Computer Science in Science PD: Using Models in the Classroom - Discussion

Development of a question to investigate by students working in collaborative groups is the initial step in classroom-centered modeling. Ownership of the question sparks students to think of solutions and discuss how to approach answering the question through experiment or modeling. Development of the model then becomes the vehicle for solution. Students can then share to the class fountilr feedback and revision and groups can begin a new iteration with changes from group and class discussion. This process can continue until groups agree that they have produced their end product.

Completely agree. I hope it is easier to put this into practice than it seems.

A science classroom that integrates modeling and simulation looks very different then the classrooms of the past. In the past students sit, listen, watch, take notes and hopefully gain some knowldege. In this new classroom, students will be active participants in their own knowledge. They will construct meaningful connections to information because they have brought all the knowledge together and constructed their own. This new classroom is a place where all students are engaged and active. A place where the teacher is a guide and facilitator of learning.

a successful science classroom allows students study aspects they do not understand and apply it to give them an opportunity to understand. The teacher presents an idea and allows the students to make mistakes and learn from those mistakes. Computers could be use to model situations and environments not possible in the classroom.

Multiple methods of investigation to gather evidence make any experiment more complete and reliable.

I envision a successful Science classroom as one where students use scientific inquiry to explore concepts while being able to use computer models and simulations. I see the teacher as a facilitator. I see students utilizing a combination of Inquiry-based and hands-on learning. Hands-on strategies will often be integrated, while inquiry-based learning will include reading material, discussions other students and the teacher. The computer will be used for brainstorming/exploration, research, and presentations.

The ideal situation - one computer per student. Preferably laptops with good processing power and battery power. Next, students will engage in online discussions with other peers in their school and with a “sister school” somewhere else within the country. Students would be given 30 minutes of instruction and have 30 minutes of computer based discussion or modeling to work on. Modeling and simulation would be a week long activity that students would work on when given time or when finished with their work.

A successful science classroom that integrates modeling and simulation is one that starts with background knowledge where the teacher identifies what needs to be learned and then allows the students time to practice on their own. As the students work, the teacher circulates the room and checks for understanding, providing assistance when needed. The students can also work in small groups that encourage the sharing of information in order to further increase their understanding. Computers should be used to apply what they learned, not to look up answers on Google.

I love the idea of having a sister school to communicate with! Even another classroom at the same school could be efficient.

A successful science classroom is a hands-on classroom where students are actively engaged, and learning to the highest level possible. The question of why goes further as solutions are posed as well as additional why questions are asked. The students are pushing each other further and they want to learn more. Students are not only able to pose questions, but they are able to explain their way of thinking to spark others to think outside of the box and come up with further inquiry.

A successful Science classroom that integrates modeling and simulation would probably start with a lesson on the standard that we would like to investigate. We would make sure we have the vocabulary down to be able to describe the environment that we would like to model. Then we would bring out the computers to understand a model that was already built, students would work together to breakdown this model. Then they would begin to modify the model and then create their own models together with other students.

A successful science classroom has the teacher facilitating and guiding students. Students use modeling and simulations when it maybe too expensive, time consuming or dangerous to complete otherwise. Real world issues continue to be worked on by the students through their own designed computer models/simulations. Students begin by using models and advance to creating their own. By creating their own models they will be developing their skills. They will be actively participating in their learning. This student centered classroom has students posing questions and communicating with each other to share ideas and explanations.

I agree with your vision for a successful science classroom. Computers need to be used to create models and simulations. Learning with them needs to go beyond “researching” a topic or event. Working with others to share ideas and explanations is key.

A science classroom that effectively uses computer science would have both the teacher and students working together. The class of students and teacher would use the computers to create models and simulations.

A successful science classroom has students involved in the creation of the investigation. The teacher is there fore guidance.

A science classroom that integrates modelling and simulation will be one in which the students work in groups on hands-on activities by using computers to design and interact with models while the teacher use guiding questions to test their knowledge of the concept.

My definition of a perfect science classroom would be one in which students are creating and collaborating on scientific inquiry together. They are working on real world problems and trying to come up with viable solutions for those problems. Students would be able to create models of their solutions and then run those models using computational science with the computers and see the solutions truly are viable. Science is the subject that I feel students are willing to take the most risks in their learning and to try something new. This would continue with hands on experiments but also in the computer simulations that they create as well.

My idea of a successful science classroom is one in which the students have taken some control over their own learning. Students should be engaged in the learning process and their sense of curiosity would be encouraged. Students would not just ask questions so that a teacher would give them answers, but rather so the teacher could act as a guide to help students find the answers to their questions. Students can use technology and each other to work out their questions. I feel like the teacher is there to help guide them and help them wrap up the information that they have learned. Students need to see the value in what they are learning and feel some sense of control in how they are learning.

My vision of the perfect science classroom is that every student is actively engaged and learning, and the teacher is offering guidance, direction, nuggets of knowledge, ideas, info. The classroom is large so students can spread out with many different types of workspace: standing desk, bean bag chairs, pillow, etc,

In a ideal science classroom students solve problems by analysis and hard work, as opposed to the right
answers jumped into their head. The students are engage in the learning process.