U4 Challenge Decision

Event Driven Programming Slides

1 Like

Instead of using the actual knock-knock joke, I had the students create a dialog using a minimum of 3 sprites with each sprite having three different parts of dialog. These were then shared with the whole class. It went well as some of my students really got into writing their scripts.

I will be working on moving sprites.

My focus will be on the RPS game and in particular how the use of Boolean connectives can streamline the coding structure.

Hi Everyone :smile:
Just checking in to see if anyone needs help with anything in this unit.
Also, if youā€™re looking for someone to work with on your lesson, let me know, I can work with you.
-Kevin

Iā€™m doing the day 5-6 challengeā€¦ moving Sprites

I used an open ended scratch project.
I had a student who had he project featured on MIT Scratch for a week and she was able to help show my students how to do certain things in Scratch.

1 Like

Day 18, 19: Rock Paper Scissors and Timer
Lesson Plan: Day 18,19 Rock Paper Scissors and Timer

I chose the final projectā€¦ and to tell you the truthā€¦ all the way along I introduced the final project to tell them to start adding and building as to save time in the end of what they wanted as a final project so as they were learning each day, they were actually adding and tweaking their final project. Some actually made ones, but others that struggled in class and didnā€™t have computers at home just followed the plan. I used/borrowed this advice for them:

1. If students are making the game, tell them to start off small and add features as they go along to ensure that they will finish!

2. Wed or Thursday of next week you will be paired with someone else. You will take turns using a rubric to grade the other personā€™s project. Students should be able to get an idea of where their grade stands now, and what else they need to do to enhance their project.

Iā€™m doing the final project. I feel like this is one of the most fun activities of the year for the kids, and I want to give them plenty of time to work on it.

Challenge
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QrXA1kcIfep359dT_LS9mGymW9cR53tIMCdMreFVDnA/edit?usp=sharing
Scoring Rubric
Unit 4 Final Project Peer Scoring Sheet.docx (5.3 KB)

1 Like

Day 1-3: Scratch Intro and Name Animation
Challenge OverView Doc
PPT Lesson Presentation
Info doc on how to turn in Scratch projects to teacher

1 Like

@richard_crow, I like the amount of details you put into your lessons! You make it very easy for us to follow along, thanks!

Unit 4 - Moving Sprites Days 5-6

I added an extension that I call ā€œBases Loadedā€ to the basic lesson plan. https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Kx-xMg5B7Wqo39IwHf_WQIONBMba77j1HLopnZ6x9E/edit?usp=sharing

I am going to prepare a lesson for day 5-6 Moving Sprites.

I will be doing day 7-8 Event Driven. The Alphabet game!.. My students will be actually be creating an alphabet game for real preschoolers (3-5 year olds). My high school has ECE program and the kids will be coming in and ā€œjudgingā€ the games. They will be providing my students with feedback in order to give them the real life gaming programmer feel!

Unit4OnePager.pdf (106.3 KB) U4Reflections.pdf (79.3 KB)

I also created the following video for students to use as an example or for further practice:

1 Like

@adriana_delap
Nice connection to a resource in your building and providing an audience for your students!

Andrea

@william_hatten

I like your video as a resource for students who are struggling with this lesson especially when you fixed mistakes and explained your thought process.

I wonder if you showed the video to all students or allowed individual students to choose how much of it to watch.

Andrea

Challenge- Unit 4.docx (23.3 KB)

Here is day 7-8 For the alphabet game! My students really enjoyed this assignment. I also enjoyed watching their enthusiasm knowing that real little kids would be playing their game Having the pres-preschoolers come in gave the task real legitimacy!

1 Like

I focused on Sprites moving. Using storyboards and partner programming helped. I have also really let students experiment with Scratch and have a lot of freedom with some of their projects. It has been fun learning from them and seeing their creativity!