The pattern and rules for your number system
Rules for number system:
- Create all like components first
- Create all combinations of double components
- Create all combinations for single components
Misconceptions that your students may have and questions you can ask to help them overcome these barriers
Misconceptions students may have:
- Student: How can I determine, mathematically, how many different solutions are possible without having to create all of them? Teacher: Do you see any patterns or can you establish a system to make sure that every solution is created?
- Student: How can I put this in an orderly fashion? Teacher: Do you want to work from the left to right, right to left, by shape? Choose a system that seems the most logical to you. There is more than one answer.