Reflect on your identity as a science teacher

Reflect on your identity as a Science teacher, what do you aspire to? Then reflect on how learning to integrate Computer Science in Science through modeling and simulation relates to your professional goals, and identity?
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://studio.code.org/s/sciencePD-iZone/stage/9/puzzle/4

As a science teacher, I have already participating in a Scratch program and been part of a study called Cyber-learning.I am fortunate to have the use of 18 iPads in my classroom I am always interested in extending my knowledge using forward thinking. I realize the importance of technology in teaching.

I agree. Technology plays an important role in the future of our students. Every minute the technology is getting more advanced. If we do not teach students to be comfortable with technology now they will continue to struggle in life.

I aspire to leave a lasting impression on students about enjoying science, taking care of our environment and making science real and part of everyday life. Bringing in a new way to connect to and solve . real problems via computer modeling should accomplish much of my goals. The ‘realness factor’ of functional real-time modeling should help many students make a pertinent connection to science.

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

testing testing testing

As a science teacher I aspire to having my students become critical thinkers and to question everything. Integrating Computer Science into my curriculum will give me another tool for my students to use to answer their questions and to be successful in the future.

As a technology teacher, I want my students to think about everything they are doing on the internet, and to think about topics such as validity, bias and citizenship. As a robotics teacher, I love the idea of plan - design - test - evaluate - redesign. Modeling and simulation offer my students the same ideas.

As a Science teacher I have always been interested in using technology in the science classroom. In the past as a substitute teacher I discovered how engaged students were as they used computers. As a new science teacher I introduced technology in the science classroom using computer games and videos to help students’ understanding of difficult concepts. I discovered this to be a tremendous success in students’ engagement as well as improvement in summative assessments. I also discovered websites that would allow students to conduct simulation labs and work with models. This blending of technology in science curriculum created a desire in me to learn how to create computer models and simulations so I could use this as another tool in my science tool box. However, the blended program has added to my professional goals the desire to give students the ability to explore computational science by creating their own computer models and simulations to use in the science classroom. This possibility is exiting to me.

1 Like

I agree with you that technology is important in teaching today. The generation of students today are exposed to, and love using technology on a regular basis. It is therefore important that we capitalize on this opportunity to engage students by blending technology in the science curriculum in a meaningful way. This will enhance academic success and help prepare our students for high school, college and the jobs of the future.

As a science teacher, I want to inspire my students to be curious and analytical about the world around them. I want them to ask questions, and have the tools they need to try to answer those questions on their own. I also want to prepare them for practical use of science in the real world, whether it be further education, their careers, or simply the basic scientific inquiry we do when confronted with problems or questions. Learning to integrate computer science in science fits perfectly with my professional goals and identity. It gives students yet another way in which they can ask and answer their own questions. It also helps prepare them for further education in science, or maybe even open their eyes to possible new careers.

I introduced all my students to coding with the Hour of Code last year, and many were intrigued and very successful with the introduction. I would like to carry it further.

Using computer science in the classroom helps me achieve my goals as a teacher by preparing my students for their future. Whether in the workplace or in their continuing education it is important that they have technological skills.

As a science teacher, I aspire to show students that science is relevant to everyone and that everyone can find something that interests them about science, because at essence science is all around us and an integral part of our lives. I think this learning experience is both an opportunity for me to learn about computer science and also provides another venue for my students to find that niche in science that really speaks to them.

In response to jogatti’s post, I think your idea is simple yet accurate. Students today need to be able to do more than simply type fast. Their futures are demanding technological skills and as their teachers we should help students acquire those skills just as we help them learn to read and write.

As a science teacher, I aspire to be an effective factor that will help my students “practice,” instead of “memorize” Science. I am referring to the contrast between the traditional way of learning Science which involves a lot of remembering facts, figures and names. I am excited about the idea that with the help of computers, models and simulations, I can finally veer away from being the all-time provider of information and the go-to person whenever my students encounter problems in the classroom. This is not how the real world works. In the real world, people help each other find solutions to problems through collaboration; learn from constant reflections of mistakes made; and run experiments to test hypotheses, in its various forms. I would like to my student to experience how it is, to solve problems in the real world. I guess this is what it means when we say that they should learn how to “do Science.”

1 Like

I aspire to keep students excited about science. I feel like when they hit middle school their excitement drastically decreases. I can see this in my classroom because I do not have the resources or “stuff” for them to play with/experiment with. My school just won a grant that gives every student an ipad in the classroom. I can’t wait to see how this impacts my science teaching and their learning!

I aspire to make science interesting, to help students gain understanding of content, and to help students practice the real-life thinking skills that will serve them in their education and career. Computational thinking can help with all of the above; the computer programming aspect will grab their attention, the abstraction process will push them to better understand the phenomenon they are modeling, and all parts of the process are used both in science and beyond.

My goal as a science teacher is to show students how science is an integral part of understanding the world around them and using science and engineering practices can help solve complex problems that our world is facing today. I want them ti understand that science is a process and is hands on, not a memorization of numerous different facts. Adding computer science to my curriculum will allow me to continue showing students how science is applied in the real world.