numbers 0s and 1s, they will use objects found around there house to represent 0s and 1s.

I am going to do lesson 13 binary algorithms

I’m going to do my lesson on minimal spanning trees. This is similar to other topics I cover in another class and there should be some carryover for students I have had in class before.

I’m doing the final project and adding a modification of having students create a theme of their locations they’d like to visit in a day (ex. college visits, shopping for holidays, etc)