Unit 4 Lesson 8: Online PD Discussion

Use this space to discuss the challenge activity for online pd. If you completed this lesson as part of your PD, be sure to share the following:

• Any visualizations or other lessons artifacts created by completing your challenge activity
  • The assessment question or extending learning activity that you produced for this lesson.
  • Notes for others who are going to teach this lesson. This should include:
    • Advice for someone who is going to teach this lesson (consider what was challenging about doing the lesson, what you think students will struggle with, etc).
    • What ideas do you have about how to structure and teach this lesson? what modifications do you plan to make to the lesson?
    • What additional resources (if any) might be helpful in teaching this lesson.

1. Any visualizations or other lessons artifacts created by completing your challenge activity:
    Created an extended lesson that requires students to search for census data, make Pivot Tables in Google sheets for specific data fields, add aggregation columns and calculate percentage.

2. The assessment question or extending learning activity that you produced for this lesson:
    Created extended lesson that includes activities and pivot table rubric with assessment questions.

3. Notes for others who are going to teach this lesson. This should include:

A) Advice for someone who is going to teach this lesson (consider what was challenging about doing the lesson, what you think students will struggle with, etc).

Start by teaching the basics of MS Excel, then Google Sheets, while completing lesson Creating Summary Tables. The most challenging aspect is for the student to understand which data set is most important to utilize when creating a pivot table, while manipulating table to reach quantified results.

B) What ideas do you have about how to structure and teach this lesson? What modifications do you plan to make to the lesson?

This lesson is structured properly, however I would recommend teaching the fundamental basics of MS Excel and Google sheets first and follow up with a more in depth extended lesson that delivers detailed scenarios, including practice exercises.

C) What additional resources (if any) might be helpful in teaching this lesson?

Extended Lesson, Pivot Table Rubric, Miami_FtLauderdale_PompanoBeach census data sheet,
and Owned_Firms data sheet.Extended lesson.docx (16.0 KB) PivotTableRubric.docx (24.1 KB) MiamiFtlauderdalePompanoBeach.pdf (235.8 KB) ownedFirms.pdf (101.0 KB)

This is a spreadsheet to practices adding a chart and working with formulas. EnjoyPracticing Physicians Instructions.docx (13.8 KB) Practicing Physicians Initial.pdf (20.0 KB)

I believe there needs to be a discussion at the beginning as well as some guidance for students who have never used Excel before. I will begin by having students practice adding charts and then we will follow the steps shown in the lesson together as a class so any questions can be answered. I pulled out my Excel 2013 textbook and looked up pivot tables and their properties to help myself understand them better. Excel Starters

Artifact

Fortunately, my students take a Microsoft Office class prior to taking this course. I would briefly go over the features of Excel so they can smoothly transition into Pivot tables. I would have the students create their own data sheets to create pivot tables. Every group would have different forms of data which would make the class more interesting.

I would show my students how to create the pivot tables before I let them try it on their own. I would also have my students work with the data and come up with different hypothesis for the data and then try to prove or disprove their hypothesis.

Even though the lesson says that students don’t need to make any graphs for the pivot tables. I will have the students make a graph for a pivot table from the movie data. It think it would be good practice.

Here is a pivot table and graph that I made.

I will then ask the students to study the Twitter data and create a pivot table and a chart. Here is a link to the one I created.

My students really struggled with the pivot tables. I didn’t get the results I wanted. I know it was towards the end of the semester and they were burning out. Before I actually went through the code.org lessons. I would have them create a spreadsheet of 5-8 places they would love to visit this summer (It could be fantastical or realistic). They would map them and rate them for fun factor. I would then make a pivot table with them. Then they would do the lesson.
This teacher did a similar thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRXnQYlIWsM

My students also struggled wit the pivot tables until we walked through several demonstrations. They then used the “Google Trends” resource to create their own tables which were shared out to the class.