Unit 4 Lesson 6: Online PD Discussion

Use this space to discuss the challenge activity for online pd. If you completed this lesson as part of your PD, be sure to share the following:

• Any visualizations or other lessons artifacts created by completing your challenge activity
  • The assessment question or extending learning activity that you produced for this lesson.
  • Notes for others who are going to teach this lesson. This should include:
    • Advice for someone who is going to teach this lesson (consider what was challenging about doing the lesson, what you think students will struggle with, etc).
    • What ideas do you have about how to structure and teach this lesson? what modifications do you plan to make to the lesson?
    • What additional resources (if any) might be helpful in teaching this lesson.

That was a fun lesson !

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TWYvHpIj_l5n0jurySpuWcp046tVWCxHXofyOAfdRmI/edit?usp=sharing

Lesson 5.6.docx (13.9 KB)

Extension Activity 5.6docx.docx (12.7 KB)

Lesson 5.6 Advice.docx (13.8 KB)

This lesson was really a good way for students to get involved in the lesson, and I can see how this can be used as a collaborative lesson with a students science, economics or a business class they might take.

Read Me: This was a
quick and easy way to show the concept of this lesson. I used a fairly easy
question in which most students would have an easy way of answering. For those
students that said; ‘I’m not sure’ I repeated the question; “At what age
did you first realize that you liked sweets?” I emphasized the words AGE
and REALIZED so that while they might not know exactly at what age they
liked sweets, they might have a realization that at what age, they realized
they liked sweets. I used sweets instead of candy because in my mind, if you
use the word candy, students might think they have to name a product, with
sweets, it is a much broader term for things like fruit or sugar in a general
sense.

I surveyed 52 students that volunteered to take the survey. I only did it
in one day, and not in all class periods.

Advice for someone who is going to teach this lesson: If you are unfamiliar with creating charts in Excel or in
Google Docs, there are plenty of tutorials available. The tutorials given here
are excellent for Google Docs, but if you are using Excel, the treatment is a bit
different.

What ideas do you have about how to structure and teach this
lesson? What modifications do you plan to make to the lesson?

There are so many ways to collect
data, I would find one way that works and do it that way.

This is a great collaborative way for students to actually get a feel for and create a school needs assessment survey.
Students can create a hypothesis as to what they think they might
find-write a short paragraph on it BEFORE they do the data collection, then
after analyzing the data see if they were close or not.
Points would be scored on collection and completion of data as well as the right up, before and after analysis.

The assessment question or extending learning activity that you produced for this lesson.
Since we have access to the full dataset … Identify 5 questions that might support your conclusion and compare the visual evidence to the “life of the party” visualization to determine how accurate your assumption was.

Notes for others who are going to teach this lesson. This should include:
The full dataset, and a lot more data, is available to you via the links - if you want to create your own datasets or explore alternate topics.

What ideas do you have about how to structure and teach this lesson? what modifications do you plan to make to the lesson?
I think I will have to ease students into it to help them formulate questions. There might be a discussion for 1-2 days about the types of information that we need to evaluate our assumptions. Once they have an idea of the questions that need to be answered, interpreting the data might be less intimidating.

Completed Activity Guide

Thanks for sharing. I like the school needs assessment idea.

Lesson 6.pdf (38.7 KB)

For my activity, I used data from two of my classes to see if there was a relationship between my students’ grade levels and performance. Using data that is relevant to me made the lesson more interesting to me. I suggest that students look at data that they are interested in.

As an extension activity, students might look start collecting data on how much time they spend on their phones each day for a week as well as how much much time they spend doing homework.

StahlU4L06ActivityGuide-DiscoveraDataStory.pdf (152.7 KB)

The lesson was great for becoming more familiar with Google Sheets and data sets in general. At first I was a bit overwhelmed with all the information. Reducing the amount helped to focus on the story. I have more to learn about Big Data and how best to help my students. My advice is to go through each lesson carefully.

I’ve got quite a bit of experience using Excel and the transition to Sheets was seamless. I liked the lesson as an introduction to reading spreadsheets and creating graphs. Of course I will scaffold it differently to meet the needs of my students.

My advice for someone who will be teaching this lesson is to be sure to spend time with the data and with the spreadsheet so that you can help your students work with it. Be sure you have thought about the relationships in the data and try to point out some not-so-obvious relationships. It is a good time to help them remember that correlation is not causation.

My extension activity linked below gives suggestions for structuring and modifying the lesson. Mainly it would involve spending more time discussing the data and bringing out relationships and showing the students how to read a spreadsheet.

Unit 4 Lesson 6 Extension Activities

Unit 4 Lesson 6 Activity Guide (completed)

Unit 4 Lesson 6 Data

I created my chart in google sheets and now want to paste it to question 1 on the activity guide which opened in word and no matter what i try it will not copy and paste. If I download my sheets file as an excel file then i can cut and paste but the formatting from sheets does not carry over so any reformatting would have to be done in excel which i think will confuse the students who learned these two lessons on sheets. What can I do to simplify this process?

Following up from my previous question. If the student downloads the Activity Guide from Code Studio, they get a pdf file which they cannot edit so how can they paste and or answer the questions on that file

Hi @bbinkley,

Since all the activity guides are google documents you can easily make copies of them to your own or a students google drive. To Make a copy:

Another option is to have them download the file as something other than a PDF such as a Word Document

Best,
Dani

I like the idea of that lesson. Although I didnt get a chance to teach this lesson, this is a good place to start. Hopefully students would see the correlation between absences and grades.

I had my students answer your survey questions and then practice using google sheets and forms. Learning with partners and then sharing information with other teams.

My extended activity was that I created my own survey to have my students grade each others projects. Then I showed them how I cleaned the data (typed names in same format) and used cleaned data to analysis grading process and to peer grade.

Activity Guide Lesson 6

I agree that this is a great collaborate way for students to get a feel for and create surveys. I also like your emphasis on having them write before as that would be a true hypothesis.

Have the students find their own data to graph (Internet, polling students, etc.) or show them documents like the following from Google: https://services.google.com/fh/files/misc/images-of-computer-science-report.pdf Here is an example:

As mentioned before, students need to be familiar with spreadsheets and handing data.

Link to my Visual

For the extended learning activity I would actually have students print out their visual artifacts and display them around the room. I would give students post its and we would have a gallery walk and post what we believe the story is behind the visuals we see. We have have posted on several different artifacts, I would have each student come in and put up the actual story behind their data and see how close each individual came to portraying the story that the creator and in mind and also see the different perspectives that each person interprets what you were trying to convey.

When teaching this lesson it was great that the students had a mini tutorial before the lesson to practice how to create different visuals. We might want to have a few examples or visuals that students can look and have a short exercise where they kind of guess the story behind those visuals as a sought of warm up for the exercise and to kind of assess their understanding of what you are looking for when you say create a visual that tells a story.

Artifact:

Extension: I had students create a dashboard that tells a story. They put together a couple of graphics with captions that tell a story about the data.

Additional resources: I used some of Tukey’s principles in data visualizations. I also shared with them some great data visualizations and also had them critique data visualizations with questions that were inspired by a PD I attended with Hans Pfister as the instructor. Here are the links to his presentations.:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxYkKyLxfsNVNndnQVZqZkwzcU0/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxYkKyLxfsNVVUYtU2pNcXlmYkE/view

Artifact:

To see my full responses, check-out this file:
HPUnit4Lesson6.pdf (147.0 KB)

Extended Learning Activity:
This activity is based on the work of Dr. Hans Rosling, and I’ve used a similar activity in math classes before which always generates good discussions and learning.
HPUnit4Lesson6Extension.pdf (63.6 KB)

Advice about the lesson:
The data sets that we were given contain enormous amounts of data, which for me made it a bit of a struggle to even choose which data I wanted to look at and investigate further, so I could see a lot of students getting hung up on choosing a data set and not ever getting to the actual main activity of the lesson. I would suggest assigning different data sets to different groups of students to help with that. I would maybe also within the groups ask each group member to make a different graph of some part of the data that interests him/her, and then ask them how their visualizations connect to one another. That way they could still help each other and work as a team, but have individual accountability as well.