What strategies will you use when facilitating computer science learning in your classroom?

I love the Ask 3 rule! Although, I think they naturally started to do this when we did this during math centers.

When they get stuck, I will sit down and walk them through problem solving why their code didn’t work. Often, before I even have a chance to get through it all, they will catch their error.

I take time for them to share their successes. I can’t tell you how much art I have printed for them! I even had a couple use this for their Science fair project.

I’ve always implemented the “Ask 3” in my programming class. I allow students to sit where they want (grades 7 and 8) and work with their neighbors (pair programming).

This past year, while my room was being used for state testing, we used the one computer in the class with the SmartBoard. I had two students working at the computer - basically driving. The rest of my students work as a class on a problem/program. Each student had to contribute something, but couldn’t contribute twice in a row.

I also had my county CTE Coordinator come in and had my students teach her what programming is about. They enjoyed showing off and explaining their various programs that they completed.

As with many in here, Ask 3 Before Me is popular. Recently I have heard a slight modification or addition to that which included “Search Three”, in which students would run three searches to try and help them find answers to questions.

I think that having students share completed projects or have other students experience the projects is a great strategy as well.

1 Like

I also like the Ask 3 Before Me- I use this in math and Daily 5 Reading rotations. I will also use pair programming. I can’t wait for students to share their accomplishments as well~perhaps a cool bulletin board where students can post their success. This might generate excitement and encourage others to be perseverant.

I see a lot of responses about the ask 3 then me rule. This works really well in the computer lab and accomplishes several things: promotes collaboration and problem solving and frees up your time to help with the more challenging problems.

I like the idea of acting it out … especially if you have a very active and interactive class infront of you they will succeed at this.

I think it is very important to admit to the students that you do not know all the answers and that there can be multiple solutions to some problems (although some are more concise and elegant than others). When students ask a question that you do know the answer to, it is important not to just give it to them. Then you have take a short cut around allowing them to explore, tinker, take risks, make guess, test, debug. Instead, ask them leading questions or make suggestions that will prompt them to take another look at their work and see how to figure out the solution they need.
This can be very frustrating for students who have been “spoon fed” in other classes. If their experience has consisted of memorization and regurgitation, then they will have a hard time when a teacher does not supply all the answers. But, ultimately this is just what they need.

I like the idea of celebrating and sharing the good things that students create! I think this is something that is often forgotten in classrooms these days.

One thing that I will do is allow the students to find a “class expert” to help them solve the problems. They don’t come to the teacher…they rely on each other.

I like the “Ask 3 then me” rule. I also like modeling tough processes for the whole class. Collaboration is also key as I work with students who really enjoy working together.

One will model the behaviors that I wish to see my students acquire when facilitating computer science learning in my classroom. For example, if a student is having trouble solving a problem I will model how I might start thinking through the problem by using the four steps to problem solving as stated previously.

I will encourage acting/drawing the problem out. Also, I will encourage ‘challenging the teacher!’ This will stimulate students to generate ‘harder’ problems.

I will encourage them to work with a partner to problem solve. I would encourage to ask others before they ask me. I would also refer them back to visual posters for problem solving.

I will definitely utilize the ask three before me strategy. This will allow bonds to be formed and students to be more successful, not only in programming, but in life.

Perseverance, using computer science leaning in the classroom will help students to understand how to not give up on self and try try try.

This is the first time teaching code. Also, I am teaching something new. I hope to have students explore with circles and code blocks in the beginning to bridge the gap between equations and coding.

I like that idea! I’ve used “phone a friend” for student-student help, but the tip-tip-tell seems to encourage more independent thought from everyone. Thanks.

I will use “Ask 3 then me” rule. It is great idea.

We started with creating our own mazes or directions on a map from school to home. This helps students understand that computer programming is made up of explicit instructions.
We always share our successes! I love to tweet about what our kids are doing. They share their work in our Google Classroom.

A lot of my students are visual learners so drawing out the problems they face is a very helpful strategy. Also, we like the Ask 3 before me. Students are very good at helping each other and learn more as they assist their classmates!