PD Discussion Topic: Problem Solving Strategies

Identify the problem, explore information and create ideas, select the best idea, build and test the idea, evaluate the results…

When I have a task to figure out, I will draw out a diagram and list steps that I need to take to get to the desired outcome. I will then analyze the list that I have made and make adjustments as needed.

My 1st strategy is to understand the problem…what is going on or wrong? How did it possibly happen? what are the elements that might have contributed to the problem?..because you can never sole anything you don’t understand!
Understand the problem - what is happening and why?.
Make a plan to solve the problem - What are ways you can solve it? Is there a quicker way? Is there a better way.
Carry out the plan — once the plan is conceived and understood, follow the plan. If you have planned well, this is the easy part.
Review and reflect - once the problem is solved, reflect on the plan that was used.

Understand the problem/task and ask clarifying questions
think logically - break down into smaller, manageable pieces
draw a visual
act it out
look for patterns

1. Understand the entire problem – know what the end result should be.
  2. Break it down into smaller tasks.
  3. Devise the steps needed to complete the task in order.
  4. Once the task is completed, reflect on it to make sure I did not leave anything out.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 as many times it is needed.
  6. Once the problem is solved, again go over each step to find and correct mistakes.

I teach 3 different classes every semester so I never know exactly what I am teaching until right before the semester starts :frowning: I don’t particularly like this but oh well…that is why I tend to stay in the same mind set for all my classes and teach the same/similar steps to problem solving.
Defining the Problem or Opportunity

1. Identifying the Problem
  2. Develop Possible Solutions
  3. Evaluating the Solution
  4. Communicate the Solution/present to peers
  5. Solution
    I use manipulatives, sketches, role-play,modeling, thinking in reverse

Aside from the steps outlined in the ECS manual: understand the problem, make a plan, execute the plan and review, I included a step in the middle to ask someone- an expert or peers - to review the plan.

One of the most useful things for my students is rewording the problem in their own words before doing anything else. This allows me and them to make sure they really understand the problem.

I think this is repetitious but we constantly teach the problem solving method in every class. The most important thing is making sure the student puts the process in a vocabulary and communication method they understand.

My problem solving strategies are as follows:

• Identify the problem
  • Identify the causes of the problem
  • Research and brainstorm ways to fix or replaces the causes
  • List different ways to fix the problem.
  • Identify the best solution
  • Test, Test, and Test
  • Document everything

Identify the problem

Everyone has the ability to learn. It is just a matter of tapping into the potential and everyone believing that they can learn.

Problem solving strategies are important for all parts of life and a sound foundation will work for most life situations. Problem solving can be viewed like a mantra and if followed it can be applied to any job.

I will focus on the first step; Understanding the problem. If this step is not completed correctly, it does not matter what is done in the other steps because the true problem could not be identified. The following strategies could be used:
• Clarify the issue by breaking down the verbiage in the problem statement (use synonyms for the verbs to gain a better understanding)
• Identify key elements of the problem and compare them to other know problems
• Write the statement on large paper of a large board and step back to view by several individuals and record thoughts
• Draw a picture, listen to the sounds, view a graphical representation, or try to reverse flow the problem to see if you end at a place right before the problem occurred

I love the NGSS science and engineering practices as a way of problem solving. They are simple but can apply to other fields: http://www.nextgenscience.org/sites/ngss/files/Appendix%20F%20%20Science%20and%20Engineering%20Practices%20in%20the%20NGSS%20-%20FINAL%20060513.pdf

The most useful strategy for me is to draw a picture or diagram. I tend to doodle my way to understanding in many areas of my life.

Be the example…show them what it’s like to love to learn!

identify the problem
brainstorm
select a solution
build the solution
test the solution
reevaluate the solution
present the solution

I believe that the key to problem solving is planning, planning, planning… then coming up with a back-up/contingency plan in case the original plan doesn’t work.
After teaching flowcharts, I think that some sort of visual tool (like a flowchart or mind map) is a great way to tackle solving problems.
Scientist are always encouraged to log their answers, results, challenges, etc. in journals, but we all know that it is difficult to get students to write lengthy, descriptive pieces.
Asking students to brainstorm and plan (using a visual tool), then record their tests results on the visual map, then refocus (using the flowchart as a tool) is great way to get kids to see how the problem solving method evolves.

Problem solving is about analyzing the context of the problem first. The read aloud is great. I even have students read, but always stop at commas, and especially periods and reflect on what you know or need to know from the portion you have read. Create a little chart.