How to design and code a Timer in AppLab?

Thanks. I’m going to check out those links now.

RE: Set-Style

I stumbled upon that “beauty” back in December and it was fun to know you can adjust BOLD and a few other features.

Thanks

Looks really solid and clear. Thanks so much!

I appreciate the time you spent for a solution.

Do you have a tip jar?

Peace

Looking at the code now. Thanks so much! Cool stuff!

There are a handful of “advanced” commands that we’ve been hesitant to put into the default toolbox to avoid overcrowding and confusion. I’m slowly adding documentation for these commands so that they’re a bit more discoverable (eg https://docs.code.org/applab/setStyle/ )

RE: Globe, 5% re positioning…Great stuff.

Side Thought:
It’s problems/solutions like this which can inspire how we approach what we should be teaching 9-12th graders. Instead of the standard Algebra 1, Geometry, Alg II, Pre-Cal, Calculus pathway, perhaps it is a two-four year pathway of computer science skills, problems, labs, thought experiments which incorporate Geometry, Conics, Trig, Calculus, Statistics, Data Science, Cryptography, CyberCrime, etc. It’s just a matter of time. It would be a lot of fun creating a 4 year pathway combing the skills young minds need in this changing world. We would also need a whole new generation of teachers as well.

Fun times ahead!

Thanks again

I just saw this but I love the idea! @jkeays you always have great ideas!

I feel like we are just starting to scratch the surface of this, students want more, but it is hard to fit it into already crammed schedules! I love the idea of doing a completely integrated data science/stats course for students to take in their “math” electives (we require 3 HS credits of math, but most students get 1-2 of those credits in MS and want to take math all 4 years, which means if they need 1-2 math “electives”). Right now our stats course is super simulation based, which is a step in a positive direction, but it would be cool to have students BUILD the simulations, rather than just put in inputs for the computer…

… when I have my dream job that is 50% teaching and 50% curriculum writing, I am going to do that. For now I just have to run mini-experiments on my students. You might want to check out Bootstrap’s data science unit (http://www.bootstrapworld.org/materials/spring2017/courses/data-science/) which takes a stab at this. I’m still trying to figure out how to implement it in a mini-unit in my advanced algebra class, but I think there’s something there!