PD Discussion Topic: Problem Solving Strategies

In CS my students use manipulatives, drawings, and each other to help solve problems.

When faced with a problem some strategies I use are:

1. Pros and Cons lists
  2. Research and experiment
  3. Collaboration with co-workers

I used to give kids a protocol on how to attack a math problem. They’d have to start by making an educated guess as to how they would solve the problem using key words, symbols and the topic itself. Then they’d think of similarities or differences to other math problems. Then use this to help them come up with a game plan to solve it. The part that always stuck with students were the Graveyard, parts of the problem that were not useful.

Other strategies would be to underline key points, draw a picture, go back and make sure your answer is answering the original question.

I think this really just boils down to the scientific method. All of the same analysis and evaluation methods apply here.

For one of our problem solving activities, students chose a problem at our school. when through the 4 problem solving steps, and came up with solutions.

Identify the problem.
Make a listen of questions to ask that could help resolve problem.
Evaluate answers to questions asked.
Ask more questions if necessary.
Check to see if any answers solve problem or get me closer to a solution.

The steps in the problem solving are:

1. Identify the problem
  2. Explore possible solutions
  3. Implement solutions
  4. Test/refine the result

I like for my students to visualize the problem solving process: draw pictures, charts, graphs, act out the problem, write a script, write a story etc. etc. This makes them use resources they might not otherwise have used.

Make a table. Look for a pattern. Try to generalize. Break large problems into smaller problems.

In programming, trial and error is quite common. The key is to have the students record (mentally or physically) what worked and what did NOT work. My favorite way is to have students who discover how to do something teach the rest of the class what they found and how they found it.

I’ve never had a specific process - just try / reflect / adjust if needed.

Depending on the problem, I sometime use the process of elimination method. I rule out the things that I know can’t possibly be the correct answer or solution then work with the viable options. I also like to use visuals, i.e. making charts or drawings to help solve the problem.

The six steps students recognize in my classroom are below:
–State the Situation
–List the Options
–Weigh the Possible Outcomes
–Consider Values
–Make a Decision and Act
–Evaluate the Decision

My favorite problem solving strategy is to create a table and start with examples that are easy to visualize and solve. Afterwards, start increasing or chaging some of the parameters t try ti find a pattern. Next, is to test your hypothesis and see if it can be applied.

I think the 4 steps in this curriculum are a good start. I would tend to add a step after identifying the problem, to gather information or research all you can about the problem so your plan is informed when putting it in to place and stress the reflection and piece along with receiving feedback in order to improve upon the solution. It is not a one time through type of thing.

I have focused on the engineering design model of problem solving which includes a couple of additional but significant steps: Understand the problem, research the problem, suggest possible solutions (plural), choose one of the solutions, model/test, implement, re-test/redesign. There are several versions of this model with varying numbers of steps, but they all include multiple possible solutions and some model/test element.

The Engineering Design Process is a good tool to use with students when discussing problem solving. I like to show the 12 step process and a simpler 5 step process so students can see the differences, yet analyze the similarities and show how each of the 12 steps actually fits neatly into the 5 steps. It’s a great way to get students to start generating ideas and share how information is processed in order to get results.

I personally use visualizing the problem (and solution) a LOT. Others that I know have been beneficial to me include,

• create a mind map of the problem
  • brainstorm ideas or solutions
  • talk out loud the issue and potential causes or solutions
  • creating a list

I’ve been a huge proponent of letting students incorporate different styles into our classroom. Some kids need to story board their problems or make webs; whereas, other students need to sit and bounce a ball off of a wall. There isn’t one magically process that will work for all other than letting the kids push through the hard problems. They will eventually figure it out, and when they do, they are happy with their results. If they are stuck, I do have them redefine the problem and discuss what information they already know to get to the solution.

When problem solving I use some of the following techniques:
1: Identify the problem.
2: Analyze the situation
3. Brainstorm ideas and solutions
4. Create lists
5. Research solutions