What strategies will you use when facilitating computer science learning in your classroom?

generaldiscussion

I like showing the students my own problem solving and strategies to help facilitate computer science and other learning. I tend to think out loud when trying to solve a problem so that students can see what steps I take, as well as how I react when things don’t go as planned.

I will use questioning strategies and have students work in teams to solve problems and also work together to produce projects. I will also post projects on the school’s website.

I like ask 3 strategy the most. The peer to peer pairing also will work in my classes. Students are likely to get engaged more and creative by seeing others and helping their classmates when they are stuck with something. Working in teams and collaborating with each other will help in one of my core where I have some English language learners.

Since this will be my first semester teaching computer science I believe I will use the Unplugged activities often. I would also like to incorporate ask 3 and then me. But most importantly, I want to emphasize the need for resilience. To never give up.

this is very good idea. I have used “paramedic” team to help other student who have difficulty to solve their problem. Not for Computer science, but also another lesson, except during the test.

I like the “Ask 3 then me” rule. I usually get the students attention when certain problems pop up during the session. Of course, giving recognition even for the smallest progress made by the students.

Ask probing questions to a student (even if you don’t know the answer to the questions.) Ask your class if anyone has the answer. Get comfortable saying “I don’t know; let’s figure this out together!” Use the students who already love coding. Give them a sense of pride and purpose.

I use some similar strategies that were highlighted in the lesson. I teach my students to ask a neighbor first before asking me. More importantly I emphasize that they ask as many neighbors as possible before asking me. I also teach the terms persistence and F.A.I.L. and that it is ok to fail as long as they practice persistence. Keep trying even when it is hard.