Classroom culture reflection

Reflect on the classroom culture you would like to promote in your classroom. Describe it and then reflect on some barriers you anticipate running into.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://studio.code.org/s/sciencePD-iZone/stage/8/puzzle/4

I found this point to be true because I am using Scratch in another class and the students are working at different levels and need me if they get stuck, We try to work out the solutions together. I am not the expert, but I am able to help us figure it out together.

I really like this idea. It took me a while to realize that I didn’t need to be an expert on every topic I taught. Instead, I needed to know how to access the information and guide students.

I like the fact that I will be learning at the same time as my students. As long as I know where to get the help when needed I will be fine. It also shows the students that you are human.

I would like to encourage more self-learning and the general promotion of being a life-long learner. If I can give them tools to help with questioning, and seeking new answers - such as this modeling curriculum, I believe it will help give me the experience I need to achieve this more often throughout the year.
Barriers can be 1) time, 2) the know-how to integrate this within the established required curriculum, 3) easy access to fully working PCs at all times.

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

It would be great if students supported each other when they got stuck with the task. Since I am not an expert, more like a learner, it would be great if the entire classroom culture was one that was supportive. Perhaps a barrier would be that none of the students understand a task while I am also stuck. That is where knowing the resources available to us is crucial.

I plan on implementing a specific format for portfolios, including a forum or comments section.

The classroom culture I would like to promote in my classroom is that everyone in the room is a learner. I would post the 6 ways to get unstuck and leave one computer for Googling!!!

1 Like

I really liked the idea of not having to be the expert in all areas of coding, but rather a coach of the classroom learning. I’ve encountered this already when teaching coding in Robotics. Some students do become impatient when you don’t have an immediate answer for their problem, but the value of the learning when they figure out the solution outweighs the initial impatience.

1 Like

I definitely agree with her statement “Don’t be a sage on the stage, be a guide on the side.” That is the philosophy I am working towards, although I do find it quite difficult. It can be hard for me to give up control. One barrier is that students are mostly used to their teachers teaching them everything, rather than them learning how to get “unstuck” on their own. It’s challenging to teach them how to solve their own problems effectively, rather than go to the teacher. I also come across the issue of students getting off topic when given the freedom to ask each other questions when they’re stuck. I know when I was a kid working in a group I would often get off task as soon as the teacher was no longer near me. What do other teachers do to keep their students motivated to stay on task the whole time?

I would like to create a classroom culture where I am seen as a coach or guide not an expert. Students will also know that they can, “teach the teacher.” In addition, students will understand that it is ok to make mistakes (mistakes are welcomed) and are challenged to explore and be persistent. Further, “Cooperate Learning,” and mutual respect for each other, as well as holding each other accountable will be very important components of our classroom culture. However, some barriers that I expect to encounter are availability of enough workable computers, software and reliable internet (at home and school), and getting students to buy into the idea of student teaching teacher; this is because students see teachers as experts and tend to look to teachers for answers instead of looking inward (me) or to each other.

I agree with your statement that students tend to look to teachers for answers. I found this to be a significant barrier because when I try to get some students to answer questions or solve problems by themselves or work with a peer to get the answer, they tend to think I am not teaching them. “Why should I try to figure it out myself when I am already having difficulty?” “Why should I ask my classmate, you are the expert,” These are the usual responses. However, we must do our best to wean students off this dependency on teachers and help them to recognized that they are all experts

I would like to foster a sense of independence and curiosity in my classroom. I want students to both question what I am teaching and have the courage to answer the questions of their peers. I think in the self-contained setting this is particularly difficult - a lot of time students give up the struggle before things even get to a particularly tough point. I’ve had students refuse to participate (i.e. fail to complete an assignment) rather than struggle or ask for help without trying on their own first.

I would like to promote a culture in the classroom where students can learn from each other. When they get stuck they can go to a classmate and help generate ideas.