Separating Units into 2 sections

I am a high school (9-12) teacher using your CSP curriculum as an elective course. I have my students for 12 weeks at a time, approximately 66 hours. This is obviously not enough time to cover the whole program. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to break the units into 2 sections? My thought would be to teach Units 3 and 5 in one section and Units 1, 2 and 4 in a section section. Hoping to hook students with the program first in hopes they will return for the data portion in the second trimester. Any thoughts?
Thanks! Kristie

Hi @kpellerin!

Congrats on offering this course in creative ways! One thing to consider is that starting off with programming does hook students, but it also can make less experienced students feel “behind”. I personally would consider doing unit 1, the first part of unit 2, and then jumping into unit 3. In my experience, unit 3 is one of students’ favorites in the course, so that should leave them ready for more, but still allow students with less experience to feel welcome (in units 1 and 2). It can be a great class culture builder!

That being said, you know your students better than anyone! Perhaps, jumping in with programming first won’t be an equity issue in your building.

Let us know how it goes!
KT

I agree with Kaitie’s suggestion of ch 1, first part of ch 2 and then ending with ch 3. I find it is nice to mix it up, some non-programming work and some programming. Too much of one or the other can make it more challenging to keep it interesting.