Computer Science in Science PD: Dispositions and Classroom Culture - Discussion

I would like to promote a classroom culture of equal respect, where my students realize that they all have something to add. Even further, I want my students to look to each other for ideas and as sounding boards during projects; to be supportive of each other and provide constructive criticisms and freely share help or advice. I want to be able to explain something to someone and see that student happily share that explanation with another as needed. Most of the barriers I foresee to having this classroom culture stem from the level of maturity of my students. I teach 6th grade, and many times students are not mature enough to provide adequate assistance or constructive criticism to one another. Students this age often donā€™t want to work together, or frequently squabble about silly things. Controlling their emotions is difficult for some, and arguments erupt. Also, social pressure, angst, and anxiety play a huge role in middle school classrooms.

The classroom culture I would like to promote in my classroom would be structured and calm. Students will have the tools to answer their own questions when stuck and the ability to help a friend if needed. They will also know that what we are doing in class is building their problem solving skills and if their code does not work itā€™s okay, because what they need to do is to continue to solve the problem.

Obvious barriers I anticipate are some students who are not use to persisting through problems and having to teach/coach them through the process of sticking with something and seeing their product vision come to pass.

The culture that I would like to promote is one where students work collaboratively with each other and with other people online. Students would be free to talk online to experts in science and coding, as well as other students outside of the classroom. Scientific ideas could be explored and modified as the students see fit. The barriers that I anticipate are:

1. Some students have difficulty with open-ended assignments, and will need scaffolding.
  2. Students may get distracted online, and not complete assignments.
  3. Students will go to sites that they are not supposed to.
  4. A lack of access to computers throughout the school year.
  5. Students will shut down if they make mistakes
  6. Students will not be willing to put in the meticulous work needed to fix errors in coding.

Generally I have found that many students are very reluctant to share ideas with the whole class at the beginning of the year. Once students realize that talking to their peers in small groups and as a whole class is part of the daily routine, they become much more comfortable sharing, and are often eager to finally speak their mind. I assign each member of small groups a jobā€“like facilitatorā€“for each discussion or project. I randomly assign the jobs to different people each time. Also, try to make everyone share somethingā€“if not each day, then every couple of days.

The classroom culture I would like to promote in my classroom would be one that promotes learning from the teacher and peers. Resources available to students would include computers and software that allow students to build, explore, and and reach target goals, online documentation, and online visuals, either videos of simple how-to guides, or big picture concepts. Some barriers that I anticipate running into would be: 1. Frustration for some students in the learning process and/or wanting to be given the answers instead of persevering to find the answer. 2. Having enough equipment or access to computers, computers with software, etc. to teach modeling and simulations 3. Having time to learn so I can teach modeling and simulation style of learning.

I agree with many of the barriers that you have listed. These are things I face in my classroom now.

I liked the idea proposed in the video of the teacher in the role of ā€œguide on the sideā€, but I worry that students wouldnā€™t initially feel comfortable with this shift. Based upon my experience from years teaching, I have learned that students want their teacher to be the ā€œsage on the stageā€ (the one who knows all). But in this time of computers, it is quite likely that the students will know and learn more than their teachers when it comes to technology. If students can support each other along with helping the teacher in this journey of programming, it is a win-win situation for all involved.

I would like to promote a classroom culture of ā€œnothing ventured ā€“ nothing gained.ā€ It fits ā€“ right? I like guiding my students and challenging them to think through challenging situations. We do need to remember, as teachers, that providing students with ā€œbackground knowledgeā€ using examples and small steps helps to decrease student frustrations. When I began having students code as Warm Ups in my class, I made the mistake of trying to give them too much at once. I learned from this mistake and now I give them information through lecture and my own examples, I share with them where I got stuck; I work through examples with them. This works! The barriers are that while some students are eager to take on challenges and immediately take over as the leader others students either out of intimidation or uncertainties just as eagerly take a back seat. Before we start ā€œfacilitatingā€ the guidelines must be made clear so that group member roles are outlined and rotated throughout the group.

One thing we have discussed as a school staff community is the idea of fostering GRIT in our students. That is a part of my classroom culture I would like to increase. Students in the past two generations are so quick to get things that that perseverance or GRIT at the JH level is something that needs fostered more than a lot of other successful student characteristics. Culture of todayā€™s ā€œiā€ generation is the major barrier but also the pressure on succeeding and not letting students fail in their learning and then take ownership of that failure and move ahead from it. Pressure from parents on their student and teachers alike would be a large barrier to having kids go through a failure or struggle in something. The outcome of success or learning from the struggle has to be the ultimate goal.

The biggest shift for me will be going from the innate need to be in control of whatā€™s going on in the class all the time to letting the students have control over their projects.

I promote an atmosphere where the student can explore, work with other students and utilitze ever resources that are available.

I expect that many of my students will pick up coding much faster than others and myself. I will embrace that and allow myself to learn along with the students. I will need to anticipate technical difficulties and be prepared for them, Having another activity prepared for early finishers or as a backup will prevent the classroom chaos that may ensue.

I would like students to collaborate in a positive manner with each other and not be dismissive or negative. Iā€™d like to feel more comfortable not having answers.

I worry about the students staying on task and holding onto control - I love the ideas of them having freedoms, but it makes me a bit nervous to just let them go. I know I need to get past my nerves, and realize that this is the new face of education, especially in science.

thatā€™s a really good idea - especially for my junior high classroom

I most hope to foster a classroom culture of exploration. This is incorporated into every facet of my classroom - even the physical theme! The best thing I can teach my students is how to learn. Then, it wonā€™t matter what content area they are currently studying, they will have the tools they need to study and contribute successfully.
The difficulty in this philosophy is that some students like to volunteer, to move quickly, or just to not participate. Further, there are many students who want to participate but are shy or just not the first student to raise their hand. Balancing these paces and personalities is a high-wire act that grows more possible with practice.
Moreover, many, many students have been taught to sit down and shut up in the classroom, and it can be VERY hard to convince them that it is ok to ask questions, to try and make a mistake, or to help other students.

I love the idea of naming a facilitator in each group, especially at the beginning of the year! Itā€™s also a great idea to have such regular sharing. Then students have so many chances to succeed!

I would like a classroom culture that focuses more on process and less on the actual outcome. However, one of barterers to this is the grades and students whose only motivation is the grade.

It is important for the students to know that it is ok to make mistakes, and that no one is going to get every single aspect the first time. By being open to making mistakes, they will be open to taking risks as well. A specific barrier that I will run into would be that the students are afraid of making mistakes, and will just want the correct answer right away without trying to figure it out on their own or through trial and error and collaboration.

I see my role to help engage interest and then guide to excel.