Growth Mindset in ECS Classroom

I implement growth mindset in my classroom all the time. The ECS curriculum is created in such a way that it challenges students to better themselves as students and critical thinkers. Leading students to realize they can apply what they have learned in all their classes. Also, it allow students to make connections between what they are learning in ECS and the Core Classes.

In my classroom I have some growth mindset posters on the walls and always try to highlight when I myself am learning something new. A lot of times I am learning with the students and I will share with them my struggles to learn something new. All my grading is based on mastery so the more effort students put in to grow and fix things the better the outcome.

All assessments in my courses can be re-taken. I explain to the students that we all learn different concepts at different speeds. Some concepts will be easier for us to grasp and some harder, but that the goal is to eventually understand and be able to apply the concept.

Great Job, Sophonia.

I like using the “yet” mindset in the classroom by asking leading questions when students try to give up. We are using newsela.com in order to improve reading skills. I used the students lexile scores as a challenge. Students will begin reading at their current level, stay there for no more than 4 weeks, then move to the next level on the lexile meter. I shared with students some data that showed the lexile range of national newspapers, college applications, instruction manuals, college textbooks, military tests, and national standardized tests in order to show them how important reading is in life beyond high school. Some of the students were shocked. The room was silent during the presentation of the data. Most students showed perseverance as they worked to annotate the article and score a passing grade on the quiz. Several students asked for the quiz to be reset in order to earn a higher score. I could see how they changed their demeanor and slowed down while re-reading and/or skimming the article for answers. They talked to me about the difficulty of the task,and I shared strategies with them. I also praised those who didn’t give up.

Trying is a basic ability that a student with a growth mindset will always embrace. It fosters and environment of positive outcome and critical thinking, all the while allowing thinkers to make analytical connections. The power of YET encourages all students to learn and never give up.

The most significant contribution to implementing a growth mindset with my students is having and modeling my own growth mindset. I focus on using growth mindset language, emphasizing effort and progress over inherent abilities. I think that the extra effort I need to make is a more transparent or visible acknowledgement to the reftrictive frame of reference many of my students have; economics, reputation of the school,/community, etc.

In all my classes, I emphasize the process/skill of finding answers. In Web Design, for example, there are thousands of resources available online, so learning how to find useful information should you have a question throughout the development process is key. Not only does this focus students on their own skills and abilities within the subject, it frees me up from answering “how do I…” type of questions and instead on major errors and technical issues.

In the past, I’ve used mini-activities such as the Spaghetti Marshmallow tower-building game to spur group collaboration and problem solving, but I know I can definitely do more to keep that culture thriving. Because I’ve already started Unit 2 after beginning this online PD phase, I can say that I’ll use more CS Unplugged type of activities as warm-ups, start-of-year icebreakers, and as introductory lessons to bigger projects.

I allow my students to explore with so many different tools. We are currently using MACs, which are different from the Chromebooks, and I am encouraging them to explore the different features and shortcuts. When we were working on our websites, I gave them a very brief overview and let them explore on how to make their websites “cooler” or with better functionality.

To add extra focus on growth mindset, I’m unsure of what I could do differently. I give my kids plenty of space to make mistakes and to learn from them, which is tough. I want to be able to jump in and troubleshoot, but this course isn’t structured that way. My kids have also been doing a great job of being frustrated. They are working through their struggles instead of shutting down. They are used to giving up when things get too hard, but I’ve noticed a huge switch, and it is absolutely refreshing to see.

Recently my students were having conversation about college, their requirements, and computer science. Students began sharing the schools in they wanted to attend. Once student mentioned not being good enough in STEM to go to an Ivy league institution. Apparently this was the fixed-mindset of every student in the classroom. So, I had them share what was their biggest fear in regards to these schools. After the discussion, sharing thoughts, etc. it was simply the brand and not the academics. I spent the entire class building their confidence by visiting the schools websites and comparing their requirements with other schools to show that they had realistic chances to continue their CS aspirations at any school they chose.

I like to get my students interested and involved. A majority of my students never miss class and want to come to class because they are intrigued by what I may throw at them each day. I love how this curriculum is paced, but at times my students need a little more thought provoking. I like to get them thinking about things that relate to them and figuring out how to solve the issue. I relate back to Unit 1 and remind them I don’t give them the answer they figure it out. Some of the students get irritated being reminded of this, but I walk them through how they came up with the answers before and we work out the problem solving process together.

I feel that I am constantly applying a mind set for my students to realize that if they do not achieve success at first that they can. I have one student this semester that is so excited with herself when the “light bulb” goes off. She started out very low and is now progressing at a high level.

I start with things that interest them. Then I tie in the two to start the thinking problem. Next I add interesting things that I think they do not see a relation to and connect them all together. This cause them to take a moment and think, ask questions, and then the ideas begin.

I always challenge my students to find different methods to accomplish the same task. We openly discuss ans share the different methods used and the advantages and disadvantages of each. I also encourage my students to hold back…once they accomplish the requirements then they can choose topics of personal interest to explore (as long as relevant to the course).

My main quote in my class is “Share the wealth”. If some students are struggling, those who are not share and help out.

In order to promote the growth mindset in class, when possible, if a student asks a question, I try to avoid “giving an answer.” Instead, I post follow up questions to get the students to analyze their question/problem and get them to arrive at the answer themselves.

I also promote the idea of taking a problem and breaking it down into a series of smaller problems. Students are then asked to solve the first small problem, move on to the next, then the next, and so on until they have solved the big problem through a series of small solutions.

In my classroom, I use the KWL template to find out what the students know, what they wonder about, and then what they learn after a lesson. I have found that this allows for the students to realize that even if they did not know anything to begin with, that they are able to learn something new. This ability to realize that they are learning helps to change their mind-set about themselves.

Project based learning is the whole concept in my classroom. I encourage students to find their voice. I express from day one that we are a small “family” and will only encourage each other to think beyond the borders that we are comfortable with. I like modeling what I expect from my students. I think cross-curricular and teach in the same manner. I tie things together and also bring historical references to the modern day. I have challenged my students quite often this semester. I have found that this round of students are having a particularly hard time with definitions so I have implemented unit responsibilities on cram.com. They love the flashcards, making their own tests and love love love jewels of wisdom!!!

I already implement growth mindset by allowing my students to fail. I know this seems simple or even silly to do, but most of my students are TERRIFIED of failure, so this is a really critical part of my classroom to have students learn that making mistakes is not only important but necessary. We only learn by trying, and we need to accept that we are always learning if we are always trying. During this unit, I think it’s important to stress that students might struggle with ideas or finding solutions

I think that this unit provides a really great opportunity to expand student’s growth mindset. The problems are challenging but also allow for multiple modes of solving them. In this way students are encouraged to struggle through the problem and learn that solving a problem is not based solely on getting the correct answer but struggling and persevering.

The growth mindset is used everyday in my classroom. I express everyday that they do not have the knowledge yet but will gain it over time. In the problem solving unit i stress that there is not just one right answer or one right way, but several different ways to get to the same conclusion. Some maybe more efficient than others but the end result is usually the same with different paths of getting there. I believe this helps encourage the growth mindset.