Growth Mindset in ECS Classroom

The concept of a growth mindset is something we have taught students and applied daily in the past two years in our middle school. I think our students are comfortable with the terminology and idea that their abilities are not fixed and generally stay open to new ideas without much prodding.

The growth mindset sets learners up for success. It encourages them to keep trying through the ā€œnot yetā€ methodology. It encourages the process and not just the end result and creates lifelong learners.

I agree simple but to the point.

I implement the growth mindset in all phases of teaching and learning to include myself. I tell my students at the start of the year that they have powerful minds. I draw the analogy that their minds are like weight lifters that strive to get larger and stronger ā€“ they must lift heavier weights each time to accomplish this goal. I let them know that I will be providing the weights in the form of academic challenge and that they should welcome it. Extra focus can be added to problem solving by relating the problem or solution to something they care about or have a passion for.

Hereā€™s a great article on growth mindset that STEM teachers might especially interested in reading and sharing with students: http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2013/10/the-myth-of-im-bad-at-math/280914/

Hi All,
I teach at a correctional facility. The mindset is I am smarter than you butā€¦ I am dumb at academics. I have enjoyed using the Not yetā€¦ phrase when students want to give up. I have used her phrase of how the brain can grow and they can become smarter. I tell them that is why we are here. We are practicing to be better and we may not get it the first or second or even third try. I also relate my personal academic struggles and/or hang ups and they feel more comfortable to learn in the class room

I think modeling a fierce drive to learn is the best approach to this. If we you donā€™t love to learn this is not the business for you. If you show students how excited and enriched you are by learning and even more important learning from them as well you have given them a gift for the duration of their educational journey!

I try and teach growth mindset on the most basic level by asking how many ways can you add 1 + 1. After explaining that there are generally at least 3 ways to solve every problem like I counted on my fingers or I simply added them. From there we start looking at larger problems and exploring the many ways to solve them.

I believe that most analytical problem solving activities are a perfect way to encourage the ā€œgrowthā€ mind set. However, it is essential that the instructor accept the concept that there is no WRONG way of going about solving a problem. Yes, some ways my be more efficient that others, but that doesnā€™t mean that the less efficient ways are wrong; they may have other benefits.
Closed mindset learners need to have their confidence built. They need to experience small victories that will allow them to experience success. They also need to experience minor setbacks that can be turned into a learning experience that they can build upon.
The teacher/instructor need to make sure to redirect the feelings of failure towards feelings of self-reflection and growth.

Agree with this. If you model, show connections from what you see in the lesson that you are doing backwards scaffolding and then ask what could be connected forward.

I incorporate a growth mindset into my classroom by fostering creativity and exploration through learning. I use open ended activities and encourage students to retry and learn from their failures.

I use growth mindset everyday in my classroom. In fact, in the beginning of the school year I spearheaded a PD on Growth mindset for my school! When students are struggling and not getting a concept I always help them through ā€œThe struggleā€ and remind them that this is all a learning experience.

2 Likes

I constantly review student work and give ideas for areas of improvement and then have them redo the assignment and make changes to improve their grade. I think with problem solving skills students could keep track of how long it takes them to solve problems in the unit so they could see the growth in their abilities.

1 Like

Iā€™ve experienced many of my math students giving up on challenging and even not so challenging problems too quickly. I can not understand it. I try my best my changing my teaching methods to best accomodate them them but I still get disparaging results. Iā€™m hoping to learn more about mindset so that I can be a more effective instructor!

I encourage my studentsā€™ growth mindset by my classroom rules which encourage them to be open to innovation and to embrace the diversity around them (among others). I also made sure that throughout this unit and their whole year that they know that they are exceptional students and that our focus is on the process they take to attempt solutions and not whether a solution is reached.

2 Likes

As I code in class I try to model that mistakes happen and that it is ok, I will often work with the class to ask them to ā€˜help me outā€™ with finishing a coding statement.

The other task I often do is I will encourage students and model code revision and improving code for simplification or using an alternate solution that someone else in the class has thought of.

1 Like

I enjoyed the Growth Mindset video. I will be teaching the ECS courses next school year 2016-2017; however I am using all the new skills and knowledge that I am getting by working through these on-line courses. I really believe in the growth mindset theory. In my current classes, I encourage my students to learn something new everyday. I encourage them to be open-mined and for them to do their very best on each an every assignment. I celebrate their successes and encourage them to try again.

Where do you already implement growth mindset in your classroom?

I stress that often getting to where you want to go on an assignment or in life, the learner will experience impediment, either personal or related to the topic and that in most cases strategies can be found to create a ā€˜workaroundā€™ to these impedimentā€¦ so I will often say ā€˜Keep on plugging away until you get to where yo want to go or run out of time doing it!ā€™

How can you add extra focus on growth mindset during a unit focused on problem solving?

Well, each step in the problem solving process is important. However, the final reflection step can help to illuminate other options that can be taken in the first three if the process need to be repeated in order to solve the problem at hand.

I think it is important to have a growth mindset of your own before you can help your students have one. One way I am helping them is by creating a safe environment where they can ask and respond without fear of anything. Iā€™ve seen their thoughts grow and some minds changed.

Can you explain a bit more about the ā€˜project plannersā€™? Iā€™d like to know if you use a rubric and the students journal their process with the rubric as a guide, or do you have a planner structure that you follow. I teach elementary.
Thanks and advance!