Computer Science in Science PD: Computational Thinking And The Framework For K-12 Science Education - Discussion

When I think about the role of Computer Science in the Science classroom I am left thinking about the future. I believe that Computer Science will take an increasingly larger role in schools and in education. Because of this I think Computer Science integration in the classroom is key to 21st century education and I am excited to assist my students in getting ahead of the curve since it is not yet a mandatory part of the curriculum.

From a professional standpoint I believe that every new tool I can add to my toolbox as an educator will hold a high level of value to growing as an educator. Computer Science being incorporated into the classroom will be a great addition.

My goal as a teacher is to help my students build the thinking and problem-solving skills as well as the background knowledge that they will need to be successful productive adults. Even if my kids never master coding taking the time to try will help them build the problem-solving skills that they will need for any test. in life there’s not always a right and wrong answer although we try to act like there is.

I agree 100%.Helping our students become lifelong learners should be every teacher’s goal. if we teach them how to learn they will never stop. “ If you give a hungry man a fish he will eat for a day, but if you teach him to fish he will eat for a lifetime.”

As a science teacher I aspire to be effective and give students the best tools for them to be successful. Computer modeling does both. It will allow me to be more effective and it will be tools that students will use need to know about in their after school lives.

I want my students to become adults that use science to improve their lives and better the world around them.

I have been a science teacher afraid to do labs int the class because of the mess based on what the book wanted to use on a carpeted surface. In computer science, I can finally become the science teacher I want to be where there are lots of labs and experiments and no mess! Not only that, but students can try different variables and I don’t have to worry about replacement costs of materials or having enough left for my other classes! I can finally be the science teacher I have always wanted to be giving my students freedom like they have never had before of doing experiments over as many times as they want with real results to document.

I really want to teach my kids how to be scientists. How to look at a situation, analyze it, and apply that information to something different. I can see using computer science to help model simulations that will foster and promote that style of thinking from my students and teaching from me.

I came to teaching as a career later in life, after graduating from college at 41, the same week my oldest child graduated from high school. My goal in choosing to teach middle school was to hopefully reverse the trend of more than 80% of 8th graders who have turned away from math and science careers. Often science in elementary school is set aside for more math and language arts time in order to get students better prepared for state testing. My district has a large population of English language learners, so the emphasis on getting them prepared has often caused science to be neglected. I want my students to leave at the end of the year thinking “wow, science can be really cool and it’s not all wearing a lab coat and working in a lab.” I discuss the myriad of jobs that they could work in, exploring many of the more interesting jobs that might take them around the globe. Most students do not have any idea of the vast number of jobs they could chose to pursue. I have students who, as 12 and 13 year olds, have never been to a zoo or have seen the ocean in person, despite the fact that we are located only 40 miles from the pacific ocean! Their world is so small and they have not learned to think outside of it. I try to expose them to some of the environmental issues that are in need of solving around the world so they understand what needs fixing. I show them documentaries of students in other countries, so they see that a free education is to be valued. I want to open doors for them and help them improve their lives and the world around them.
I think using the modeling and simulation in my class will only increase their amazement in the areas where science is necessary. I think it will astound and amaze them what they are capable of doing.

I concur. Curiosity is key. Once we have student’s curiosity we can “catch them” and utilize this computer coding/modeling program to enhance their natural love for technology. I look forward to creating a class of inquisitive learners who aren’t afraid of making mistakes while learning through active engagement in science.

I want to encourage all students to become life-long learners. My classroom would be an open environment in which all students would feel safe to investigate new ideas and would learn the failure is a necessary component to the learning process.

I am fairly new to teaching science, but am aspiring to give students an opportunity at learning skills that they will need for their future. I know that their world of work will be much different from my own and we might not even know what it looks like for them in 6+ years. I believe that these are vital skills for them, so I am willing to do my part to bring it to them. I am a life long learner and this is my learning path to figure this out to put it in the hands of my students.I believe old dogs can learn new tricks!

I think that students will benefit from learning concepts this way. There is not enough time to teach this way though. I could see one concept could take weeks for students to complete. I am curious to see how this will work out in a classroom.

20 years ago I taught students how to use a computer. Nowadays students are using computers to teach them scientific concepts. I think it is great. I just hope there is enough time in the school year to teach them this and all the science concepts that students are expected to understand.

I aspire to be a lifelong learner for my students. Evolution is necessary. Above all else, my students will complete a year of study with me and remember to “enjoy the process”. I encourage critical thinking and foster independent ideas with interdependent implementation. The culture in my STEAM class will continue to offer opportunity for all with respect for individuality and appreciation for differences. I motivate and support all students with a special focus on females in the areas of science and math. I continue to strive to make concepts meaningful and useful to my students. I am looking forward to the official implementation of the “A” in STEAM this school year.

I agree with both comments that to think like a scientist is to be a problem solver. Most students will not become scientists in their profession, but all students need to think scientifically: to solve problems effectively. Computer Science modeling and simulation gives students real world tools and scenarios to allow students to begin to manage real world problems. We know as teachers, that if students can form effective questions and take steps to solving problems, they are learning and thinking scientifically.

I strive to be a trail blazer as a science educator. Integrating computational thinking into my classrooms will help solidify this aspiration.

While I am not a Science teacher, I do work with the Science teachers at my school. I aspire to help them integrate CS in their Science curriculum without them saying “Wow, something else to squeeze into my already packed curriculum. I have to get my test scores up.” I hope to show the teachers that they can do both by using CS through modeling and simulations.

As a middle school teacher I want my kids to take away a few things from my class. One that science is cool and a very interesting subject. It definitely shouldn’t be feared even if you struggle with it. Two, try to remember a few things along the way and learn to think creatively and outside the box. Third, learn to work with other people adults and fellow students. I think all of these can in some way have more of an impact with computer science interwoven with their current curriculum.

Being a science teacher is I believe, easier than teaching something like english. Its not that the content is easier but humans are hard wired to ask questions and solve stuff. Thats really all that science is about. Why is this thing happening that we are learning about? What would happen if this thing that we are studying did not happen and do I have any questions about this topic? My job is to help the students step into these questions and generate others that are beyond even what I could come up with. When the problem is built using code then I imagine the outcomes could be endless and directed solely by the scientists asking the questions that develop the code. I am just thinking of the endless ways in which computational science could unfold in a classroom.

I agree, as a middle school science teacher my goal is to expose students to different types of science and thinking. All students are interested in different things.