Growth Mindset in ECS Classroom

I used the Growth Mindset strategy in the Problem Solving unit by encouraging my to find different ways to find a solution and to try new things. When they run into difficulty, I have them work with their elbow partner to work through the problem. Throughout this process, I continuously praise the students for their problem-solving efforts.

I try and push my students not to accept failure or good enough. I encourage and allow multiple opportunities to gain mastery of concepts. By allowing my students to learn from failure and encourage growth I can assist students in this unit develop a growth mindset.

Implementing growth mindset in the classroom means to open the minds of my students to be introduced to engineering, computer technology, and computer science. I help my students understand code, which to me is a form of art. With code you start from scratch. No pun intended. Therefore, a subject like mathematics, is a subject I recommend my students to practice everyday in order to have a growth mindset when problem solving. It is imperative that a student is patient and focused when problem solving. Assigning my students into groups is where they can share their ideas. Along with websites such as code.org, code academy, and mit.scratch where students express themselves and their ideas.

With my classroom there is not one particular way to solve a problem. The first activity the class did was write direction on how to get to a location within our high school. Each team did a different set of directions because there were several different ways to get to the location. Students were able to see how each person thinks differently. They were also able to see how they could help others. When it came to larger tasks, students learned that there were struggles, but that they could use others to work it out.

I like to stress the relationship between making mistakes and brain growth. I also focus on providing an environment where students feel safe to make mistakes, ask questions, and try new ideas.

In my classroom growth mindset is implemented through questions and discussions encouraging solving problems.

Not only should your students have a growth mindset, but you as an educator. I believe that encouraging by your students and providing opportunities for them to be proud of their work can build their confidence. Students become stuck because they do not want to seem stupid in front of their peers. In my classroom I begin the year by informing students that their are no wrong answers in my classroom. It removes that intimidation that I am looking for the right answer, when I just simply want to see how they are thinking.

As a Computer Science teacher in a high school that had never had CS before, I find that I am always instilling a growth mindset with my students because very few of them have ever engaged in the idea that they could program a computer. I can add extra focus by giving my students code that they have never seen before and see if they can identify the commonalities between what they already know and what they are looking at.

Question: Where do you already implement growth mindset in your classroom? How can you add extra focus on growth mindset during a unit focused on problem solving?

I implement growth mindset by conducting daily routine rigorous learning activities. For example, the daily ten minute warmup (engagement activity) consists of a standardize math question (usually PSAT or PARCC, depending on group) where the students are given 5 minutes to solve the problem followed by five minutes of discussing the solution and best methods of finding/solving. Moreover,

• student are allowed and encouraged to collaborate with any or all of their classmates (during the first five minutes, before the end of, all papers are handed in, placed in a tray)
  • moreover, students are encouraged to use their mobile devices, laptops, and classroom computers to help in their quest to find a solution (within the set amount of time)
  • Students are given a simple grading rubric for their warmups which does not always requires a correct answer but usually does depending on the familiarity of the math problem (if they have been given the same type of problem before,then they are required to write the correct answer on their paper, or if the problem type has been covered in a prerequisite course)

I have observed that the students begin to develop collaboration skills, research skills, and simple math concept skills given the consistent repeated time on-task doing the math (daily). Moreover, the learning activity, which, by the way, actually multitasks as a standardize test prep activity, since the real-world analysis of standardize test scores have a real-impact on overall school academic program assessment–this can not be taken for granted not only as a worthwhile learning activity in itself but a vital contributing tool to an overall successful academic program, serves to enhance individual and group learning skills. The growth mindset is very much a part of the learning process because, as I have observed, students begin become better and better at solving the math problems (most, but unfortunately not all) given the time constraints–which seem add the engaging excitement of a game aspect to the learning activity.
I try to lecture students about the importance of time on task to solve problems. That is, as best I can, if I can get them to listen, I emphasize that I only reason I or anybody else knows how to solve said math problems, is because of the hard work of time-on-task: reading, study, asking informed questions–perseverance.

It is important to make sure each and every one of your students believes they CAN learn anything they want. One of the most important ways we can help them as teachers is to provide daily encouragement. Explain that it’s important not to give up no matter how hard it seems to be. Modeling perseverance and demonstrating that mistakes are part of the learning process.

1 Like

I implement growth mindset practices in my grading policy. I use standards based grading which means that student understanding is recognized and rewarded no matter when they learn the concepts. We also use the word “yet” a lot in my classroom to change fixed mindsets into growth mindsets.

I encourage growth mindset by having them think about possible answers and being able to share them openly with the class, with no definite answer being provided for them. I have to have the growth mindset everyday because they teach me something everyday by trying to do things differently than I have instructed them to do…such as make a process easier/simpler to follow. I welcome those ideas every day!!

I think it is very powerful to have students use the word “yet” as it indicates they are working towards it and open to change.

I encourage my students to think outside the box. If we are having a discussion I try not discourage students thoughts - even when their comment doesn’t take the discussion to the place where the lesson is headed. How can we build their comment into the lesson?

I am always trying to implement this by making students work hard, not letting them give up, and trying to motivate them to enjoy learning and the educational process. I try to point out to them when they are doing well at this, and when they are not, always trying to be positive and never demeaning.

I think a unit on problem solving is an awesome way to put an emphasis on growth mindset. The students should feel that they are in a safe environment and can feel ok making mistakes. They will learn to work through problems to come up with innovative solutions.

Mindset in my classroom has been work in progress, “Not Yet”, but I will continue to change the mindset of my students to ty to remain positive and/or alter their way of expressing negative words, phrases and/or statements without their awareness.

1 Like

I encourage a growth mindset by letting the students know it’s okay to make a mistake because that’s how we learn. Many times those mistakes help others learn, as well. I let the students know that I make mistakes too, and it’s okay. I also encourage my students to try new things and figure out things on their own.

1 Like

I try to encourage students that in learning something new, there is always a learning curve. During those learning curve there will be times in which we make mistakes - but those mistakes provide us with learning opportunities. They either tell us what not to do, or allow us to explore something new.

After the students complete their Journal Activity in the beginning of the class, I might share with my students a brief anecdote from my long history of working in the private sector, or even from my own life experience of people that I’ve known that have achieved great accomplishments resulting from hard work and perseverance. One of my favorite stories is about a childhood friend who had a dream of becoming a physician one day, and through hard work and a relentless work ethic achieved his goal.

I agree that building classroom culture where it is a safe and collaborative classroom, students will be more willing to share what they are thinking and feel safe to make mistakes.