U4 Challenge Decision

I will do Day 5-6 Moving Sprites.

I did Day 4. I did not use Scratch for this unit as I used App Inventor. The lesson plan I did was for what I would have done if I used Scratch.

Unit4Challenge-Day4.pdf (83.1 KB)

Lesson : Moving Parts – Stratch

Overview
In this lesson students will learn how they can create movement in Scratch. Students to understand that each type of movement has a specific purpose and should be used for specific reasons. The types of movement may seem similar at the basic level. They will add to their knowledge.

Lesson Summary
Step 1: Create a path with tape throughout the classroom.
Step 2: Complete moving.sb program and discuss in groups and then with the class what parts were the most difficult and answer the questions.
Step 3: Complete the baseball.sb program and encourage students to add their own style and design. ○ Demonstrate turning and the sprite direction ○ Make sure all three types of movement are demonstrated ○ Demonstrate the importance of refreshing/resetting ○ Demonstrate costume changes
Step 4: Debrief: have students discuss or write in their journals about the difficulties and successes from this program.

CS Content
Students will understand programming, problem solving, creativity, design, and user interface.

Objectives
Students will be able to:
Each student will need a computer and access to Scratch.mit.edu
Baseball.sb file
Journal
Materials and Prep

Resources
Student Documents

Code Studio

Video

Assessments
Monitor Student progress on moving.sb and baseball.sb programs
Offer additional challenges for advanced students
Notes

Overview
This lesson describes how to create a dialogue between two sprites by
first creating a written dialogue.
Lesson Summary
● I didn’t use Scratch for this Unit. Instead I used App Inventor. I am
doing what I would have done if I used Scratch.
● Lesson Sequence:
○ Have students share their name projects from the day
before
○ Introduce the assignment
■ Tell a couple jokes or small talk
■ Tell students that they are going to have two
sprites do some small talk
○ Demonstrate using Knock Knock joke
○ Students get on computers and create their dialogues on
Scratch
○ Have students share their dialogues to the class
○ Discuss the process of how the dialogue works
CS Content
The CS Content covered is the inquiry and collaboration in creating
dialogues on Scratch.
Objectives
Students will be able to:
● Develop a dialogue between two
or more Scratch sprites
● Explain the reasoning behind how
their dialogue works
Materials and Prep
● Scratch and Computer

Resources
Student Documents
● Scratch Dialogue

Code Studio

Video

Assessments
● Scratch Dialogue

I will be focusing on the Names Project.

I will be doing day 7-8: Event driven programming. I taught this unit with a mixed classroom of first- and second- semester ECS students, so I adapted this lesson to utilize Google Classroom in a flipped style.

This is how I presented my lesson.

I adapted it for a flipped classroom style using Google Classroom. I think that applies as a new resource or tool, but since Google Classroom is locked to the school you are in, I can’t share links here.

Yes, it was. I am not sure what happened.

I chose the Knock Knock joke. Have two sprites interact to ask/answer the joke.

I did Day 5-6 moving sprites

I did Lesson 4 Animate name & Extended game: This is what I did

I’m going to do day 10-13 broadcasting… I really enjoyed the creativity of my students in this project and that is the main reason why I chose this challenge for a lesson!!!

I thought I already did this… but I will be doing Lesson 10-13 broadcasting…

Challenge-Unit4.pdf (91.9 KB)

I completed day 9 - Broadcast. I didn’t like the script so my students and I had a discussion instead and then I created some easy questions to see if they followed how broadcast could work.

Broadcast Lesson

Students will write a Scratch program to have two sprites tell a knock-knock joke.
Teacher will demo a program telling a joke.
Students will have to use dialog, timing, and other controls shown on previous programs.

I will be submitting the final project.
Students were very engaged with this unit however I observed a lack or absence of attempts at creativity. Some students went through each activity as directed but added nothing to it. Some students version of completing various activities was to go to the gallery and “borrow and amend” someone else’s project.

For the final project I went with an alternative where I dictated some of the constraints (as if a third-party contract). I introduced them to and required that they learn to play the popular dice game Yahtzee with actual dice. Then I introduced an online/digital version to model how a game might look. I required them to use graphics that I provided so the weren’t simply pulling from the sprite gallery and set criteria for what should be included in their “game”. I allowed for a range to accommodate the students who were not “as” creative or productive.160419 U4S8D14-18 Dice.pdf (311.4 KB)

I worked on Lesson 3 Days 2-3

[http://Daye3lesson2.3

I would like to work on a Scratch lesson.