'16-'17 General Discussion for Lesson 1.4

Use this thread to discuss your questions and comments about how to run the lesson.

This continues to be one of my favorite lessons to teach! Just some things to note:

• While I did not know this going into the lesson, quite a few of my students already knew binary (and how to change based of number systems). However, I learned that if I forced them to write a protocol using the shapes, they really had a difficult time translating their knowledge into this world of “Circle, triangle, squares”. It kept them busy (and appropriately frustrated) while others were still sorting it out themselves.

• I combined this with lesson 5 in one hour. It didn’t feel too rushed to me or my students. I did assign the lesson 5 worksheet as homework though so we will see what questions students come back with.

• In lesson 1.5, I used the provided slides. Students really liked the “circle/square” to “0/1” animation.

2 Likes

As a response to sharing the protocol for the number system, any ideas or misconceptions my student might have when teaching the Number Systems Lesson -

I might share the following pattern for the number system with some guiding questions as I start the pattern as a demo – start with dividing your paper into three columns.

In column 1 and the top row/chunk, place the triangle on top, square and then circle vertically (same pattern three times) in the top, and the middle row/chunk, place the triangle on top, square and then circle vertically (same pattern three times) in the middle and then in the bottom row/chunk, place the triangle on top, square and then circle vertically (same pattern three times).

In column 2 and the top row/chunk, place nine triangles vertically in the top, and the middle row/chunk, place nine squares vertically in the middle and then in the bottom row/chunk, place nine circles vertically.

In column 3 and the top row/chunk, place three triangles vertically, then three squares vertically, then three circles vertically in the top section, and the middle row/chunk, place three triangles vertically, then three squares vertically, then three circles vertically in the middle section and then in the bottom row/chunk, place three triangles vertically, then three squares vertically, then three circles vertically.

Some misconceptions my students might have with this activity would be that they wouldn’t be sure how to organize their patterns without all 27 shapes for each item. They may not realize that you only need to have some of the shapes to make the pattern and be able to carry it out.

Because I am not teaching this course until the 2nd Semester (which starts on 1/24/17) I am now really going through the lessons as I should be and will be again just so I can stay ahead of my students.

Anyway - as I am on this page: https://studio.code.org/s/csp1-support/stage/4/puzzle/7
and try to click on Click here to Access Number Systems Activity link - it is a dead link. I apologize if someone pointed this out already.

Just thought I would let you know and I will respond to the forum as I look over this a little bit more

1 Like

thanks for catching, @melanie_kalmar! i will get this fixed and you should see it update soon. in the meantime, you can access the document directly, here.

1 Like

This lesson always has me laughing by the end. The teaching tips & trick video helped to grasp the ideas in the lesson. With my students, we find it easier to start creating the system on the white board together. Then after they get the concept, I set them loose with the shapes. The first team to get all the combinations win a candy bar or soda. We are so competitive! LOL

I find that this lesson may not take the entire hour to complete so we just move on to Lesson 5 and introduce the binary system.

1 Like

I also found that this lesson did not take all of the period and started connecting it to lesson 5. I really like the idea of making this a competition. This year I focused mainly on the idea that the actual symbol doesn’t matter as long as we have an agreed understanding of the meaning and arrangement of the symbols.

Hi Melanie! One of my AP CSP sections is also a 2nd-semester class, double-blocked. We started on January 4th. (My other AP CSP class is year-long with 50-minute period.)

Hi Anne,

How is that class working out for you? We start next week so it should be interesting and always a learning curve.

Hi Melanie,

It has started pretty well. Thanks for asking. I had most of the students last year in ECS, so that helps. We’re near the end of Unit 1. I introduced the Practice PT yesterday. I’ve done formative assessments (mostly orally) so far - checking concepts that are highlighted in Code Studio, for example. I gave a short written quiz for Chapter 1. I’ll give a Chapter 2 written assessment soon.
I agree re: learning curve. Double-block format is not the same as having a totally new prep, but I’m learning how much to cover in one 85-minute day, and how often to change up the type of activity. The Code Studio unplugged activities are great for getting students up and moving! They also respond well to the collaboration of the Internet Simulator Chapter 2 activities.
Let me know how yours is going!

I saw this yesterday on the BBC - I think it could be a good supplement for the lesson. Maybe it could morph into a debate about which number system is best? https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/is-there-a-better-way-to-count-12s-anyone/p06mdfkn

4 Likes