'15-'16 Number Systems in the Real World

Can’t wait to implement these lessons in class. I find the Activity Guides very useful.

We just finished this activity today. The students were very engaged and discussion of different number systems continued after the bell. I wanted to have a group wrap up at the end of class, but they were so engaged I didn’t want to disrupt their discussions.

1 Like

Students liked this activity and learned a little about the different options out there. The activity guide provided good structure for the activity as well. I think I am struggling with orchestrating whole-class conversations that are WAY more open ended and more about ideas rather than strategies. In math, I feel comfortable structuring conversations around strategies for solving problems, but talking about ideas and opinions is more challenging for me to do in a meaningful way with students. In math there is a “5 practices” book about orchestrating classroom conversations. Is there an equivalent book for maybe social studies or teaching in general that would help me think about how to structure these conversations? I think the questions suggested were good ones, but it seemed like our conversation did not have enough “meat” to work with.

I am going to teach this lesson more or less exactly as it’s presented to me. I am really intrigued by the 2038 problem.