4-person 4x4 handouts

I made up a couple of 4-person battleship handouts with 4x4 grids. my classroom already had natural divisions of 4 (instead of the recommended 3) so I made some adjustments. sharing is caring. :wink:

Except I can’t upload attachments because I R 2 NEW. 糟糕!

–rus.

Sorry, new users cannot upload attachments. I’ll try again next year.

Linking for Rus
Here’s the activity guide and the game board.

I’m not totally sure why the original suggests 3 rather than 4 players (and a 3x3 playing board)…maybe to introduce the idea of possible errors in the sent message?

My guess for 3 players is it’s the minimum number of people required to introduce the chaos and “traffic” needed to cause ambiguity in the online activity. 4 players might be needlessly messy, but still doable. The original game board actually accommodates 4 players (presumably the designers anticipated not all classrooms would nicely divide into 3), as you keep track of your 3 opponents at the top and fill out your own game board on the bottom ones for the 3 separate games you’re playing.

I think the 3x3 grid is also just to keep the games quick and simple, as the focus is just to generate traffic, not really to have a fulfilling and challenging game of Battleship. :grinning:

Groups of 4 and grids of 4 naturally map to 2 bits… as the exemplar in the lesson illustrates (2 bits for sender, 2 bits for receiver, 2 bits for column, 2 bits for row). Also, and more importantly to me, my classroom is set up to easily break out in groups of 2, 4, 8, or 16. Powers of 2 baby! :smiley:

My students sit in groups of 4 too, so we play the game against 3 others. The number of bits is the same for 3 or 4 players IF one of the players is designated player 0. My guess about the groups of 3 is that that would avoid one person being player 0!