Txt Ur Grndkdz App

Some people are creating an app using Google Slides, publishing it to the web, then opening up the published link on a phone and adding it to their home screen. I then created the Txt Ur Grndkdz app in Google Slides and published it to the web. I thought my students would like to open their phones with this link and save it to their home screen as they did the assignment.

Screenshot 2020-09-01 at 4.07.17 PM

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @rebecca.muller! Super cool!

Do you plan on giving this to the kids as they do the assignment or afterward? What do you think the impact would be if you give students the working app prior to the assignment rather than have them figure out what is “supposed” to happen as they work through the lesson?

–Michael K.

1 Like

I thought it may be effective to let them explore the app first and then answer the questions of what happens when…I think after they fill out the info, Ibwill give them the map of how app works. Then they can give feedback on how to make it better. Thoughts?

1 Like

These are both beneficial approaches for sure! I like to allow students to work through the “map” of the app and infer what will happen then check their guesses.

1 Like

Oh cool @rebecca.muller!! I just taught this lesson!!! I had 2 students model being “the computer” and “the facilitator” on the whiteboard. We taped the screens to the board and drew an iphone outline and “the computer” moved the screens in and out of the iphone outline as we read the first and second task and followed the map. The class gave feedback on what screen should be shown. The slides you created would have been great to show what my student “computer” moved into the whiteboard iphone outline (because of course most of the class couldn’t see that). After we modeled two tasks, kids worked on their own (socially distanced of course). Very cool!! Thanks for sharing!!
Michelle

That sounds like a whole lot of fun, but not virtual correct? Can’t wait to see my class again.
Yesterday, I had a thought about the teapots. I wondered if I could come up with something a little different. Well, the lesson is so good, I just had to do it how Code.org laid it out. But then, I built a slide show of different types of cell phone covers and gave students comment rights. They had to write down who the user was for the cell phone case. It was AMAZING! Here is a copy of the slide show with the comments. If you want to use it, just make a copy without the comments.
Here are a few good ones…

user

3 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing all these great resources!

Thanks for sharing! I do feel slightly attacked by some of their responses. :wink:

–Michael K.

1 Like

It does date us! Lol

1 Like

Is it okay if I use this and if so is there anyway to get the embed code for this awesome Google Slide you created?

1 Like