Computer Science in Science PD: Computational Thinking And The Framework For K-12 Science Education - Discussion

As a science teacher, I am always looking for new ways to teach and promote understanding. I imagine that using computers to model and simulate will be another aspect in teaching (and learning)

I would like to see myself as someone who has knowledge in the field that I am teaching, but also someone who is continuing to learn every single day. By having this view of myself, I would like to help foster a love of learning in my students as they see me continuing to learn as well. By incorporating computer science into my science class, it will allow the students to go through the inquiry process and continue to learn new concepts and ideas on a daily basis, as well as learning new things about themselves too.

As a science teach I aspire to become ever more competent in conveying a passion for science to students in the hopes that they will go on to become contributing citizens. Introducing computational science will allow students to have a better understanding of this essential tool in modern day science which allows us to tweak our understanding science in a controlled environment.

As a science teacher, I aspire to educate, to inspire, to learn and encourage students to strive for greatness. Hopefully, my students will develop a passion for science and love learning about the world that exist around them. Integrating Computer Science within the Science classroom will help my students visualize abstract concepts and apply critical thinking skills throughout the process of solving real-world problems.

I aspire to me one that motivates students to be life long learners. CS can help me obtain that by providing students the tools to become investigators, ones that can problem solve on their own!

As a middle school teacher I aspire to light the fire of curiosity and the love of learning science by thinking outside the box. Integrating Computer Science through modeling and simulations with real world situations is just one way my students can learn outside the box, which is very difficult for many because they were raised up in a world of " Follow my directions and do as I say" Therefore, when I give them scenarios which they have to solve by thinking outside of the box, these students have an extremely difficult time. Thus as a final product this process related to my professional goal at the end where I can nurture these students to want more out of their experience,

As a science teacher I aspire to encourage my students to develop their science literacy skills and be real world thinkers.

My goal as a middle school science teacher is to help students recognize how relevant scientific thinking is in making sense of the staggering amount of information available to us in our daily lives. Practicing scientific thinking helps refine our critical thinking skills. In my teaching experience Iā€™ve found that many students are comfortable using computers and willing to use computers as a tool for genuine learning. Through computer modeling and simulation students will be more engaged in challenging learning.

As a middle school teacher, I want my students to love learning about science and be motivated to continue that curiosity into high school. Using CS in my science classes will help my students to apply what they learn to real world problems and they will use these skills in high school.

I am a new Science teacher, as this is only my 2nd year teaching it. I aspire to know the information and feel confident enough to apply it using Computer Science in my classroom. Last year I was focused on the content, and after watching the video I learned that students need to go through three phases of learning: content, practice, and themes. The focus of my teaching last year was on content, because I too, was just learning/remembering the content. I want to get more practice and theme work into my curriculum this year. I have taught Math for my entire career. I feel confident teaching Math since I have mastered the content, and know how to have students apply in in practice using real world problems. This is my goal for Science this year- to have students using Computer Science to model real world Science problems.

Great thought! That should be the goal of all teachers- not to teach their designated content, but to teach for life long learning and real world application!

I am a STEM teacher, so my goals might be different than science teachers. I believe that this is just another way that students can use the computer to learn and use the computer as a tool to understand STEM concepts.

I like that the students will be programming and using modeling and simulation to solve a problem. I think it will be a great tool in understanding a concept or help explaining a concept to others.

As as science teacher, I want to help encourage good critical thinkers and problem solvers. Incorporating CS into my classroom with push them to analyze the results of the models they created.

I aspire to have students leave my classroom with the ability to think as a scientist, ask questions, analyze information and data while applying this to real life situations. Modeling and simulations allow students to go beyond the memorization of ā€œscienceā€ but to experience science and think like a scientists. My classroom has moved beyond the traditional science textbook to a hands-on inquiry based classroom. We have used simulation and computer models in the past. But I am interested to see how I can further use these to strength my students as a scientist.

Before I write the actual assignmentā€“are others finding that none of the docs are accessible? Every time I click on one for the last 3-4 modules I just get an error screen.
I aspire to getting my students to like science, which very few of them do. I know itā€™s not a metric, but I think itā€™s important for motivating students to pursue it further, and on their own. I also want to be able to show my students that science/scientific thinking can be used in the struggle for a more just society. I think modeling (including other than computer modeling) and simulation could be tools for this although it would take some thought to make sure they are. Sometimes we think students are automatically engaged by anything computer related but I donā€™t think thatā€™s strictly true.

I agreeā€“I think love of learning and curiosity are key, more than any specific content knowledge or test capability.

I always strive to keep my students engaged in learning. Computational thinking is a powerful tool to help students engage in real application of data is used in scientific inquiries. I want students to step out of the role of a technology consumer and use technology to produce, inquire and apply to real life scenarios. I hope they can see the power of computing and science has in real world inquiries.

I aspire to have my students become critical thinkers and be able to analyze the world around them. Since students learn more by doing I do believe models simulations and computational thinking will encourage more knowledge and understanding than just a standard lecture could give and thereby helping me to achieve my aspired goal.

I aspire to provide students with the skills to be problem solvers. I believe integration of Computer Science in the Science classroom can expand student learning limited to only their imagination. I can envision student creating hypothetical simulation models of what is impossible in a science classroom possible via computational models.

My aspiration is to provide a solid background in science to my middle schoolers, inspiring them and encouraging them to pursue a career in science. Integrating computer science into my coursework will enable them to use the power of computers to dissect, model and analyze problems, further fanning their flame of curiousity and discovery. In addition, helping them lean and use coding will be a valuable tool and provide them with a competitive edge.