'15 -'16 Lesson 2 - Sending Binary Messages

My Students really enjoyed the creativity of this lesson. I powerpointed all of the prompts in the beginning for my visual learners. They were really focused when defining information. I actually began this lesson with the innovation video from Lesson 1. Students were impressed because some of their innovations centered around fashion and being aware of what we eat(both ideas were presented in the video). I purchased a lot of dollar store stuff and combined that with math manipulative, paper, and tape and students dived right in. We swapped inventions and tested them. I used the extension questions when students were swapping and prompted students to leave positive feedback on the activity sheet about the inventions. Lastly, we presented our inventions and discussed a few more questions. We also tied in the interactivity of the cell phone and how it has progressed through the years. One group already started thinking about Lesson 3 with multiple responses with their device.

After reviewing lessons 2-5 I realize that there is more material included in the lesson plan than we probably have time for. I will need to be aware of the time frame that I have set up and make sure that if I cut any of the activities short that I still cover the big ideas. I agree with several of the other responses that I would like to have posters of the 7 big ideas around the room, but I donā€™t know how I will do this yet because I have very limited wall space.

I agree with some posts I see above that the lessons are very good about having more material than you will probably need in a lesson and that is great it gives us some pick and chose. I think that the pacing seems good with the lessons and your not going to lose very many students. Which I really like.

I like that this chunk starts with an unplugged lesson. It seems like an non intimidating way to introduce this topic. I also like that it requires students ti analyze the binary way of sending messages. Students also need to apply creative solutions when given new constraints. It seems to weave some of the other big ideas.

This looks like a really great hands on opening activity for the binary series of lessons. I really like that the curriculm seems to start with hands-on activities which easily hook the students.

In the past, I have used the light switches in the classroom to represent binary numbers. There are three switches. It is easy to demonstrate that each switch has two states, either on or off. Since there is more than one switch, I ask my students to determine the total number of combinations that are possible with three switches. Some will immediately grasp that the combinations is N to the power of 2 with N being equal to the number of switches. When I have the students examine data, they can quickly understand the 32 to the second power is a VERY LARGE number indeed.

This was one of my favorite lessons in the summer workshop. I like how the students had to think of something with the materials provided. It really made us think of things creatively, I hope it does the same for the students.

I love this lesson idea! I think this block does a great job of starting with concrete ideas and building to abstract concepts. I will have to get extra materials to do the message sending portion, but a trip to the dollar store should handle it!

This series of lessons are engaging and informative. I am looking forward to presenting and working with the students. I even learned something in previewing the lessons. Some of the information has been taken for granted after you use it a while and it is always good to revisit. I am so glad to be able to be a part of the presenting of the lessons, I will probably use them as written and explore more with the students.

I like how the lessons scaffold the concept from the very simple to more and more complex, and most importantly finish with how a real-world system works. Thatā€™s really important for me as I have a hard time expecting students to understand a concept without being able to see how it really works.

Lesson 2 introduces students to binary messages, but not in the abstract, it is a physical creation of their construction with protocols for sending the two states. I find this an ingenious way of teaching binary. This lesson as Lesson 1 are well-planned with student engagement, teaching tips, resources, and rubrics. The student interaction or engagement will lead to a better or clearer understanding as the lessons scaffold to sending bits in the real world.

What a great way to introduce the ā€œatom of informationā€ā€¦this will be a good ā€˜anchor lessonā€™ to refer back to as the course moves along.

1 Like

I feel good about the chunk of content found in Lessons 2-5. I start school next week, so currently I am trying to create the Keynote presentations that will accompany these 5 lessons. My hunch is that most will be itching to start programming, but the lessons serve as a strong foundation. I like the Extended Learning ideas, and will present those to the students who are interested in moving faster.

Since this is our first time with the curriculum we will be following it as written. It is a good lesson and works with problem solving skills as a team in a fun way. I remember doing this in training and we had a good time and learned.

After reviewing Lessons 2-5, I understood the importance of introducing binary at itā€™s most simple form. The lessons increase in difficulty and give students a foundation that will help them understand binary better.

For the sending binary messages, I will modify my supply list to include items such as beads and try to reduce most of the noise makers, only because from past experience I will get a note that my students are too noisy. To increase their understanding of the term, I will have them look up the prefix and provide their own explanation for it. I think doing this activity will reinforce their understanding of the activity.

For this lesson, I will include a lot more choices in the Maker box for students. For this lesson and all of the futures ones, I will be following the lesson as written and watching all the videos. I like to make my own outlines for each lesson so that it is easier when I am actually teaching the lesson.

After review lesson 2 - 5 and looking ahead, I am planning on using the lessons and materials and following the suggested format for the first few months at least. Iā€™m not sure of timing issues as I have 43 minute classes. Glad it is a pilot year.

Do any of you teach CS Principles in a multi-subject classroom? I am teaching 3 courses in one and could really use the link to the teacherā€™s videos. Also, I need suggestions about how to keep the students on track because of the necessity of spliting my time among the students in the 3 subject areas.

I started this lesson today and one problem my students had was understanding exactly what they were supposed to create (not sure if my end or their end). After a little discussion, they finally got the idea. I can see how the connection is made thru the units where you start with one bit, then multiple bits, then creating protocols and using the studio, and then expanding to the real world. I plan on pretty much following the lesson plans and taking notes on what works and doesnā€™t work for the next year withing my environment.

1 Like