Computer Science in Science PD: Using Computer Models in Science - Discussion

With computer modeling, there can be opportunities for students that struggle with hypothesis elaboration to have ideas in their minds BUT do not know how to express it. When running the computer model with their variables will give them the sense of “I knew this was going to happen, I told you” and allow them to elaborate from there.

I have not included experiments that included a design element where students worked with a computational model. Nothing comes to mind at the moment. I need to follow this thread closely.

I think that there are many similarities and differences between computer models and actual experiments. One of the biggest differences is that the experimenter has the ability to run the same test multiple times in a computer model. With actual experiments the ability to replicate experiments would require the need for multiple class periods and with the scope of material we are asked to teach we may not always have the number of days necessary. One of the similarities is that they both are able to allow students to collect actual data and manipulate experiments to “practice” doing science.

Student error is a factor we sometimes “forget” because we are working with students every day. When off-task behaviors get in the way of hands on experiments the entire process and the learning experience is lost. Simulations can hep eliminate that failure quotient.

The Science that i teach in class is usually limited to simple experiments because of the length of time it requires to do the complex experiments, especially if there is any possibility of uncertainty, it would take too long to redo.

Experimental errors is right on target with what I wrote as well. With our teaching curriculum, we are already in need of time, there is no time-allowance for mistakes through explorations, but computational models help us with that.

Within the classroom there is often not enough time to “re create” an experiment or retry an experimental design as there are so many different topics we need to cover in a given amount of time. Do to the constraints placed on the curriculum that needs to be covered, students, more often than not, design a hypothesis based on current research or knowledge of the topic. They have been taught to design a hypothesis to test, and are often given only one chance to try their experiment. With the computer science students could possibly design/test several different hypotheses at once, change their ideas and thoughts and retry their findings several times. This would add more credibility to their data.

How do you think your students might react to using the computational science method?

I was wondering if your students work to develop the design process model of generating science experiments, or are they using the more traditional scientific method process?

This is going beyond running computer simulation programs- now the students will learn to design these programs! Then they can run computer simulation of the models.

In doing labs in the classroom we can run into many barriers. Availability of equipment and consumable resources are probably at the top of the list. While not totally taking the place of hands on inquiry based labs, computer simulations can give us more opportunities and flexibility with respect to labs.

I think computational science is great, but hands-on is still important in student learning. We are definitely moving to a more computerized world of simulation.

Both allow for student design, test, and exploration. But computational models allow for greater results in a shorter period of time and also allows students to explore systems that might take too long or are setting.too small to otherwise be observed in a laboratory

There are variables and controls as well as testable questions and proposed outcomes. The difference is the ability to alter parameters of the test and rerun it allows work with dangerous variables and for outcomes to be run over a longer period of time.

They are similar in that they have variables, controls , a question to be tested and a prediction or hypothesis. They are different in that you could predict over large amounts of time, run tests in otherwise dangerous situations that are not practical to do in person

Good point on the use of consumable resources, however the technology needed for the simulation is also prohibitive and expensive as a start up cost.

Your comment about running out of time. We truly don’t have enough time to run many tests in a 48 minute period.

They are similar in the fact that classroom experiments and computational models follow the scientific method. They both begin with a question, research, a hypothesis, and then either an experiment or a computer model designed to test the hypothesis. Computer models are beneficial for lab experiments that require a longer time frame to collect the data.

Experimenting with computer models allows students to easily experiment with a wide range of materials (sediment type, for example) when designing and conducting experiments. It also eliminates human error and allows for repeated trials.

Couldn’t agree more. We need to continue to use a variety of instructional tools to engage students.