'15-'16 Practice PT-- Encode an Experince

This has been a challenging assignment for it contains complex ideas expressed in a form a a Relational Data Base Model (RDBM). This is a very important concept used in many industries, including business, finance, military, etc. This is a very powerful tool that provides a good information, and most recently has been used to obtain BI or Business Intelligence. We can see is used very often when we navigate the Internet and we get some messages that are related to our searches. This is profiling. The ISPs know youā€¦But in general this simple model could help to understand how a relational model works and how the data collected can be used for data mining. I used a simplified data model used by MS Access, but any other model can fit easily. Data Base management, is a complex subject, even for people who are practitioners, I will be concerned how to present this material to my students, and more important, how many did understand it. Many of you have shared your very valid concerns.

Please, find below the screen shot of the Relational Data Base Diagram sometimes called ERD for Entity Relationship Diagram.Good luck.

JJ

I used the model for a school system to depict abstraction. The school system is broken down to school details and people. The school details can include name, address, phone, email. The people section will include instructional and non instructional people. Both these subsections will have name, number of years of service as common components. The non instructional subsection will include job description and building #. The instructional subsection will include subject taught, number of students in each class.
I know that some subsections can be broken down further to include details but this system looks like a decent system for abstraction.

I chose a mini quadcopter. Breaking the quad into different parts and simplifying things down to binary made me realize how complex the project can be. This assignment will prepare the students well for the AP course and allow them to think deeply about the assignment.

I used matrices for encryption and decryption. I see Algebra 2 could be used in this lesson. This is a great opportunities to blend Math and Computer Science and make it fun.

I decided to encode a workout. Here is my table. I made 2 subtables as well.

A Workout
Component Encoding Copies # of bits Description
Activity Ascii 1 810 Type of activity
Distance number 1 5 Distance of workout in miles, with a max of 30 miles
Duration number 1 6 Length of workout in minutes, with a max of 60 minutes
Location Ascii 1 8
10 Name of place where you worked out
Weather Ascii 1 810 Description of the weather
Health Ascii 1 8
10 Evaluation of your health before you started

Name Ascii 1 8*10 Name of park
Longitude Number 1 1 + 2 + 7 1 bit for +/-, 2 bits for NSEW, 7 bits for 0-90 number
Latitude Number 1 10 1 bit for +/-, 2 bits for NSEW, 7 bits for 0-90 number

Weather
Temperature, in F. number 1 8 1 bit for +/1, 7 bits for 0-120 degrees

this is a tricky lesson! I am hoping that I understand correctly the level of complexity which is expected. I hope I can find a few examples to show my class before I have to teach this.
Will we be getting any feedback on our sample submissions?

I suspect a real Performance Task artifact would be a little more complex, but hopefully Iā€™m headed in the right direction here. For inspiration, I turned to my left and saw my sock drawer. As such, Iā€™ve written a little encoding for items in a drawer of clothing. You should be able to encode a great many things with this. I hope my pseudo-table format pasted below is understandable.

Item: A drawer
Component: number_of_contents: an 8 bit number
Component: clothes_items: a number_of_contents of 144 bit clothes_items

Item: clothes_item
Component: name: 8 ASCII characters (64 bits)
Component: color: 8 ASCII characters (64 bits)
Component: size: 2 ASCII characters (16 bits)

I choose photographic images because I would like to analyze my images to make them better. I could encode camera settings like speed, aperture, iso, and distance fairly easily as numbers, but I also wanted to encode composition-like things (rule of thirds, color histograms, exposure). It was more difficult to come up with an encoding scheme given the time frame. I will continue to think about how to encode these because I would like to analyze my favorite images and look for patterns.

It has been interesting to see how well some of my students have grasped the concepts in the previous lessons and the amazing artifacts they have produced. However, the majority of my students struggle in accomplishing the tasks such that they truly understand what the lesson was getting at (as did I at the PD).

I think that selecting an adequate subject will be key to their success. The some subjects will require more creativity for the students to determine how to encode the components.

I think for some students, picking a topic will be difficult, as they wonā€™t feel confident enough in their understanding of abstraction and encoding. For others, theyā€™ll want more hand-holding than Iā€™m willing to give on this. I do think, though, that there will be a handful of kids who get overwhelmed by ā€œIs my encoding missing anything?ā€ and try to encode everything.

Iā€™m not sure if I did mine correctly, but I created a system for sorting Lego pieces. It was good to see some examples hereā€¦and look forward to seeing more! (as well as what my students come up with).

Hello everyone and happy start to the long weekend!

I wanted to make sure that we responded to your requests to see and example of this project as soon as possible so I took some time today to construct an example of how I might structure a response to this project. Click this link to check out my attempt at encoding a bicycle race. Note I have not yet added my reflection responses but you can look forward to those being posted as well. If people want more examples Iā€™d be happy to help in that way, just let me know. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yEhP1AX-KvawHhXMOtlR4lmHeoRjhXlgA6GQyOQolbk/edit?usp=sharing

The main thing I want to highlight here is how to use the tables. The original version of this project (which I ran in my class) was much more free-form and so students did not have guidance on how to construct their encodings. The tables and their relationships (as indicated with color) are hopefully helpful in terms of creating a visual representation of levels of abstraction. Ideally students will feel excited to choose something theyā€™re personally interested in, and the structure of the project will help them organize their ideas.

In any event keep your questions and comments coming and weā€™ll be eager to respond.

Cheers!
GT

1 Like

This is the challenging part for me as well. I reviewed the example provided, but still have a hard time starting. I am grateful to those of you that have posted your projects. I have been thinking about encoding a list of my favorite flowers, but will see how it goes. I also would love to be able to collaborate during one of the PDs to ensure that I totally understand the expectations of this assignment, prior to asking my students to complete it.

I am excited for this lesson. Itā€™s seems more to be at the AP thinking level. I know my students will struggle with this but they have had some prep with the number system creation in lesson 6. I am glad I took a extra time and let them struggle.

I feel overwhelmed as well with this lesson, but I did get started with the Chrysler Building as my topic and as far as choosing my sub-components. I do feel that by the time I teach this lesson, I will have more confidence in myself. Finding others having the same qualms as I made me feel totally better. This forum will be a lifesaver as classes begin next week.

I agree that the lesson could be overwhelming to some students. Thank you to all who posted examples. I also struggled to come up with a suitable topic. Finally settled on parts to construct a simple vehicle. Given more thought and a review of these posts I believe that I would choose something less complex.

I choose Civil War battles (maybe a little too much Ken Burns). My plan is to arrange the encoding so that the field sequence describing a major battle could be used to describe various engagements occurring in a battle. So the 20th Maineā€™s Defense would be one engagement in the Battle for Little Round Top in the Longstreet Assault in the Second Day in the Battle of Gettysburg. For example the encoding of the unit(s) involved would contain data indicating the unitā€™s organizational level; army, corp, division, brigade, regiment, company, platoon. The set of fields with which you would encode a platoon would have the same structure as that which would encode an army. Encoding the level, of which there are 7, would require 3 bits.

I chose to encode my Closet. Components of my closet include counters for how many items are in my closet, an isAMatch function which tells whether different pairs of clothes and shoes match each other or not, and also a lastWorn functions that tracks when you last wore an item (for those days when you wake up and honestly canā€™t remember what you wore yesterday), Sub-encodings of my closet include articles of clothing, shoes, and accessories. Components of each article of clothing are type, color, fabric, and season for wearing. Components of each shoe are color, type of shoe (sandal, heel, boot, flat, athletic, etc.). Components of each accessory include type (hat, scarf, necklace, earrings, etc.), color, material.

Question: How are people going to present this project to students? I know I had to really read through the instructions a few times before I was totally clear on what was expected of me, so I donā€™t really think it will be a good idea just to hand them the project description as it is. Is there an idea for making it simpler?

I kept to the hour but I had a hard time wrapping my head around the project. I feel that if I had specifically worked through absolutely every lesson as a student in class with my peers working with me on projects and activities I would be much more comfortable with this project. I didnā€™t finish because I spent most my time trying to figure out what heck I was doing.

Now that I have tried it more: My main problem with this project is when I look at the Forum some folks have tables made but not sure if those were provided and I just cannot see them. The directions above the box where we entered our work says ā€˜Youā€™ll have space on the next page to share your final projectā€™. Well Iā€™ve clicked submit and there was no next page. This particular stage sucked and I hope that my students have a better grasp because of already going through each stage intensely otherwise I worry about their confidence and engagement in the rest of the course. As someone stated earlier I think it would have been a good lesson for the code.org staff to cover on the last day of training and give us an overview of the project and a chance to work with a partner or group and try to figure this out.