PD Discussion Topic: Problem Solving Strategies

-Read the problem aloud
-Draw it out/make a picture if possible
-Talk through the problem with someone else
-Make lists
-Get advice and ideas from others/work together

I haven’t taught this unit yet, it is my first year teaching ECS, but when I used to teach Math I always asked them to underline the question, what do I need to answer? look for all the clues given in the problem, decide a strategy, carry it on, test your answer.

Having the students repeat the problem solving steps, and approach repeat for all problems is big for them. Problems in and out of this curricculum can be used to have students use the steps,

Knowing what exactly is the problem is the first place to start. I really embrace a strategy that is closely made off of the Scientific Method where students should make a prediction on how they are going to solve a problem and then reflect and readjust their strategy to solve the problem if they weren’t successful.

Mine is to start out by asking the question to be solved, have a discussion on possible solutions, then group students together to find a solution to the question asked.

When I taught this lesson, we used the four step method suggested by the curriculum, but also discussed the scientific method. This enforced cross curricular learning and the fact that principles translate from subject to subject and across traditional boundaries.

1. Trial and Error
  2. Guess and Check
  3. Draw it
  4. Draw it out
  5. Storyboard Failure is feedback

is there a problem, identify it, pray about it, write down ideas, pray about it, talk to someone about the problem (collaborate), pray about it, then try a solution, pray about it, If wrong ask for forgiveness, pray about it and then don’t give up :wink:

Define the problem
Brainstorm
Generate ideas
Plan
Produce

Identify the problem, See what things the problem encompasses, see who the problem effects, study the problem, brainstorm solutions, try solutions, and refine solutions

I mix a couple of strategies together: flowcharts, diagrams, lists, but I pretty much always follow the same steps.
Identify the problem
Come up with a few battle plans
Evaluate the plans and choose one
Try it
Did it work?
Redo, refine, etc.

1. Identify the problem
  2. Decide how to best approach the problem
  3. Consider the outcome(s) before going on to “fix” the problem
  4. Discuss options to carry out the plan with colleagues or friends
  5. Decide on a plan and carry it out.
  6. Reflect on anything I would change or do differently.

Like I am reading:
Understand the problem is the first step. I have seem many students will start answering something without really understanding the problem, so they provide an answer to something totally different than the true question.

Brainstorming plans to answer the problem is the next steps

Since there is usually more than one plan to address the problem, the student must determine which plan of action to use.

Carry out the plan

Review your answer and double-check it makes sense.

If it doesn’t make sense, try a different plan to address the problem, carry the new plan out, and review the answer. Continue until you are certain you are comfortable with your answer.

I typically teach math classes so for them I like to use the “GUESS” method of solving word problems.

For computer science, I like using the four steps that were given to us. They’ve seemed to work well with my class so far.

Storyboards are a great way to brainstorm problem solving.

Our school uses the engineering design problem solving process. The students use it in all classes and most everyone in our building comfortable with this process.

1 Like

This whole thing of PBL is so new to me. I’m so thankful for the ideas presented in this forum. They will be helpful to me as I teach the curriculum next semester. I think partnering up would be helpful to the students so that they might be more willing to think outside the box and not be so afraid to take chances in solving problems.

1. Understand the problem - read or listen to the problem statement.

2. Plan to solve the problem - use pictures, charts, graphs, systematic lists, objects, or act out the solution to help you devise a plan to solve the problem.

3. Execution of plan–once the plan is conceived and understood.

4. Reflect on the plan - once the problem is solved, reflect on the plan that was used.

Understanding the problem and breaking the problem down into smaller pieces are good problem strategies and map directly to computer programming.

Break it down into smaller parts. Identify each, develop a plan, execute, check results